PDA

View Full Version : Secondary air injection system bank 1, insufficient flow (p1423)

dody
05-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi,

I just bought Audi A3 1.6 2001 for the first time ever in my life. On the very next day there was a engine light came up. Had it checked from the dealer and there was a code P1423 (SECONDARY AIR INJECTION SYSTEM BANK 1, INSUFFICIENT FLOW). I ain't got any clue what that is? When i start my engine there is noise like horrible vacuum cleaner for around 60 seconds.

Can anybody explain wot that is and how to fix that noise.

Please HELP

iwaters
08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
The secondary air injection pump provides extra air to the catalytic converter during the warm up phase. It helps the cat reach operating temperature more quickly and helps to oxidise unburnt hydrocarbons present during the rich start up phase.

Now, your error. It sounds like you have a split in the piping between the pump and the air injection valve. This is why you are getting an insufficient flow code and why it sounds like a vac.

Let me know what your engine code is (it is on the white sticker in the spare wheel bay) and I will check the manual to see where the pump is on your car, sould be easy enough to fix.

Cheers