PDA

View Full Version : Question Replica alloys?

legendamongus
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm looking for a set of alloys to use as winter wheels and ebay seems full of replica alloys. What is the general view on replicas? I know there are issues with manufacturing quality and strength etc.

I've found a set of RS6 replicas for a pretty good price. According to the seller, they are manufactured by Central Wheels, a TUV approved company. I know that TUV approved is a good thing, but does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer? Am I better off sticking with OEM?

Also, will 18" wheels that are 8J et42 fit on the b8?

Thanks in advance

ScottyUK
04-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I've had many sets of replicas. I've also organised many group buys for forums over the years and had many conversations with retailers, wholesalers and inporters. What have I learnt from this ?

One thing :

There's simply no guarantees with replicas.

By this I mean you can't guarantee the quality, where they're from etc etc etc etc

I know that wheels badged "Made in Italy" have been imported for about £10 a wheel. I know there are loads of stories about "these are made in the Ronal factory but they're just not stamped Ronal" etc etc

Well sometimes it may be true and many times it isn't. You simply do not know what you're getting it you buy replicas.

Now that's the bad news. The good news is that I've never had an issue with mine or any in the group buys. Perhaps it's due to careful buying (but you never really know the truth) or perhaps I was lucky. None of my wheels were heavier than the OEM ones (a common replica rumour) or bent (another replica rumour). I always ent for exact size matches (except on my TT when I went 17 to 18) including width, diameter, offset etc so as to avoid any other effects etc so I was using them like for like.

There are of course also credible alloy wheel makers who sell "replicas" i.e. wheels very similar to OEM ones. You should have more luck with these brands of wheel as you have a bit more comback to them rather than just an unbranded replica.

The problem is that if you want guarantees then you end up going for OEM wheels which are just crazy prices.

I decided this time to buy wheels from the factory that I liked and to stick with them. My TT had three sets of wheels and my S4 had ( I think four sets).

Oh and to give you an idea of how cheap replicas are, I got a deal (due to putting a lot of business to one company) where they sold me five replicas, four Goodyear F1's fitted, balanced and delivered to my house all for £600 and they made money on it!

phil miller
04-12-2010, 08:39 PM
my GTI 18in alloys are reps, to start with they are 8 in wide rather than the oem 7.5, when i put them on the balancer at work they do show a little out of true but that could be due to use, i have found that rep wheels can be harder to balance then standard wheels as they age but IMHO buying rep wheels is no different to using a motorfactor part instead of a genuine part

Bratty
05-12-2010, 12:45 AM
If you buy an aftermarket alloy wheel (replica or not) if it has the TÜV paperwork with it, approving fitment to your car (they are VERY! specific) then you are on fairly safe ground.
When I was looking for 19 inch wheels for my (EX) A4, I came across some very worrying offers, mostly from china!! ie.buy a couple of hundred!!! EXACT! replica wheels for peanuts (but totally inferior materials and no paperwork).

Dunk

ScottyUK
05-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Oh there's one other risk I've thought of :

People think that if they pay more then they're getting a better quality of wheel. Some times it's true but many times you're simply paying even more for a very cheap product.

It's hard to know either way.

theskyfox
06-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I got a set of Replicas (S-line 2004 styling) for my car, 225/40/r18. was £700 all in with locking wheel nuts, balancing and pirelli pzero tyres. The car runs silky smooth with them on, and not had any problems with them at all. Just buy from a reputable place and youll be fine. I got mine from Rochford tyres. Main dealer wanted £300 per wheel without any tyres, balancing etc...funny thing was I phoned three different main dealers, and they all quoted me different prices for the same thing! so theres really no price standardisation at the dealers which is pretty nuts!

-Andrew

ScottyUK
06-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Rochford are a major wholesaler and supply many wheel retailers in the UK hence you do get good prices ;)

legendamongus
07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Think I'm probably just going to go to wheelbase, as they seem to be able to offer the closest offset requirement (standard offset with 18" is et47 and they offer et45) so should be a closer match. They are only for a few months in winter so I'm not really that bothered about wear and tear anyway.

Geordie Amanda
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Think I'm probably just going to go to wheelbase, as they seem to be able to offer the closest offset requirement (standard offset with 18" is et47 and they offer et45) so should be a closer match. They are only for a few months in winter so I'm not really that bothered about wear and tear anyway.

If it isn’t too late, you could do worse than to give Sheldons of Manchester a ring. They do a huge range of wheels and seem to do a lot of Alloys for Audis. If you get a chance, ring Darren there. I got my S5 replicas in 18” for less than £400 :)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/geordieamanda/IMAG0234.jpg

They also do the other styles of S4/5 wheels for about the same price.

a8 tech
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I have rs6 reps and 10,000 plus miles without a fault, make sure you use extra load tyres

Geordie Amanda
07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I have rs6 reps and 10,000 plus miles without a fault, make sure you use extra load tyres

I got exactly the same spec in my winter tyres as my OE ones. I think it probably contributed to them costing a bit. Still they have been priceless these last few days. :)