PDA

View Full Version : Most useless snow car ever !

jonathon555
04-12-2010, 05:08 PM
I have come the conclusion that my A4 Sline is undoubtably the most useless car in snow ever ! The handbrake freezes solid so you have to virtually burn the clutch out to overcome it. The Esp is nigh on useless, the 245/40/18 pilot sport tyres get defeated by 2 inches of snow on the flat.

It get stuck at every possible opportunity :( this car is on par with my last 3 series.

I have ordered snow tyres for it , but they have not turned up.
mytres.co.uk (the worlds worst customer service)

I really have solittle confidence in bad weather conditions in this car I dare not use it if the forcast looks bad.

I very much doubt I will ever order a 2wd drive car again especially one with this stupid handbrake system.

Is this just me who has suffered with traction this year ?

legendamongus
04-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Handbrake freezing? That sounds pretty grim, haven't noticed that on my car though. I turn ESP off if I get stuck, seems to help a bit.

Haven't had many problems with traction, luckily I haven't had terrible conditions round where I live so that's too be expected... I had a 3 series before as well and that was much worse in the snow. FWD is definitely better than RWD.

That said, I am looking into getting some winter tyres as well. Which ones did you go for?

jonathon555
04-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Handbrake freezing? That sounds pretty grim, haven't noticed that on my car though. I turn ESP off if I get stuck, seems to help a bit.

Haven't had many problems with traction, luckily I haven't had terrible conditions round where I live so that's too be expected... I had a 3 series before as well and that was much worse in the snow. FWD is definitely better than RWD.

That said, I am looking into getting some winter tyres as well. Which ones did you go for?

I have ordered nokian ones, I have the fitted to my wifes Abarth 500 they are awsome.

vwawudi
04-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I have ordered nokian ones, I have the fitted to my wifes Abarth 500 they are awsome.

Did you go for the eNTYRE or the WRG2? mytyres is still showing as having stock so I wonder what's happened?

thescouselander
04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I have come the conclusion that my A4 Sline is undoubtably the most useless car in snow ever ! The handbrake freezes solid so you have to virtually burn the clutch out to overcome it. The Esp is nigh on useless, the 245/40/18 pilot sport tyres get defeated by 2 inches of snow on the flat.

It get stuck at every possible opportunity :( this car is on par with my last 3 series.

I really have solittle confidence in bad weather conditions in this car I dare not use it if the forcast looks bad.

I very much doubt I will ever order a 2wd drive car again especially one with this stupid handbrake system.

I think you are being two generous there - my old 3 series was better in the snow. The A4 cant handle the cold IMO and its not just the handling thats a problem - all very disappointing really.

jonathon555
04-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Did you go for the eNTYRE or the WRG2? mytyres is still showing as having stock so I wonder what's happened?

I have ordered wrg2 for the Audi, the Abarth 500 has WR on it.

How can you see what is in stock ?

We have a set of Avon ice touring for a BMW on order they are available to order but they have emailed us to say they have no stock. They have offered us star performer which they have still not despatched after a week. They really are a crap company

phil miller
04-12-2010, 08:24 PM
a lot of the problem is to do with the tyre size, my GF had a mk5 105 with 195 wheels, mine is on 225 hers is alot beeter in the snow than mine, as for your handbrake issue we had 2 vauxhalls in yesterday with frozen handbrakes and my brothers astra coupe is suffering, he now leaves in gear rather than use the handbrake, its a common problem across all makes not just VAG cars

adrianwalker
04-12-2010, 09:07 PM

IMHO and experience most of the problems with driving in the snow is due to the fact that we don't get enough practice. Four wheel drive and good tyres will help but its not the solution.

ScottyUK
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Is it FWD or quattro you're stuggling with? I too have an S-line and the 19" wide wheels certainly do it no favours. I've a quattro so the main surprise to me was how little braking was required recently to activate ABS. I really was surprised but I'm not sure how much was conditions (wet ice) and how much was the tyre size and/or make.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is that Audi recommend turning off ASR (one push on the ESP button) in snow/loose surfaces.

Bricktop20
04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
i agreet ,my a4 sline is a pile of ***** in the snow , i live in morpeth northumberland first day of snow got stuck straight away had to be towed home then got stuck again trying to put it on my drive ,hence its not been off the drive now for over a week and this could be the very start of a long winter,seriously thinking of parting company with it as i have no confidence in the car as much as i love it, and it doesnt help when my wife takes the **** out of me in her little c1 that just ploughs through the snow with great ease:mad:

baylissboy
04-12-2010, 09:42 PM

I'd have to disagree with you, my RS500 with 350BHP was the worse car in snow, EVER!!!!

pitch3110
04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
The A4 is no angel, but my 3 Series of old was an absolute pig.
A colleague has a 3 Series of the same vintage as my S line and it has proved a great dEal worse this past couple of weeks.

Pitch

Geordie Amanda
05-12-2010, 01:29 AM
My previous BMW 123D had about as much grip as Gordon Brown had on our economy. My current Quattro with its winter tyres is superb (I have posted a few snow pictures in another thread). Over all, it's nearly as good as my old Sedici 4x4 was on it's snow tyres. I have stuck with the original tyres size of 245/40/18" and have absolutely no trouble at all. In fact I have just driven up to the North East tonight and had no trouble going through Co Durham and a bit of snowy Northumberland. Only a bit of deep snow rattling the underside worried me. :D

vwawudi
05-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Is it FWD or quattro you're stuggling with? I too have an S-line and the 19" wide wheels certainly do it no favours. I've a quattro so the main surprise to me was how little braking was required recently to activate ABS. I really was surprised but I'm not sure how much was conditions (wet ice) and how much was the tyre size and/or make.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is that Audi recommend turning off ASR (one push on the ESP button) in snow/loose surfaces.

I think I may have a fault with my ESP button. Nothing happens when I press it. The dash light that's supposed to come on when it's turned off is not coming on at all. Single push, 3second push - nothing happens, no lights.

I got stuck in some snow on Tuesday night and tried to run off the ESP without effect. Thought nothing of it till I tried again yesterday and today (just for fun).

Dealer trip??

ScottyUK
05-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I'd be straight back to them. If there's an issue like than then somethings up and you don't want to find out at the wrong time.

Zenerdiode
05-12-2010, 12:35 PM
It's simply down to tyres. Before getting my B8 quattro in January, I owned a B5 FWD for 10(!) years. Always fitted with Michelin Pilots and never been stuck in snow, ever. About October time last year I asked my mate to 'just get it through an MOT' and he put some 'runners' on - which were tyres of various manufacturers that had some life left in them. It transferred the car into an embarrasment. I live just out of Newcastle in the higher ground and last year's snow was a major problem to me - I sometimes couldn't even move a metre on the flat!

How does this happen? Amanda's photographs in another thread illustrates this perfectly. The 'runners' that my mate had fitted were quite cheap summer tyres. To make them last longer, they're made of a harder rubber compound. Also, when you look at the tread profile; it's like having five slicks side by side, with very few side sipes at all. Look at Amanda's tyres and straight away you'll see there is not a continuous band of tread. Nice thick chunky patterns. Look at the tread blocks more closely and you'll see each block is made up of many smaller blocks, these all move independantly to provide good grip on even icy surfaces. Moving independantly, they also purge the tread of snow on each revolution.

Like everything in life though, it's a comprimise and all of those tiny blocks moving indepedently create a great deal of wear in warm dry conditions and won't last a year if she leaves them on all round.

wj209980
06-12-2010, 03:42 PM
My new A4 SLine has also been totally useless in this weather from a traction point of view (everyone apart from me can get out of my street)

BUT

Not had a problem with the electric handbrake getting stuck - and where we are it's been down as low as -18 a few times!

theskyfox
06-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Sorry to hear you guys are having so many problems in the snow. For what its worth..Ive had to dig my sisters BMW 1 series out of the snow three times now in the past week. To say rear wheel drive is useless in the snow would be an understatement....Ive got a 2004 audi a4 1.9tdi front wheel drive....with the 16" wheels (205/55/r16) and snow tyres, shes handled in the snow better than most cars ive seen...used it to tow the 1 series out. Its got a real handbrake as well...handy for the corners! Seems a shame that the newer cars are having so many issues...im changing my car in april next year and its making me think twice!

-Andrew

Ardy
06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Well i have been really impressed with mine to be honest, was worried at first with having such big tyres/wheels and weight + the auto box, never driven in an auto in the snow and ice before now. No snow tires.

It saved me many times - in D there's a small amount of crawl which i think is better than my clutch control ever was and it has slowly pulled me out of most situations with ease. The only time it all got a bit too much was when the temp plumetted on Thursday i think, i got stuck on ice lumps a few times but that's been more my own bad parking.

All in all been very impressed and surprised really. ASR was on the whole time didn't realise it was recommended to turn it off until i read this thread! - since then its been even better I think.

Of course I have been taking it very easy and only around town my driving but many very icy starts from awkward side roads have been achieved and never had a problem off the drive. We must have had at least 1-2 feet of snow the last week. Been fun! :D

So there's one for the positive side of FWD s-line 18/factory tire combo:p

vwawudi
06-12-2010, 07:14 PM
:aargh4: I just realised that my rears have worn down to 2mm!!! No doubt contributing to the nasty lack of grip I've had occasionally. Today, things got pretty bad and my rear end was sliding all over the place. I had to hold it in with my brake pedal even while the park brake was engaged! :zx11:
Mind the snow was heavy though, positively blizzard(y).

Fronts are at 6mm right now.

I now need a set of winter tyres/wheels (I thought the worst of the winter was over, boy was I wrong!) AND a set of summer tyres for the rear.

Money, money, money!

Big Bird
06-12-2010, 08:38 PM
well, i cant sing my cars praises enough tonight.

If you live in Scotland, you'll know the M8 and M9 are like car parks- 6-7 hour delays. I left Stirling, went across country roads, A and B class, traction off and let the quattro do it's stuff. I didn't get stuck once and made really good progress. A trip which usually takes 30 minutes took me 80 tonight, but i can live with that!!

Fantastic car- love it.:biglaugh:

Hammy969
06-12-2010, 09:04 PM
well, i cant sing my cars praises enough tonight.

If you live in Scotland, you'll know the M8 and M9 are like car parks- 6-7 hour delays. I left Stirling, went across country roads, A and B class, traction off and let the quattro do it's stuff. I didn't get stuck once and made really good progress. A trip which usually takes 30 minutes took me 80 tonight, but i can live with that!!

Fantastic car- love it.:biglaugh:

Big Bird

The forum needs a "like" button for your post
;)

paultheo
06-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Also pleased with mine 245 Bridgestones a lot better than I expected even let the other holf out in the car (safer than her RWD mid engine 2 seater. Saw plenty of people that should not be allowed out in the wet let alone snow and ice.

greeng4309
07-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Surprised to hear so many negative comments about the A4's snow performance. We had a few inches down in Hants last week, and not one issue at all. I've covered 21k since getting my car in May, and am still on the same set of tyres. (Bridgestones)

Compared to my last car, an 07 plate 320d, the A4 performance in the snow is a dream.

hotbilly
07-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I agree about that the A4 is useless in the snow but I have just had my 225/50/R17 Falken eurowinter HS439's fitted from Mytyres and the improvement is astounding. I can now get out of the street with no sliding. Falken may not be the greatest winter tyre but was all I could get at a sensible price (£111 fitted) I last looked on the site and they had gone up to £267 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pleased I got them.

Bill;)

vwawudi
07-12-2010, 04:00 PM
^^
hotbilly, the profiteering is unbelievable! I know this is capitalism but c'mon!

vwawudi
07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I agree about that the A4 is useless in the snow but I have just had my 225/50/R17 Falken eurowinter HS439's fitted from Mytyres and the improvement is astounding. I can now get out of the street with no sliding. Falken may not be the greatest winter tyre but was all I could get at a sensible price (£111 fitted) I last looked on the site and they had gone up to £267 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pleased I got them.

Bill;)

Hey Bill,

How are the Falken's doing. ANY negatives? I'm leaning towards them over the Nankang's as I think they've got history and the M+S marking. Your recce is another factor. Quick, before they run out!

hotbilly
07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
No negatives so far but Ive only had them 2 days. Not even a wheelspin on snow/slush/ice so I am pleased up to now, I feel much more confident when I hit snow/ice and don't worry about inclines. Any slope was virtually impossible before (Michelin Premacy HP)

Geordie Amanda
07-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Well I have made it back safely from the North East and some pretty heavy snow. Winter tyres and Quattro performed faultlessly and I even tried a little bit of needless hill climbing for good measure (and to surprise a friend with a Discovery :D ). The only fly in the ointment is the ground clearance, which is awfully poor and I don’t have the lowest suspension! Once ruts are cut in the snow and the middle bit freezes, my car made horrible noises as it drove along them (Nothing is hanging off underneath so I assume I should be OK). Mind you, I could drive off to one side of the ruts and carve my way through the fresher snow, without having to sorry about the bottoming :)

vwawudi
08-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Well I have made it back safely from the North East and some pretty heavy snow. Winter tyres and Quattro performed faultlessly and I even tried a little bit of needless hill climbing for good measure (and to surprise a friend with a Discovery :D ). The only fly in the ointment is the ground clearance, which is awfully poor and I don’t have the lowest suspension! Once ruts are cut in the snow and the middle bit freezes, my car made horrible noises as it drove along them (Nothing is hanging off underneath so I assume I should be OK). Mind you, I could drive off to one side of the ruts and carve my way through the fresher snow, without having to sorry about the bottoming :)

I've always wondered about ground clearance especially now that I'm considering getting a 16" wheel for the winter. Do you think this will be an issue? Much of a drop?

jonathon555
08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Update :

My Tyres completely dropped me in it , after a weeks Waite from ordering they have decided that they don't want to forfill my order for the 245/40/18 nokians

I have had to do a journey out to malton north Yorkshire today & completely lost sleep with worry about if it snows today.

Well it did snow heavily whilst I was there & the car barely made it up the inclines.

By chance a local tyre place in Stockton on tees had got a big tyre delivery today from vriedestein . And by pure fluke there was only 10 winter Tyres delivered out of 300 Tyres . Those 10 were all 245/40/18 Wintrac extremes £170 each fitted. A pair are now on the front of my A4.

The car is vastly improved but still no mountain goat. At least I won't worry so much

AndyH123
08-12-2010, 11:12 PM
My A4 2.0 TDI manual was in for a service when the snow hit recently, I'm still running the Michelin PS2's I put on to cope with the madness early this year. No problems getting to the garage.

I was hoping I'd get a Quattro loaner.. didn't happen. So I got to play with a 2.0 TDI automatic with factory 19" tyres. I got stuck in slush. Managed to get out with some wiggling. Then later I entered an icy car park, the ABS had a fit crawling down a slight hill, so I knew I was in for fun getting out. Only just made it.

Get back to the garage, hop back into mine and get home with no problems.

What I find odd is that every time I mention snowy stories like this to the Audi garage they just shrug their shoulders as if I'm the only one to have had any problems.

vwawudi
09-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Update :

My Tyres completely dropped me in it , after a weeks Waite from ordering they have decided that they don't want to forfill my order for the 245/40/18 nokians

I have had to do a journey out to malton north Yorkshire today & completely lost sleep with worry about if it snows today.

Well it did snow heavily whilst I was there & the car barely made it up the inclines.

By chance a local tyre place in Stockton on tees had got a big tyre delivery today from vriedestein . And by pure fluke there was only 10 winter Tyres delivered out of 300 Tyres . Those 10 were all 245/40/18 Wintrac extremes £170 each fitted. A pair are now on the front of my A4.

The car is vastly improved but still no mountain goat. At least I won't worry so much

You didn't fit them all round? Thot you weren't supposed to mix and match winter/summer sets? Happy you have an improved ride. I'm leaving my car at home for the next few days till the roads here thaw. Not fun driving on the motorway trying to keep away from frozen patches/lakes like icecubes etc.

Oh Scotland, can I cope with your winters?

Geordie Amanda
09-12-2010, 01:30 AM
I've always wondered about ground clearance especially now that I'm considering getting a 16" wheel for the winter. Do you think this will be an issue? Much of a drop?

If you adjust your tyre to keep the same rolling radius, then you should have the same ground clearance. :)

Actually, can I just add, now that everyone seems to be moving to narrower tyres and smaller wheels, I had zero problems in the snow during my recent trip to the North East on 245/40/18" winter tyres. Absolutely none!! No problems at all!! I truly believe that in this country dropping wheel diameter and tyres size is a waste of time. Apart from the quite likely insurance increase, the benefit in snow is pretty marginal in this country imho. But the really big mistake i believe, is that you spend 90-95 days of your 100 days wearing winter tyres, driving around on roads that are free from snow. I can't see what the benefit of driving my nigh-on 2 tonne car around on bicycle tyres is. So for me, the 90-95 days that I have the tyres the car was designed to have and that can cope with the amount of torques that I have to play with, is a no brainer. I have never enjoyed drving about on space saver tyres and can't see how having 4 of them improves most of my daily driving that is not in snow :DI have put on my nicely tailored flame proof jacket :D

jonathon555
09-12-2010, 08:56 AM
You didn't fit them all round? Thot you weren't supposed to mix and match winter/summer sets? Happy you have an improved ride. I'm leaving my car at home for the next few days till the roads here thaw. Not fun driving on the motorway trying to keep away from frozen patches/lakes like icecubes etc.

Oh Scotland, can I cope with your winters?

You are correct in what you say, you are not meant to mix winter / summer Tyres as you end up with oversteering & the rear wheels locking up under braking.

But unfortunatley beggers can't be Choosers , out of the 10 Tyres 8 were sold instantley . Leaving 2

I can handle comedy oversteering , what I can't handle is being stuck in 2 inches of slush.

robtt09
09-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Well. we have run front winter tyres on our previous Mini and now Alfa Mito with no problems.Asked the depot where we got them fitted and they said there are no issues doing this. I have all weather tyres on the Audi and with quattro have not had any serious problems.Having said that, off to a land auction tonight at a pub on the Scarborough /Whitby road and that will be a test indeed !
Managing Director of the tyre depot showed me an X5 where owner came in with tyres/wheel combo ,which he had bought off the internet, which he wanted fitting.Original wheels were 20" and the new ones,with snow tyres, 17".The car looked weird. The Owner of depot said it was quite likely he will roll it the first time he does a swerve on ordinary tarmac!

liverirish
10-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Its true they are useless utterly useless in the snow or even a light bit of snow. A micra would devour it!!!!

HotChip
12-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I agree, S-Lines are worse than useless. Even my wife's 1 Series can get out of our street!

adrianwalker
12-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I agree, S-Line's are worse than useless. Even my wife's 1 Series can get out of our street!

I have just borough some snow socks for my S-Line from Micks Garage http://www.micksgarage.ie/tyre-snow-socks.aspx . Tried to buy them from www.snowchains.co.uk (http://www.snowchains.co.uk) but they don't reply to emails or telephone call. I think they are better than the Weiss ones anyway.

avant_adam
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Not a particularly helpful comment I know - but the quattro is absolutely awesome in the snow. Sorry to sound smug. Only gets stuck when the wheels are lifted clear of the road by the snow under the car.

Sorry to hear that the FWD are so bad.

Adam

adrianwalker
12-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Not a particularly helpful comment I know - but the quattro is absolutely awesome in the snow. Sorry to sound smug. Only gets stuck when the wheels are lifted clear of the road by the snow under the car.

Sorry to hear that the FWD are so bad.

Adam

True, but be careful not to damage the underside of you car in deep snow. Ice is very hard and can easily rip the underside. BTW I will be getting a quattro next time.

interbear
13-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Agree 100% with the original post. S-Line with it's fat tyres behaves shockingly. Even a slight covering of snow renders the car virtually redundant. I wouldn't have one again, would either Quattro or pick something with skinnier wheels. Which would be a shame as it looks great ;-)

tester
13-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Instead of forking out £100's on snow tyres for that couple of weeks of snow, what about a more cost effective alternative like snow socks? Has anyone tried them?

Geordie Amanda
13-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Instead of forking out £100's on snow tyres for that couple of weeks of snow, what about a more cost effective alternative like snow socks? Has anyone tried them?

Most of us that have 'Winter Tyres' know they work far better than regular tyres during the winter months. They are not just for snow, but are designed for cold weather and all that it brings!. They cost nothing in the long run as they save you wearing your regular tyres whilst they are on and the only real world expense is the cost of a second set of winter wheels (which have a resale value too). Socks are good, winters tyres are brilliant. I drive around with the best option tyres at all times during the winter months :)

Eddo1968
13-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Snow socks are excellent, however they are really a temporary solution to get you out of fix. My Allroad was recently stuck on the drive after a heavy snow fall and the only way to get out was with the socks. The only trouble is I made the mistake of leaving them on until I got on the motorway. I pulled over on to the uncleared hard shoulder to remove them and the car nearly got stuck again (even with the socks) I removed one and then had to stop half on the HS and half on the only clear lane and whip off the other when it was clear of other traffic. Not recommended!

I now have winter tyres so am happy:Blush:

ScottyUK
14-01-2011, 05:23 PM
A4's useless in the snow? Yup.

Check this video for the proof ;) :D

http://video.ultimatestreet.com/video/22357/audi-a4-snow-drifting-after-blizzard-january-2011

DrAce
14-01-2011, 07:02 PM
A4's useless in the snow? Yup.

Check this video for the proof ;) :D

http://video.ultimatestreet.com/video/22357/audi-a4-snow-drifting-after-blizzard-january-2011

Perhaps that's not front wheel drive there ;)

didkobandita
14-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Do I need to comment :biglaugh: ? I post my videos not good as this one, but done something similar in Feb/2009 on a Waitrose car park was a fun

Guys, as most of you know, when the temperature is below 8C you should put winter tyres, so they will be used for few months :beerchug:
The best car in the Snow since my 1986 Golf Cynchro

simfin
14-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I reckon my previous car - a BMW 1-series Msport would give any car a run for its money as the "worst car in the snow" award catagory.

Was stuck for 3 days in January on a drive with the slightest slope youve ever seen.

Long live quattro :D

Bratty
14-01-2011, 08:54 PM
"Most useless snow car ever"?

I would not fancy venturing out in a blizzard driving a Reliant Robin (even with winter tyres!).

Count your blessings;).

Dunk

Geordie Amanda
14-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I reckon my previous car - a BMW 1-series Msport would give any car a run for its money as the "worst car in the snow" award catagory.

Was stuck for 3 days in January on a drive with the slightest slope youve ever seen.

Long live quattro :D

My previous 123D Beemer was equally rubbish. In fact I bought a second hand Fiat Sedici to get me through the last couple of winters (Brilliant little 4x4 for winter use and only lost £400 in 2 years!!)

Anyhoo, the quattro seem to be more than adequate :) at least until I beached it :D

owen824
17-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Yeh, I have to say my audi a4 was utterly useless in the snow. two years in a row here in edinburgh we have gotten hammered and the car has failed miserably. I only bought it back in october of 09 and i am going to change up to the quattro in april probably. Cannot deal with another winter where i have to drive around with a shovel and two 25kg sacks of grit in the boot to get me out of jams! :zx11:

here is a picture of my street and this was only the beginning! i had the luxury of the car pointing up the street and the street slopes towards the curb so anytime i tried to move i just slid back into the space and against the curb! very frustrating!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m33/owen824/IMG_0219.jpg