PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Shocking phone call

chassey
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi All,

Have just had one of those "shocking phone calls" from my Audi dealer.

I have a 55 reg Audi A4 SE that I have owned since new. Overall, have been really happy with the car and never had any (significant) issues. Mileage is now about 85,000.

One month ago, I put it in for a major service at my Audi dealer - and they completed the service, plus put new break pads on the front wheels & MOT.

Then, approx a week ago - I started to get two (probably unrelated) issues :-

- Firstly the break lights would come on when the car was left overnight. On a couple of mornings in the past week I have had to jump start the car. When I had noticed the issue in time, pressing the break pedal a couple of times resolved the issue. I suspected the pedal was "falling" for some reason overnight and pressing the switch that activated the lights. My Heath Robinson solution was to wedge a tin of beans (Heinz) under the pedal at night.

- Similarly - a week or so ago, the car has been switching between drive mode (its an auto) and sports mode. This always seems to happen 20 min after I have been driving - and I am keeping the car in normal drive mode. On a couple of occassions I have lost power, but overall the car appears to be driving normally.

Have had the car in the dealer today to check both the above issues.

- To resolve the break issue, they say the switch on the break pedal needs replacing (£134 including labour)

- To resolve the gear issue - they "suggest/recommend" replacing the Engine Management System at a cost of £1436. However, they say that they cannot guarantee this will resolve the issue, and it may just need a new gearbox (oh - and that will be £4576). I was a bit staggered by this - given all the electronics etc. within cars these days - that they are not able to really diagnose what the problem is or what part is causing it!

- Interestingly, they also said I needed new break pads/discs at the rear (discs lipped). To which I asked - "the car was with you 4 weeks ago for a major service and MOT - why was this not picked up then??". The service "front desk" person said "oh" and said they would talk to the tech who had done the earlier work........

I just wanted any guidance on the above from the collective wisdom on the forum. I know that cars "always need work" doing at some point - but I was a bit staggered at the "you might resolve the issue if you spend this £1,500 - you might not" attitude.

All comments/thoughts appreciated, Craig

johnloaderuk
01-12-2010, 07:04 PM
I'd look for a good independent dealer, preferably one that's been recommended to you by someone you know and ask their diagnosis.

phil miller
01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
brake light switch £134 fitted :eek: they cost about £45 and take 5 mins to fit, total rip off IMHO

Roonster
01-12-2010, 08:11 PM
I had the same problem with the brake light switch, the cold was causing the switch to contract causing the brake lights to come on overnight and flatten the battery. it cost me 40 quid to replace from the local Audi Indie.

johnloaderuk
01-12-2010, 08:58 PM
I had the same problem with the brake light switch, the cold was causing the switch to contract causing the brake lights to come on overnight and flatten the battery. it cost me 40 quid to replace from the local Audi Indie.

Surely a new switch can also contract when cold and cause the same problem ?. Maybe nothing to do with the cold perhaps, just a faulty switch.

Ben
01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Surely a new switch can also contract when cold and cause the same problem ?. Maybe nothing to do with the cold perhaps, just a faulty switch.

.......that they have subsequently redesigned perhaps as they found the problem with the original ones???

Ben
01-12-2010, 09:23 PM
- To resolve the gear issue - they "suggest/recommend" replacing the Engine Management System at a cost of £1436. However, they say that they cannot guarantee this will resolve the issue, and it may just need a new gearbox (oh - and that will be £4576). I was a bit staggered by this - given all the electronics etc. within cars these days - that they are not able to really diagnose what the problem is or what part is causing it!

Craig,

it maybe cheaper for you to get rid quickly, part ex it for a manual one. I bet it would cost you less to part ex.

bez101
02-12-2010, 12:34 PM
i got a switch last week 22+ from audi 5 mins to fit

Road Rocket
02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Craig,

it maybe cheaper for you to get rid quickly, part ex it for a manual one. I bet it would cost you less to part ex.

Yeah great - and then let some poor unsuspecting buyer be saddled with the problem. That would be really nice for somebody who perhaps has saved hard for the car. Maybe it takes a certain kind of person to do that but I could never knowingly sell on something which has prospective major problems, but then I suppose perhaps I'm the mug these days - but at least I have a clear conscious.

zollaf
02-12-2010, 01:49 PM
i think ben actually means px it at a vw dealer for another vw. it then becomes vw's problem, as it will obviously have a warranty.

david2
03-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Had exactly the same problem three weeks ago with my neighbours thinking I had left my lights on. Had to prop the pedal up during the nights to keep lights off. All it cost me was £8.38 plus vat for the switch from Audi and 5 mins to fit all now ok. Car is a 2005 TDI 2.0.

Ben
03-12-2010, 11:26 PM
i think ben actually means px it at a vw dealer for another vw. it then becomes vw's problem, as it will obviously have a warranty.

Thanks zollaf. Exactly the point. Part ex it and when you get home with your new car, ring them up and say you forgot to mention the issue so they can fix before its sold on. Clearly you wouldn't be able to go back to that dealership for work so buy a car from a dealer some distance away.

darich
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Clearly you wouldn't be able to go back to that dealership for work so buy a car from a dealer some distance away.

I would argue that point.
It's up to the dealer to check the car and ensure it's of a good standard.
It would be wrong and irresponsible of the dealer to assume that every part exchange owner would tell them of every fault or potential fault prior to trade in.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem going back to a dealer having traded in a car that they hadn't checked over properly.

I think the problem now would be that it's been in and diagnosed so the dealer may well have it on record of the work that may be required. That could then be used as a bargaining tool to lower the value of the car. However, other dealers may not be privvy to that information.

djlucas
10-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Same thing happened to me except the brake light flattened my battery, AA had to come out to open the car and charge the battery. Had a new battery fitted at Halfords!:(! And got the brake light switch done at local Audi dealer......can't remember how much it was, less than £50 I think (+ £100 for the battery!)