PDA

View Full Version : ebay "new U281"

johnandles
01-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Hello anyone had experience with this scanner / code eraser?
I need it to clear my airbag fault on a 1999 polo n6 to see if I have fixed the fault.
Any help
Cheers
John
link...http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-U281-OBD-CODE-READER-SCANNER-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-/170565993695?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item27b68684df

Eshrules
01-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I used to sell them and they're very good tools, for the budget. They're basic, but will do the job.

johnandles
01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I used to sell them and they're very good tools, for the budget. They're basic, but will do the job.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
Hope it clears my fault.
Cheers john

sharansporttdi
01-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Can you not just disconnect the battery for 5 mins, then reconnect?? This used to work when I had a management light on (MAF) so I cleaned the MAF and by disconnecting the battery, this erased the light.

FYI, this was on a Volvo, but may work on your car.

A4 Lad
01-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Can you not just disconnect the battery for 5 mins, then reconnect?? This used to work when I had a management light on (MAF) so I cleaned the MAF and by disconnecting the battery, this erased the light.

No, this will not work on VAG vehicles

Eshrules
02-12-2010, 06:14 PM

not quite sure how you managed to deduce that it was caused by the MAF, MAF faults generally relate to the running of the engine with the MAF disconnected, as opposed to a fault code being generated directly by them.

As Bangor lad says, the battery off won't work.

sharansporttdi
03-12-2010, 12:07 AM
not quite sure how you managed to deduce that it was caused by the MAF, MAF faults generally relate to the running of the engine with the MAF disconnected, as opposed to a fault code being generated directly by them.

As Bangor lad says, the battery off won't work.

I think that you have misread my example. The point that I was making was that sometimes you don't need to use a code reader or scanner to reset a fault light. The Maf was an example of this, and is not related whatsoever to the airbag light. :p

Eshrules
05-12-2010, 10:59 PM
sorry, but you do have to be somewhat pedantic when it comes to car faults.

removing the battery to clear a fault is a poor practice and one which 1)I've yet to see work 2) I actively discourage.

for the price of them, fault scanners/reading software such as VCDS ought to be as necessary to purchase as fuel and oil.

nikkiy9
06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
sorry esh but i've got to disagree with you, on SOME cars you can clear the fault codes by removing the battery, before i had the use of a scanner i used to do this to the other half's focus, but once i managed to borrow the scanner and find out what the issue was i deleted the fault, replaced the part 2 weeks later (was waiting for the lambda sensor to arrive) so once i changed the sensor i removed battery again!

Eshrules
07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
sorry esh but i've got to disagree with you, on SOME cars you can clear the fault codes by removing the battery, before i had the use of a scanner i used to do this to the other half's focus, but once i managed to borrow the scanner and find out what the issue was i deleted the fault, replaced the part 2 weeks later (was waiting for the lambda sensor to arrive) so once i changed the sensor i removed battery again!

removing the battery/refitting the part might have removed the EML light, but the logged fault code will (afaik) still remain. Not that it matters, you're talking about a Ford, I don't work on Fords as, well. They're Ford.

Regardless, the practice of removing a battery to clear fault codes is a poor practice and one I refuse to adopt, if there's an OBD port, I'll use a fault reader to read and clear, after investigation. Without doing so, you're effectively working blind and missing (potentially) more serious faults.