PDA

View Full Version : Caddy 1.9D gearbox oil filler ?

JKent
23-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Help! :1zhelp: I have just bought a 1998 VW Caddy 1.9D pick up (625) with 5 speed manual box. I want to change the gearbox oil but I can't find a fill/level plug anywhere. I have looked in the Lindsay Porter manual and several VW Haynes manuals and none show anything like my gearbox. There are no 17mm hex socket plugs in the box. There is what looks like a drain plug at the bottom of the diff (looks similar to engine drain plug) and also a smaller (10mm?) allen screw on the underside but I really can't find a fill/level plug anywhere.
Any suggestions very gratefully received.:confused:

ozz1e
23-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi, drain the oil from the plug on the bottom of the diff, after refitting plug remove the speedo cable from the top of gearbox, remove the speedo drive & fill through open hole to manufactures spec.Refit the drive & cable.

JKent
24-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks very much for that. I've just done it and it worked a treat. Still seems odd that there just isn't a level plug ... but at least now I know there is good clean oil in it! Finished just in time to watch Rossi show them how it's done at Donnington too.

Thanks again. :D