PDA

View Full Version : Question Which winter tyres & speed ratings?

glasgowsoundman
30-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm considering winter tyres on my 200 Passat Estate. I was considering them following last winter, but didn't get round to it before this lot of snow arrived. On-line, I can get Meteor Winter IS21, Nankang S600 or Cooper Weathermaster SIO2.

Question 1) Does anyone have any experience of/recommendations on the above?

Question 2) Currently I have V speed rated tyres. How low can I go on a speed rating to widen my choice?

Thanks,

Duncan

stonedagain
30-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm considering winter tyres on my 200 Passat Estate. I was considering them following last winter, but didn't get round to it before this lot of snow arrived. On-line, I can get Meteor Winter IS21, Nankang S600 or Cooper Weathermaster SIO2.

Question 1) Does anyone have any experience of/recommendations on the above?

Question 2) Currently I have V speed rated tyres. How low can I go on a speed rating to widen my choice?

Thanks,

Duncan
Fitting tyres with an incorrect speed rating can invalidate your insurance.

glasgowsoundman
30-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Fitting tyres with an incorrect speed rating can invalidate your insurance.

Good point, well made. However the majority of winter tyres seem to be H or T rated. I'm not saying you are wrong in what you have stated, but surely the problem arises if you drive in excess of the speed rating of the tyres. H rated tyres are rated for speeds up to 130mph. T rated are up to 118mph. Am I likely to be approaching anywhere near those speeds? No, I am not.

What about question 1?

stonedagain
30-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Tyres are rated according to the speed which the vehicle is capable of, not the speed at which you drive.

glasgowsoundman
30-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Tyres are rated according to the speed which the vehicle is capable of, not the speed at which you drive.

Thanks for clarifying that.

zollaf
30-11-2010, 03:30 PM
you could take an audsi r8 and fit h rated tyres to it. nothing wrong with that, or illegal, so long as you know you are responsible if it all ends in tears. indeed, many off road tyres are only rated to 56 mph, but the average landrover can do more than that. ok, not much more, but it can.

glasgowsoundman
30-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks to the 2 forum members for their responses.

Leaving the tyre rating for now, any advice on the winter tyres or recommendations for other makes?

Tony_Essex
30-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Having a different speed rating on your tyre does NOT invalidate you insurance as long as you notify your insurer. For example I have H rated winter tyres on my B6, which as standard has W rated tyres, and my insurer was more than happy for those to be on my car for this winter, and made a note, but didn't charge a penny more. If you think about it, it is in their interest for us to use winter tyres as it reduces the risk.

In Europe you have to have a sign in your car stating winter tyres fitted, and what the speed rating of the tyre is, as the more serious snow tyre used there are typically limited to a Q speed rating.

RE: the tyres go for the Cooper(US made) or the Meteor(Italian) over the Nankangs (Chinese), as these have a slightly better reputation. Personally I can recommend the Hankook Winter i*cept evos...but they cost a bit more.

snapdragon
30-11-2010, 06:23 PM
EU rules tightened up a lot of the wriggle-outs that UK insurers were using so hopefully this was one of them.

glasgowsoundman
01-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Having a different speed rating on your tyre does NOT invalidate you insurance as long as you notify your insurer. For example I have H rated winter tyres on my B6, which as standard has W rated tyres, and my insurer was more than happy for those to be on my car for this winter, and made a note, but didn't charge a penny more. If you think about it, it is in their interest for us to use winter tyres as it reduces the risk.

In Europe you have to have a sign in your car stating winter tyres fitted, and what the speed rating of the tyre is, as the more serious snow tyre used there are typically limited to a Q speed rating.

RE: the tyres go for the Cooper(US made) or the Meteor(Italian) over the Nankangs (Chinese), as these have a slightly better reputation. Personally I can recommend the Hankook Winter i*cept evos...but they cost a bit more.

Tony,

Very useful info, thanks. As it turned out, over the curse of the day, the Cooper tyres were on 1-2 week delivery. Being wary of the other two makes, I ended up buying Michelin Alpin 4s. Looking forward to getting them fitted when they arrive at the garage (assuming, of course, that I can manage to drive there...).

Tony_Essex
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Great choice! The Micheline Alpin 4 is about the best winter tyre you can buy and they should last you 2 - 3 winters. And remember they not only help in the snow and ice, but also in cold wet conditions...

glasgowsoundman
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Great choice! The Micheline Alpin 4 is about the best winter tyre you can buy and they should last you 2 - 3 winters. And remember they not only help in the snow and ice, but also in cold wet conditions...

Yes, I'm remembering that. Now, I just need to get winter tyres for the Mrs' car.

Cheers.