PDA

View Full Version : A4 Saloon Wheels/Tyres...

vwawudi
30-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Guys, not wanting to clutter the otherwise excellent Vredestein thread, decided to post this one.

What wheels/tyres do you have fitted to your B8 A4 (Exec Se Saloon TDi if that makes any difference)?

Mine came with 245/45R17 (at least that's what is written on the P7s) but when I search online and from reading other posts here it seems that the standard factory fit is 225/50R17 94Y.

Is this a problem? Should I be concerned?

More importantly, when I want to change my tyres, what should I go for?

This is almost doing my 'ead in. Very many thanks for your help and poll selections. Not sure the poll is working so please kindly post your wheel/tyre spec. I know S-line rims are 18 but dunno if that affects tyre specs/size.

vwawudi
30-11-2010, 03:07 PM
No comment? Please help! This is causing me some confusion!

vwawudi
30-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Does it not matter what tyre I get as long as it's an R17?

Bratty
30-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi Vwawudi, have a look at your owners manual under winter driving (page 273/274).

My personal tip, is go for steel 7J wheels with 205/60 (39mm offset).

WHY? As said in a previous thread, the narrow tyres are more effective in snow!

The only reason for going for large/wide winter tyres, is that you do not want to go to the expense of buying an extra set of wheels (false ecomomy as the steels plus the smaller tyres as a set are cheaper!) OR more importantly for most people that there car will look UNCOOL:confused::confused:!

Dunk

troc
30-11-2010, 03:42 PM
The R17 just means it's a 17" wheel.

(you probably know this bit :) )

The width of the tyre depends on the width of the rim and for a specific rim width, a number of tyre widths can be specified. In your case you have 245 width tyres. The /45 bit refers to the profile of the tyres, i.e. what %age of the tyre width the sidewalls are. This is important to make sure the final rolling diameter of the wheel/tyre combo is correct - otherwise your speedo will be incorrect.

So, to see what width of tyre you can accommodate on your rims, check their width (7" probably or 7.5"). Then look up which tyre widths can be run on that wide a rim, probably a range from 225 to 245 or something. Then use an on-line calculator to work out what profile you need to maintain the correct rolling diameter - you should get a list of something like 225/50/R17; 235/45R17 etc etc (all mumbers have been made up by me btw so don't use them to buy anything :) Then look to see which manufacturer makes a tyre in the size you want etc :)

To give an example, I have a MINI Cooper which came with 175/65R15 tyres on 15" rims which are 5" wide. I checked and these rims can take 195 or 205 tyres quite happily. Now 205 would have been extreme as they would have been way wider than the rims, so I decided on 195. To maintain the right rolling diameter, I had to go for 195/60R15 tyres.

So you can use any R17 tyre as long as it's the right width and profile.

There's another point btw - you need to make sure the tyres you use have the right speed rating and wall strength. Be aware that if you decide you never drive fast and choose tyres with a lower speed rating, your insurance will probably be invalid.

Bratty
30-11-2010, 04:01 PM
If you drive a ROCKET like Troc, then you might have tyre and wheel diameter restrictions. If however you are driving a normal Audi that has 17,18 or 19 inch wheels for cosmetic reasons then 16 inch steels will not affect your safety, AS long as Troc states!! you keep within the speed ratings ie H - 210KMH, V - 240KMH etc which quite honestly should not be an issue in Britain:p.

In Europe you must display a sticker displaying the max speed restriction in view of the driver with winter tyres as per page 273 on your user manual (Your Audi has a programable speed setting alert!)

Dunk

vwawudi
30-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Vwawudi, have a look at your owners manual under winter driving (page 273/274).

My personal tip, is go for steel 7J wheels with 205/60 (39mm offset).

WHY? As said in a previous thread, the narrow tyres are more effective in snow!

The only reason for going for large/wide winter tyres, is that you do not want to go to the expense of buying an extra set of wheels (false ecomomy as the steels plus the smaller tyres as a set are cheaper!) OR more importantly for most people that there car will look UNCOOL:confused::confused:!

Dunk

Oooh, now I'm even more confused! :confused:
Can you post links to examples of what you mean?

My understanding from what you're saying is that I should ditch the current wheels/tyre combo and get narrower wheels and tyres?

Steel 7J? What the heck is that? :o
Links to the cheaper solution please!:D

Bratty
30-11-2010, 04:46 PM
It is about commonsense over vanity for me;)! I do a lot of driving in ski-resorts and I have to say that the Germans have JUST!! made it LAW that you must have winter tyres fitted!

The argument for winter tyres is!! do I fit winter tyres to my normal wheels!!

OR

Buy a complete other set with smaller dimensions that work better!

Which costs the same!

For me it is a no brainer.

Dunk

vwawudi
30-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Just googled and came up with the Audi accessories list.

17” x 7J ‘5-arm’ design winter alloy wheel, excludes winter tyres, size required 225/50 R17 Part number 8K0071497A8Z8.

I think this is what you're getting at, right? 7J steel rims and even Audi have recommended the narrower tyres.

The price is...

£175.00 incl VAT EACH :aargh4::1zhelp:

Not including the price of tyres! :zx11:

Bratty
30-11-2010, 04:58 PM
As wheels another member has stated try "schrottfabrik.de" for steel wheels on E-bay, Nothing to do with me Mate!, I am torpedoes!

Dunk

vwawudi
30-11-2010, 05:07 PM
As wheels another member has stated try "schrottfabrik.de" for steel wheels on E-bay, Nothing to do with me Mate!, I am torpedoes!

Dunk

Thanks Dunk. I don't understand German and there's no link to products for purchase. Briefly looked on ebay but dunno what's what. Is it safe to buy non-audi made rims?

Bratty
30-11-2010, 05:16 PM
The answer is YES! as long as they are accompanied with the paperwork (TÜV Teilgutachten for your vehicle type and engine size!!)

But honestly! you are driving in winter with winter tyres ie. why worry about specs! as long as they are round and fit! then drive them.

Dunk

Bratty
30-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Just a tip! Do not scrimp on the tyres!! There is a huge difference on there abilities, I have just ordered Dunlop 3D (Because they are without doubt one of the best! But expensive). Just think!:confused: You are driving with your family! would you buy cheap brake pads!

Dunk

hotbilly
01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I am also not 100% sure about what wheels are O.K. for my A4 SE Tdie.
Putting the reg in on the websites never shows up the correct tyres/wheels. I orded 225/50/R17 tyres from Kwik Fit but they rang back saying they had run out of this size till next year. I have ordered 4 Falken HS439 from mytyres last Friday,arriving this week, for £444 fitted. The price on the website today is £740.

Bratty
01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
If you nip down to your local Audi Parts Department and ask them to print of the official approved wheel and tyre combinations they should be able to do it (If they cannot then consider them useless and consider going elsewhere) bearing in mind they should as your engine size etc.

The Germans have it sussed, every car has whats called a "Schlussel Number" printed on your vehicle docs, it identifies the manufacturer and specifically your model, engine size and build year, so when you want brakes or wheels on the internet, you tip in your number and the correct spec parts are spat out.

Also have a look in your handbook under tyres or winter driving, the wheel sizes are quoted.

Dunk

vwawudi
02-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks dunk.

Just a thought, is it wrong to have 225/50R17 tyres on an 8J rim? My current alloys are 8J and wondering if I could simply buy the 225 width tyres and fit them. Illegal? Dangerous? Stupid?

I don't have anywhere to store wheels/tyres as I live in a 'modern' apartment, LOL!

Bratty
02-12-2010, 01:21 AM
It is not an approved tyre size for 8J rims, you would risk invalidating your insurance!

If you are in the situation that you are describing (ie you need to keep your original wheels) have you considered "All Weather" (Ganzjahresreifen) tyres?:

They are a compromise, and they are half winter / half summer! ie. softer compound with aggressive tread but are distinguished by having a solid block pattern in the center and do not have M + S on them.

But they are OK in winter, they are OK in summer! But wil not set any records for performance.

Dunk

vwawudi
02-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks. Didn't think about insurance, duh!

Wouldn't want to sell my current rims+tyres and buy a new set in the summer just because I lack space.

I'll look into all weather tyres. Might be worth a punt.

rd1
02-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Bratty, thanks for your time on this ,
I am also looking at the all weather tyre as I dont think that the miles I do and the winter weather conditions in my area justify the expense of two sets of tyres. (I understand the arguments and recognise the saving on the normal tyre wear etc ect)
I do want to improve the grip both in the winter and the summer wet conditions which also cause me concern and has been discussed here many times.
So my question is; what all weather tyre do people recommend? I would ideally want to get the best overall balance of wear, grip, road noise and cost accepting that there is usually an increase in one to get the other.
Will be really interested in the results of this which will hopefully help me decide on the next tyres .
Roger

Bratty
02-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Goodyear Vector All Weather range seem to have good reports but they only do a specific range of sizes, there is also Pirelli, Hankook, Vredstein, etc.

Dunk

vwawudi
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Spoke to Audi UK to ask about what tyres/wheels I could fit and was referred to my local dealer who was less than forthcoming with the info I needed. Just gave bog-standard Audi Winter Alloy/Tyre programme info which, incidentally, has sold out nationwide and they're not sure when stock will arrive - at least 4-5 weeks! :aargh4:

Spoke to a nice chap at my supplying dealer who went through it all with me and it appears that I am limited to just the current Audi recommendation (i.e 7J x17 rim and 225/50 R17 tyres.

He said that the standard 16" steel rims (6.5x17 5-112 ET39) would NOT fit my car. When he put in my reg number, he said that option was removed :confused: Possibly offset issues to blame (i think).

However on the mytyres.co.uk site, they list this NANKANG (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/skw.pl?bestellnummer=9537--D-107956&cart_id=5805387.110.30377&Cookie=&dsco=110&csuchen=1&syt_d=&Hersteller=Audi&PKWtyp=A4+2.0+TDI&felge=16 inch|5 x 112.00 x 66.50|5|39.00&PKWtypgenau=|7356||1968|105|200711| |66.50|112.00|5|B 8 ||P|E1*2001/116*0430*.. &my_1_car=Audi__A4 2.0 TDI____|7356||1968|105|200711| |66.50|112.00|5|B 8 ||P|E1*2001/116*0430*..) 16" steel + tyre which I was leaning towards.

Who's right?

I've also been told that there are no winter tyres in 245mm width for my 8J rim available. I asked for the narrowest tyre that the 8J would support and was told 245mm (maybe 240mm at a push).

Now, one is thoroughly confused. Help! :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

Bratty
05-12-2010, 03:53 PM
What about this All Weather Tyre http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl from the same website that you were looking at.

One set of tyres for summer and winter on your 8J 17 inch wheels?

Dunk

vwawudi
05-12-2010, 07:44 PM
What about this All Weather Tyre http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl from the same website that you were looking at.

One set of tyres for summer and winter on your 8J 17 inch wheels?

Dunk

Thanks Dunk. The link just shows "winterreifen" 195/65/15 page, is that the intent?

Bratty
05-12-2010, 08:08 PM
When I click on it I am defaulting to reifendirekt.de (the same company),even though its the same site that you tipped (mytires) but if you look at "All Weather Tyres" in the size 225/45 r17, they are available.

Or try "reifen.com"

Dunk

vwawudi
06-12-2010, 07:17 PM
^^ Dunk, you are a S T A R !!

vwawudi
08-12-2010, 01:05 PM
When I click on it I am defaulting to reifendirekt.de (the same company),even though its the same site that you tipped (mytires) but if you look at "All Weather Tyres" in the size 225/45 r17, they are available.

Or try "reifen.com"

Dunk

Hi Dunk,
Just wondering, is reifen.com working for you in Germany? I've been trying the steel rim + winter tyre bit and it's not letting me select tyres after selecting manufacturer and model through to choosing the 105kw. Could you please see if it's a UK thing?

Tried to ring them, got through to their Leipzig branch and it was hilarious!

The only word I could make out was 'niet' and struggled to find the german word for 'head office' and when I did, I couldn't pronounce it!:biglaugh: He was very polite and didn't hang up on me, he finally suggested 'emale' :D

vwawudi
08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Hello guys,

Just wondering if it's okay to exceed manufacturers speed and load ratings for winter tyres.

A4's recommended winter spec is 205/60/R16 92H, can I safely fit 205/60/R16 96H?

Will it affect the car in any way? Insurance company says as long as I fit manufacturer's recommended tyres they're happy but not sure if that'll change should I exceed them.

They're both at the same price level.
Thanks all.