PDA

View Full Version : VW Passat Indicators Not Flashing

peco
01-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi all,

I have a 1999 Passat 20v Sport and the indicators will only work properly sometimes. Most of the time they won't flash, like if the flasher unit is no good.
I'm not sure if it is the flasher unit because I think they wouldn't work full stop. Infact I'm not sure if cars have flasher units now anyway.
Someone told me it could be the hazard light switch. Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Cheers.

trevorh
01-04-2006, 09:06 PM
It's likely that the relay is not working. It should be behind the emergency indicator switch. Try this switch to see if indicators work, if not activate it several times as there might just be a bad connection (this worked for me). If still no joy then you will need to prise out the switch (carefully to not damage trim) and renew the relay.

peco
03-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks Trevor,

I had a half hearted attempt at removing the hazard light switch, before I read your reply. It is very tight in there so I gave up, in case I did some damage. Now I know there is a relay behind it, I will try again.

Thanks again,

Peter.

johnb
29-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi All.
I have just had a similar problem with my 2001 SE Saloon.
Indicators were erratic and kept stopping. Fitted new flasher relay switch and all was well. Switch comes as complete unit and cost about £15 from VW. I found it easiest to remove the blank plastic covers below the hazard switch first to gain some access behind and then to gently prize it out. There is a clip top and bottom holding it in place. Hope this may help.

J.B.