PDA

View Full Version : Question 1.4TSI engine noisey on start up

whitehkm1
26-11-2010, 10:43 PM
When I start the engine on cold mornings it makes a lot of noise for a few seconds. This is worrying me, as I've only experienced this once before and that was with a 10 year old worn out engine in a Mazda.

Is this a problem with my car or does the 1.4TSI engine suffer this problem?

Also, should I take it back to the dealer for them to investigate?

Thanks

WSLAWSON
18-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Hi i have the same exact problem with my Audi a3 1.4 tsfi, did you get anywhere with finding what the problem was?

Many Thanks

Fraser

a8 tech
18-06-2011, 05:56 AM
its a brief build up of fuel pressure and causes no issue however it does give the impression the engine has a mechanical fault, no repair is advised as this is a knock on effect of the delivery pressure from initial cold start or

Brief malfunction of the camshaft positioner, if this is the case then the postioner requires replacement

WSLAWSON
26-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi many thanks for your reply, my local audi dealer after many times in with the problem eventually faulted the problem as the fuel pressure but with no fix. I had the car at an independent and they immediately faulted the noise as a possible camshaft retentioner or oil valve problem and advised to take it back to audi as it is an expensive repair and should be covered by goodwill. The car went back to audi another twice and they have now faulted the problem as the camshaft positioner and are replacing the camshaft positioner. Would the malfunction of the camshaft postioner damage anything in the engine and should they be replacing any other parts?

many thanks
Fraser

a8 tech
26-06-2011, 03:23 PM
If it is in fact the camshaft postioner then there are modified parts for the exact repair and no consequential damage occurs, however if the fault re occurs then its as described in post 3 with no repair required

good luck and report back with your results

WSLAWSON
26-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi A8 tech i had the work done and everything seems ok, i still sometimes get my engine over revving at start up by 400-600 rpm which I'm guessing is the possible build up from fuel pressure but i don't have the rough sounding metallic start up that i did have previously? The fuel pressure over revving seems to happen when the car has been lying out all day noticeably when it has been warm. It seems like the Sirrocco has a similar problem, you can listen to the sound of the engine stating up on youtube.

whitehkm1
12-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi A8 tech

My Scirocco has been back to the VW dealer 3 times and on the last ocassion they changed the Camshaft Adjuster, but I still have the noise on start-up. I'm taking the car back again and will mention the Camshaft Positioner as a potential fault. I've also heard that the Camshaft Adjuster Soleniod Valve can stick and cause the noise. Have you heard this?

a8 tech
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
does it sound like this https://www.rapidshare.com/files/2543478548/000208.wma

if yes you need the chain tensioner as well as the previous camshaft adjuster solenoid, the tensioner loses pressure hence there is slack in the chain from starting

whitehkm1
13-04-2012, 09:24 PM
the noise I get is not as load as this. It's a similar noise but not as load

lemmentalja
18-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Hi!

Im having similar problems with my 2010 1.4tsi (92kw) seat leon, engine code CAXC. Every morning i start it, it sounds like this.

1.4 TSI Start noise. - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AJAzaQKMT4&feature=youtu.be)

WSLAWSON, did your car sound similar to mine? And did replacing the camshaft positioner solved the problem? And A8 tech, could falty camshaft positioner cause this noise???

Thanks!
Jouni

Crash39
30-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Hi,
our 1.4 tsi scirocco (2010) also had similar problems & misfiring. Took it to the dealer who said it was nothing to worry about & was known about. However, now the engine is damaged beyond repair. New engine needed due to broken piston. Be very careful with this & keep taking it back!

lemmentalja
01-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi,
our 1.4 tsi scirocco (2010) also had similar problems & misfiring. Took it to the dealer who said it was nothing to worry about & was known about. However, now the engine is damaged beyond repair. New engine needed due to broken piston. Be very careful with this & keep taking it back!

Hi!

Thanks for the info! I wil not rest until my problem is solved! :)

-Jouni

Stu Parker
17-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Hello just thought I'd chirp in but I think it's your secondary air injection it only runs for a brief time on start up

sgrech
15-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Joining the party late!

I engine has been marking a similar noise (to that on the youtube clip) on a regular basis since we bought it about 6 months ago. As far as I can remember it tends to happen more when the car is cold. It normally lasts no longer than a second or two.
Also it sometimes fail to start first time sometime - this happens must less frequently perhaps every two or three weeks on average - maybe not even that. However apparently it look four attempts today. I am becoming increasingly worried particularly given this thread and the possibility of engine damage. It sounds like I need to take it to a Audi technician?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Simon

KlauVR46
07-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Hi Jouni
I know that it's an old post but I want to know if you finally get the problem fix. As per your youtube post the problem I m facing it's same, without any luck so far. The timing chain and camshaft adjuster were replaced but I ve still got the noise.

1.4 TSI start up noise - YouTube (https://youtu.be/JVZqadplEHw)

Thank you