PDA

View Full Version : TFSI end of journey procedure.

macmillions
25-11-2010, 11:33 PM
This is just a question about the longevity of the turbo really.

I have read of posts (mainly 1.8 20v turbos or TDIs) turbos dying. Possibly due to the oil in the turbo being too hot at the time of switching off the engine.

Is it still best on a newer (2007 TFSI) to leave the engine idling for about a minute after having driven the car for a length of time to keep the turbo in good nick? Or are these turbos cooled differently?

I already do this just incase, but was wondering if I'm mwasting my time in doing so? :o

towcestervag
26-11-2010, 07:30 AM
as with all turbo cars
you must let engine idle for a time to cool the turbo
if you dont the oil carbonises around the seals and causes damage
also it gets into sump and will block strainers in the end
if you read your instruction manual it use to tell you let car idle?
i must admit i run my cars at no boost for last couple of miles to aid cool down

macmillions
26-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I did have a good read through the manual and couldn't see anything about leaving it to idle after the journey.

My journey home is through quiet residential roads for the last half a mile or so, and the last 30 seconds involve a complex 15 point turn to actually fit into my parking space. Once in my space I still leave it idling for a minute anyway. I do the same at work too.

Thanks for clearing that up though. Glad to see my efforts have not been pointless!

johnloaderuk
26-11-2010, 09:43 PM
For some reason VW have deemed it necessary to fit the latest model TDI Passats with an engine oil temperature gauge. Looking at the oil temp it can take at least 15 minutes of idling before the oil temp drops a few degrees, so unless the turbo is way hotter than usual maybe it won't make any difference if you only leave it a minute or so. I've had several TDI's and always turn them off straight away, so far no turbo problems. Maybe the petrol model is different.
Likewise, the water temp is showing 90 degrees after 10 minutes of driving from cold start, but the oil isn't up to fully working temp until at least 20 minutes of normal driving, nearer 30 minutes now it's getting colder, so perhaps the turbo isn't lubricated properly until the oil is fully hot - something else to consider this time of year before giving it full welly.

fatty5000
27-11-2010, 01:14 AM
The warm is far more important than the warm down lol

Unless of course you have been spanking it hard for a while, day to day I won't bother waiting more than about 5 secs tbh.

paul b
27-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I just spend the last couple of minutes of the journey off-boost, I don't sit around waiting in the car.