PDA

View Full Version : 1996 2.0 Auto Estate Damp Windows

Ratboy!
23-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi,

I have recently acquired a 1996 'N' Reg Passat 2.0 GL Estate.

The heater works fine and there is no water/dampness in the footwells.

Teh problem is that when driving, al of teh windows steam up, so much so that even with heater on hot blowing at number 4 doesn't keep them clear.

I'm thinking that if it has a pollen filter then it maybe needing changed or re-seated.

Does anyone know if this model would have apollen filter and where on teh vehicle would it be?

Any other fixes are also welcome - it doesnt have a sun roof.

Thanks.

HorseOffaGypsy
24-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Try looking under the plastic cover over the bulkhead at the top of the engine bay directly in front of the passengers seat. It's held down with a few plastic fixings that need to be turned through 90° to pull them out. Once you get this off, the rest is plain sailing, you should see the pollen filter directly below. Mine just came straight out attached to a plastic frame, the new one pushed back onto the frame and back into the housing.

I can't recall exactly where, but I think there was a drain in the bulk head area as well that's well worth making sure its clear??

HoG

towcestervag
24-11-2010, 08:33 AM
have you got a acrid smell in car when heater operated?
if so it could be heater matrix
this usually leaves a waxy residue on screen

decnet
09-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I've got the same problem, although not quite as bad by the sounds of it. From what I can see I've got water leaking into the area in front of the drivers side rear light, below the storage hole in the rear wing. I suspect it's coming in from the rear window but need to have a better look soon.

JASEA4
09-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Ive been giving my Audi a good wash down today to get rid of all the salt from the roads, whilst washing i decided to give the car a good spraying down the gap between the top of the wing and bonnet to clear any dirt out , i then lifted the bonnet and found out the whole bulk head area where the battery is located was full ,
and im talking a good six inches of water

removed paneling and battery very quickly, to discover the drain holes where all bunged up under the battery and brake master cylinder, lookly no water has leaked through into the car itself, i also found the pollen filter under there , clogged up to hell with dirt and was a bit damp also............ill get a new filter tommorow for it .......... ive cleaned all the bulk head out and got loads of dead leafs and muck out , cleaned it all down and reassembled, this is the biggest cause of interiors getting wet, when bungs give way and drip through inside the car.......
i only checked a few weeks back before all the snow came and no water in there , just didnt get chance then to clean all the area out ,

this will be getting done at least once a year from now on to prevent a mass build up of water.....i recommend all who read this check under there bonnets and do this before you are too late

Guest 2
09-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Had the same symptoms as the OP on my old Citroen Xsara. Turned out it was the heater matrix and it was a dash out and dash in job unfortunately when the part was only ~£30