PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Auto gearbox sticking in 'park'

karenc5633
22-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Two days ago we bought a 1.9TDI Passat Auto and have twice had a problem moving it out of park. Once out of park it seems fine and runs well but we previously had the same car (2 years older) without any gearbox issues at all so I know how it should feel. Any suggestions as we need to contact the dealer soon if it is likely to be a big problem? Thanks

Toonmania
26-11-2010, 07:20 PM
i've had the same problem with mine too, but as yet not found out what it is, although i have found that if you apply the handbrake first lift off the footbrake with car in neutral, then put car in park as normal it doesn't do it, so i think it has something to do with the gearbox lock

snapdragon
26-11-2010, 07:51 PM
If it happens on an incline, the handbrake is probably not holding, and putting a strain on the transmission dog. Whatever it is, you need to get to the bottom of it before it ruins it.

Toonmania
26-11-2010, 08:28 PM
If it happens on an incline, the handbrake is probably not holding, and putting a strain on the transmission dog. Whatever it is, you need to get to the bottom of it before it ruins it.

i'm getting a fluid & filter change done as i don't believe it lasts forever even though it's "sealed for life" see if it's better after that ;)

snapdragon
26-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Very good thing to do, but that won't have any effect on this.
When you put it in P, what effectively happens is a peg goes into a hole.
If you don't have the car held by the hand brake, the peg get's pinched and so is hard to pull out. There was one case on the US forum where a man used P to hold the front wheel while he undid the nut and it snapped off, I also remember years ago on a Vauxhall forum a man has his snap off when someone hit his car in the carpark.

karenc5633
28-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi there, thanks to all of you have replied to my 'help' request. I am going to try replacing the sensor under the footbrake as I have been told that could be a likely cause for this problem. There is apparently also a sensor under the transmission lever which I can then try if this doesn't work. The VW mechanic said that it could be slipping on parking and just leaving the cogs slightly out occasionally and that this is quite a common thing with these gearboxes. I will also try the suggestion of putting handbrake on while in neutral etc. A few things to try and hopefully one of them will sort the problem as the car is great apart from that . Thanks again.

Toonmania
05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
did you get anywhere with this? would be great to find out if there is a fix for it

karenc5633
05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Not yet, I'm afraid - the snow got in the way a bit but I am going to change the switch under the brake pedal (£30) and see if that makes a difference. I will also ask garage to oil the cogs in the gearbox, which was another sensible suggestion from a mechanic. After that I will post on here if it has had any effect. Thanks for the interest.

Toonmania
06-12-2010, 06:36 AM
ok well keep me informed how you get on , i am really interested if any of this solves the problem thanks for your reply

karenc5633
28-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I had the foot switch changed and it has not made any difference. Now intend to get it back into the garage for investigations which is a bit irritating. I don't think it's anything major as the gearbox works fine apart from this sticking thing! Will keep you posted if I ever find out what it is.

Toonmania
28-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Yes i had the same result NOTHING lol!! oh well back to the drawing board, i have changed my switch a few weeks back

Toonmania
29-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Well been out for a long drive today about (150 mile round trip) amd the auto gearbox has developed a nasty kick when you kick down from 5th to 4th it feels like the torque converter slipping, what does anyone think is best just to replace the box or should i try an oil change???

or can someone list what would be involved in changing from Auto to manual i know i need to pedal box and obviously a clutch unit, would i need to change the gearbox mountings ??