PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Change at 18,000 miles

lozzermo
21-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Just had the gearbox changed under warranty after just 2 yrs/18,000 miles :aargh4:

Problem has always been there from new - uneven running from cold start. It took 7 visits over 2 yrs to get to the 'new gearbox' (1,000 miles of the 18k were done by the dealer 'testing'):zx11:. Tried to reject the car recently but it was too late (should have complained sooner).

Thier attitude is that the car is under warranty and that I get a loan car so the inconvenience is minimised. Fair enough, but I have lost faith in the car now - it's like damaged goods!

Dealer is doing what they can (Head of Business is personally involved) to get me into a different car, but it's going to cost.

Anyway, moral of the story has to be complain sooner, in writing, and keep complaining until you get a response. Hope this is a lesson to you all!

kevspi
25-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Hello,

I've done 91k in my '08 2.0tdi B8. I had the gearbox changed at about 5k i think. There was another A4 in the audi garage getting the same treatment.

So for the good news.....since then i've covered 85K+ miles and not had a single problem. Love the car, just wish it had a bit more grunt!

Kevin

diddy26
13-01-2011, 12:51 PM
I have the same problem, especially when the weather is cold... will try to bring it to the dealer.

Maybe there are some reports on this issue?!:confused:

black999
13-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi
I've had my 2.0L TDI SE since November, second hand and had done 35k at that time.
Right from day 1 I've had gear selection problems, first and second in particular.
I took it back and complained, the dealer claimed to have replaced clutch and pressure plate to sort the problem.
I considered that this might need a little time to settle so left it over the Christmas period.
To be honest , the problem doesn't seem to have gone away and I am getting ready to return to dealer.
By the way , the car has 12months warranty from the day I purchased it.

Eventually I get to the punchline , is this a similar problem or is it completely unrelated ?

Sportwag
13-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Hello,

I've done 91k in my '08 2.0tdi B8.

Kevin

What is the paintwork like after 91k - presumably most of it has been motorway mileage?

diddy26
14-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Well I am disappointed a liltle bit... only 39k miles on it and such problems already! pity!

lozzermo
15-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Well, it was fine after the new gearbox was installed but I decided to get shot of the car! The first time we had the problem we lost drive at a roundabout. Can't risk that again. Now have an S4 with an S-Tronic and so far so good. My advice is to take the car in at the first sign of an issue and get them to document the issue and fix.

vwawudi
15-01-2011, 10:31 PM
How can you tell when there's a problem? What are the symptoms? I have a Multitronic, thanks.

lozzermo
15-01-2011, 11:43 PM
It was intermittent but from cold the revs would jump around. Then when slowing at a junction the car would kidder as if you were in the wrong gear. It stopped after a few minutes though. It took 7 visits for the dealer to change the gearbox.

Zafi
16-01-2011, 08:12 PM
When I select reverse I have to wait until i feel it engage, otherwise its a real clunk if I have started to rev it before it is ready. Is this normal with multitronic?

Also if reversing up a hill its not very precise, seems to wait a while before moving each time i accelerate. Difficult reversing up to a wall for instance.

diddy26
17-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi to everyone...

it seems that I've got some problems with privat msg... :(

could you please tell me where (by which dealer) did you change the gear box...

I just have the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Chris

sharantdi
30-01-2011, 07:11 PM
sorry to ask but are you talking about manual or auto gearbox...????

Hello,

I've done 91k in my '08 2.0tdi B8. I had the gearbox changed at about 5k i think. There was another A4 in the audi garage getting the same treatment.

So for the good news.....since then i've covered 85K+ miles and not had a single problem. Love the car, just wish it had a bit more grunt!

Kevin