PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 2005 Jetta fuel cap cover/door

smallieboy
18-11-2010, 02:41 PM
The fuel filler cover/door on my Jetta won't lock shut. Prior to this problem I'd never had any problems with it opening using the door switch. Over a period of a couple of weeks I noticed I had to give it a thump to get it to lock and now it won't do so. It's not flapping around but doesn't sit flush with the bodywork and obviously the fuel isn't secure.

Anyone else had and resolved this problem?

Thanks

*** UPDATE ***
I've now resolved this ..... when I flicked the release switch a few times a small 'catch' flicked out of the housing - this is presumably the locking mechanism. I've given it a clean (it was covered in dust and oil/fuel) and a squirt of WD40 and it works like a dream.

skodaescapee
08-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Just out of interest my 08 Jetta had its petrol cap seize shut 12 months ago. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't open it from inside. Motor failed and couldn't release the cable. Had to cut a hole in the flap, order new motor and cable and new flap. Then had to refit a couple of weeks later having had to respray the flap. Warranty just about to expire on the car. Oh God!!

Skodaescapee