PDA

View Full Version : DIY Windscreen repair

shadfx
15-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi All

I am loathed to hand my car over to any grease monkey / auto techs when it doesnt need to be given to them. I have 2 chips in my windscreen within a close proximity too each other and am worried that if the cracks spread and the two meet it will be bye bye windscreen hello big repair bill.

I have seen some "DIY Windscreen repair" kits online - do these work? Has anyone used one before?! I would be very curious to know more about them

Thanks

Matt

Eshrules
15-11-2010, 06:10 PM
if you've got chips in your windscreen, surely the best route to getting them repaired is through the FOC insurance approved repairer?

DIY glass repair spells disaster to me.

and I have to say, I don't know why, but the term grease monkey narks me.

shadfx
15-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Im sorry to have narked you Esh :( I only really recently used the term after I got my sisters Fiesta back from the garage only to find the wheel nuts had all been done up to hand tight + a quarter turn on my 1/2 inch ratchet and that they hadnt done up the bleed nipple on her front O/S brake caliper... Then there was the time my mums car refused to start after a "mechanic" replaced her battery and had neglected to tighten up the whatsit on the battery terminal and the earthing lead popped off... Must just be my bad luck eh?

My insurance is TPFT and from what I gather doesnt cover windscreens :( Otherwise I wouldnt be looking into it...

Thanks for the opinion though, I am also thinking that it is probably going to be more trouble than it worth after reading about it

MalcQV
16-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Windscreen on my car got a chip. Autoannoy said it was too close to the edge of the screen, new one required, £60 please sir. I contacted Glasweld (http://www.glasweld.co.uk/) and they repaired it for £30. No brainer.

I had a crack on the Fezza's windscreen which is £2k+ to replace, Glasweld. Say no more.

shadfx
17-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Contacted GlasWeld today - waiting for the tech to call me back :) Thanks for the recommend!

NickPicks
17-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I don't know your personal insurance circumstances, but next time your insurance is up for renewal, ask for a fully comprehensive quote aswell - I've often found that f/c is cheaper than tpft - it sounds bizarre, and I don't know know why, but it does.

I had a crack in the Golf's windscreen whilst it was sitting on the drive uninsured - it cost £120 for a local windscreen fitter to supply and fit a new one.

If glasweld can do a repair for about £30, that's going to be better than trying to DIY with a kit that costs £30 at halfords.

There are some jobs that need doing by an auto tech. Windscreens are one of them.

shadfx
17-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi Nick

Yes - in some cases and with some companies it works out cheaper for me too - but with Adrian Flux TPFT was by far the better option for me.

The tech just turned up - its £42 + vat for the 2 chips. not bad at all IMO!

MalcQV
17-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Contacted GlasWeld today - waiting for the tech to call me back :) Thanks for the recommend!;) great stuff.

ColinofChorley
16-05-2013, 05:00 PM
<removed>

fat controller
16-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, and welcome to VWAF :)

You'll hopefully like it here - very friendly, helpful site and we have an occasional sandwich buffet where only the best of fillings are served (chicken, beef, ham, eggs etc) - but no tinned stuff like corned beef or Spam.

ColinofChorley
16-05-2013, 07:52 PM
<REMOVED>

You aren't a secret Scientology outfit are you? ;)

NickPicks
16-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Hahaha, but what about Green Eggs? Or ham?
;)
I do not like green eggs and ham.

Eshrules
17-05-2013, 07:40 AM
<removed>

<REMOVED>

You aren't a secret Scientology outfit are you? ;)

Colon,

Not only have you failed at the first hurdle as far as your SEO intents are concerned, you also can't type for treacle.

If the company you're attempting to promote wishes to advertise on our forum, please ask them to contact Stuart directly to discuss advertising packages.