PDA

View Full Version : vredestein wintrac xtreme xl, Your views

Audi Happy
15-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Well winter is coming and i need 2 new tyres, Like everyone else last year i really suffered in the snow with my Dunlops and the car was left on the drive. I have just had these recomended, 'vredestein wintrac xtreme xl' has anyone used them or had any experience with them ??

Thank you

hibberd
16-11-2010, 09:15 AM
I have used them on a number of cars and they are both very well priced and here in Holland have an excellent reputation. I would recommend them.

robtt09
16-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Ditto. Had them on our Mini last year and it never got stuck.In fact it managed just as well as the Quattro ! I have put Vreds on my A4 now as well

Geordie Amanda
16-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I had the Vredestein Snowtracs on my Sedici for a couple of years and they were fantastic. I should be getting my Wintrac Extremes fitted this week as they have landed at Sheldons of Manchester. Just need to pick up a set of cheap alloys to go with them. I drove a Discovery 2 with the Extremes on and they seemed superb, but it might also have been the Land Rover was so good too? Braking and cornering seemed very good though, even in rubbish conditions.

PWW
16-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Had them on my Subaru Legacy last year great tyre had no problem driving in the snowy conditions will be getting some again for a winter set of wheels for the A4

tungstentim
17-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Is there a vredestein alternative for a diesel s-line for normal use rather than just winter weather?

I know I'll need a couple of new tyres before Christmas and don't want the usual rubbish put on again if I can help it.
Tim

21stCentury
17-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Is there a vredestein alternative for a diesel s-line for normal use rather than just winter weather?

Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas have been discussed on this forum with positive reviews. They're my current favorite for when my Bridgestones are due for replacement.

hibberd
17-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas have been discussed on this forum with positive reviews. They're my current favorite for when my Bridgestones are due for replacement.

I had them on my last car and was very impressed with them, to my suprise. Vredestein are getting a good reputation for their tyres

SC03OTT
17-11-2010, 11:14 PM
I had them on my last car and was very impressed with them, to my suprise. Vredestein are getting a good reputation for their tyres

Indeed. I have the Sportrac 3s on just now. Great bit of rubber.

Sportingmac
26-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Have them on my Q7 - absolutely brilliant - much better than snow chains because you can use them on main roads and through the summer if you want. Wouldn't be on anything else in winter since 'leaving the road' a few times on my Goodyear summer tyres in icy condition.

Go get some now....

Geordie Amanda
27-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Got the Extremes fitted and driven a couple of hundred miles on them. Not met any snow yet, but plenty of slushy and icy conditions. So far they seem excellent and they have even improved the ride on the car, The only downside seems that they make the handling a little bit more vague and the steering becomes slightly lighter (I expected both of these things as my previous winter tyres had a similar effect on my Sedici). At high speed they may be a teeny bit noisier as they seem to hum a little, but that might be the motorway I was on. Anyhoo, here's a piccie :)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/geordieamanda/IMAG0234.jpg

Zafi
28-11-2010, 11:23 AM
What load & speed ratings are you using? If you use an H rated tyre, what are the insurance and VOSA implications?

Sportingmac
28-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi Zafi,

The tyres are the full spec tyres ~ 110 load rating and V rated (upto 149mph).

I may have a set of 4 for sale soon - with 7+mm tread depth (used for about 2000 miles (trip to Austria inc)

Anyone interested?

Sportingmac
28-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Geordie Amanda

...I am thinking of an A4 3.0tdi to replace Q7 - any tips when looking for used? any issues that you have come across?

Regards

Zafi
28-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi Zafi,

The tyres are the full spec tyres ~ 110 load rating and V rated (upto 149mph).

I may have a set of 4 for sale soon - with 7+mm tread depth (used for about 2000 miles (trip to Austria inc)

Anyone interested?

Pretty impressive that they still have 7mm after 2000 miles. Can you PM me with how much you are looking for and contact details as I am new to the forum and cant PM yet :)

Geordie Amanda
28-11-2010, 04:19 PM
What load & speed ratings are you using? If you use an H rated tyre, what are the insurance and VOSA implications?

I copied the original spec of my normal tyres as I don't see what business it is of the insurance company then. Big thank you to Sheldons of Manchester for sorting everything out for me and making it all painless,well apart from the money bit :D They even applied a protective coating to the wheels for me. Cant think what make it was, but it smelt funny and it was American in origin. Seems to keep brake dust off the tyres though :)

Zafi
28-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I copied the original spec of my normal tyres as I don't see what business it is of the insurance company then. Big thank you to Sheldons of Manchester for sorting everything out for me and making it all painless,well apart from the money bit :D They even applied a protective coating to the wheels for me. Cant think what make it was, but it smelt funny and it was American in origin. Seems to keep brake dust off the tyres though :)

OK, lots of the M&S tyres seem to be H rated. Not seen any Y rated ones on ebay :)

Sportingmac
28-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Try http://www.tyremen.co.uk/ - seem to be the best price around - and a huge range - must be good because they have temporarily run out of winter tyres :))

Zafi
28-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Try http://www.tyremen.co.uk/ - seem to be the best price around - and a huge range - must be good because they have temporarily run out of winter tyres :))

Sold out :(
http://tyremen.myshopify.com/products/20545vr17-vredestein-wintrac-xtreme-xl

must be the snow, about 3" deep outside, just brushed the car off...... again!

Zafi
28-11-2010, 06:08 PM
In stock in Germany, though ;)
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=47017010.110.31817&kplz=&Cookie=froogle&typ=R-119171&dsco=110&ranzahl=4

Geordie Amanda
28-11-2010, 06:53 PM
OK, lots of the M&S tyres seem to be H rated. Not seen any Y rated ones on ebay :)
The Vredestein Extremes can be had in big speed ratings without problem :) . Although I have read lots of posts about people not being able to find any winter tyres from regular dealers, or they are being charged an absolute fortune. :(

vwawudi
29-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Thinking about getting winter tyres. A bit confused though.

Searching through mytyres.co.uk, it says recommended tyres for the B8 A4 (when I put in my reg number) is 225/50R17 94Y.

My car currently has these fitted: 245/45R17

Which should I get if I want to replace with winter tyres?

Many thanks!

Zafi
29-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Standard tyres when the car left the factory were 225 50 17 94Y on my B8 2.0 143 SE Avant

vwawudi
30-11-2010, 12:49 AM
^^
Hmm....
Need advice guys. Where does this leave me? If I were to change which tyre should I get? Having my current set of tyres, is it gonna be a problem?

Does anyone else have a similar tyre spec to mine?

Maybe I should start a new thread......

as400
04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
In stock in Germany, though ;)
Vredestein Wintrac xtreme 205/55 R16 94V XL with rim protection ridge - mytyres.co.uk (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=47017010.110.31817&kplz=&Cookie=froogle&typ=R-119171&dsco=110&ranzahl=4)

Anybody bought tyres from outside the UK (but within Europe)? have there been any unexpected charges from Customs and Excise?...I'm guessing that there shouldn't be but as tyres seem cheaper on the continent thought I would ask for others experiences?

Big Gaz
07-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Just had some delivered from reifen.com, no extra charges and saved £75 a corner (only take bank transfer or paypal though, no credit cards)

M32
07-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Got a set of four Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas when my Bridgestones needed replacing. Very pleased with them. Ordered from Mytyres. Delivered from Germany, you can track there progress and no customs/unexpected charges.

Dr Mcr
01-11-2012, 12:45 AM
I bought the Audi winter wheel package last year, and this is the tyre size that was fitted to the 5 spoke alloy I too have an SE exec with the same 245 summer tyre size as you. My summer alloys 10 spoke are quite wide hence 245 wide tyres. I think the winter alloys are either a balf or full inch narrower Not sure if you would be able to fit 225 width tyres onto the same rim width as your 245 tyres but surely someone on here can confirm. I seem to remember someon publishing a PDF of audi alloys and the the size suitability for them.

Hope this helps

Geordie Amanda
19-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Looks like my wheels and tyres are up for sale (as mentioned as above) .Bags of tread, full spec tyres (same spec for speed/load/size as originals so insurance companies cant complain) 18" A5 replica wheels £400 collected.