PDA

View Full Version : Question Heater control issues....

lumox
15-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I have a problem with the temperature control in my fabia.

With the temperature control all the way round to the left, I get cold air blowing from the vents. All good there.
However, with just one tiny movement round to the hot side I get really hot air blowing from the vents, with no adjustment inbetween.

Any suggestions as to what needs replacing?

Cheers,
Tim.

fifields
15-11-2010, 02:33 PM
I have a problem with the temperature control in my fabia.

With the temperature control all the way round to the left, I get cold air blowing from the vents. All good there.
However, with just one tiny movement round to the hot side I get really hot air blowing from the vents, with no adjustment inbetween.

Any suggestions as to what needs replacing?

Cheers,
Tim.Hey guess what, I have the same problem with my wife's Fabia 1.4 Comfort. I also note that the AC button light is off and won't go to ON when I press it, but that might be unrelated, and the fan controller only seems to turn the fan on when we set it to MAX.

Let's hope that someone out there knows something :confused:.

Steve.

lumox
15-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Steve,

In my fabia, the AC button and fan speed control both work OK.

Let's hope somebody does!

Cheers,
Tim.

VAGMAN54
15-11-2010, 08:02 PM
i suspect its the flap motor thats not working correctly but a fault code read should pick that up........the fan speed issue only working on max is the heater resistor that has blown a.... fairly common fault.................................

fifields
15-11-2010, 08:29 PM
i suspect its the flap motor thats not working correctly but a fault code read should pick that up........the fan speed issue only working on max is the heater resistor that has blown a.... fairly common fault.................................Makes sense. In my case, the fan was used on full this morning and it started to vibrate then gave up. After reading elsewhere, I suspect that water has managed to get through the air filters (clogged drain holes below windscreen?). The garage were unable to trace how water was getting into the car over 6 months ago and internal condensation has always been a problem.

That has then ruined the bearings in both the main fan and flap motor. The main fan has then overheated the resistor and finally expired that and itself, as has the flap motor.

Sounds expensive in my case :eek:

Steve.

fifields
15-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I meant to ask - What do you use (best option) to read the fault codes please?

Steve.

VAGMAN54
15-11-2010, 09:54 PM
i use vcds but a good quality scanner should pick it up.....................

lumox
16-11-2010, 10:45 PM
i suspect its the flap motor thats not working correctly but a fault code read should pick that up...

Thanks for the info VAGMAN. I'll take a look when I get a chance over the weekend.

Cheers,
Tim.

lumox
22-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Just an update......
Got a fault code read over the weekend, and nothing's wrong with the heating. Apparently it's me!!! :Blush2:

I thought the air blown out of the vents should be at the temperature set on the controls, whereas the air blown out of the vents is at whatever temperature is needed to get the cabin to the selected temperature on the controls.

Subtle difference, but on a short trip when the controls are set to 18 degrees (with a 5 degree outside temp.) and it feels like the vents are trying to burn my face off, I thought there was something wrong! ;)

Cheers,
Tim.