PDA

View Full Version : A3 Tailgate linkage missing/broken

midfield general
15-11-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm having a problem with my X reg Audi A3. When you pull the tailgate handle nothing happens. Thanks to old posts on the forum I was able to remove the boot trim from the inside to reveal the lock mechanism and get it open from the inside.

Its clear that the handle causes a brassy part to rotate and a grey/silver metallic part (contained within it at the left hand side) to lift. There is a sizeable black hook beside this silver part which is connected to the linkage which opens the boot locking mechanism.

What I can't work out is whether this metallic part can be adjusted to lift the black hook or if there is a part missing which used to connect the two as at present when you pull the handle (and the silver/grey metallic part lifts) it misses the hook (and it doesn't seem to be adjustable in the direction to catch it).

I could not find any evidence of a breakage or a missing part.

The two attached photos show the position of the metallic lifting part and the black hook when the boot handle is pulled (to open) and when it is at rest so to speak.

Does anyone have a similar picture of a working mech or an exploded diagram of these parts or just some tips on what is missing here?

A similar pair of photos of a working mech might be handy.

I can vaguely jerry rig the lock by lashing the parts together with wire but its not very reliable as the wire slips or stretches and the shallow throw of the mech means that it doesn't quite open the striker.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help or advice given.

midfield general
30-11-2010, 09:37 PM
£10.00 REWARD FOR INFORMATION

Can anyone take a picture of a similar working Audi A3 tailgate lock mechanism that allows us to what is missing/going wrong here and post it in this thread?

I will gladly post a cheque for £10.00 or send £10.00 by Paypal for their trouble.

Many thanks,

Rob

NickPicks
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I'll see what I can do in the freezing cold tonight - I need to take my tailgate liner panel off to fix the parcel shelf hooks.

NickPicks
01-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, I've had the liner off and taken some photos, but my parcel shelf hooks will have to wait until it's warmer.

Here's the photos:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=801&pictureid=2684

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=801&pictureid=2683

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=801&pictureid=2682

The first one shows the mechanism at rest. The second with the handle lifted, and the third with the boot locked.

Basically, the black lever in the middle pushes down when the handle is lifted, which turns the gold plate, which pulls up on the rod which pulls up the lever on the latch which lets the tailgate pop up.

When locked, the mechanism is moved sideways so that the lever doesn't push down on it.

If you need the higher resolution images, let me know your email address and I'll email them to you.

If you want photos form other angles / closer up, let me know, and I'll take some when it's warmer.

I'm almost tempted to accept the £10 you offer as it was freezing out there, but my opinion is that the forum is here for free advice. If you think this advice is worth £10, please donate it to Help For Heroes, which seems to be the forum's favorite charity.

midfield general
02-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Nick,

Thats Awesome!

I can see the hook which is not connected on my car seems to be engaged on yours. Not sure how as mine does not seem to want to push into the silver part under-neath the left hand side of the brass plate which rotates when you pull the handle.

Something must be mis-adjusted because nothing on mine looks to be missing.

my emaill addy is DELETED if you fancy emailing the high res pictures.

Hopefully I can figure it out next time I venture outside (going to give it a miss tonight).

Will certainly beat the bit of string I currently have dangling out the boot of my car which does the same job (albeit in a rather insecure manner).

10.00 on its way to help for heroes!!!

Will make it 20.00 if I get the bu££er working.

All the best,

Rob