PDA

View Full Version : Passat Interior Lights

JASTONV
29-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Hello all,
I have a 2001 Passat TDI Sport (130) and the interior lights have not been working for the past three-four months.
I have decided to try and find out the problem, as the wife is now getting frustrated - now that the clocks have gone forward :confused:
I have recently checked the CCM and wiring in that area and it all appears to be A1 (no water ingress whatsoever). Shows no signs of corrosion
Everything else works.
Please would someone be so kind to give me some pointers.
I have checked the fuses in the side facia (drivers side). Are there any others? Earth points?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Jez.
29-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi, I have the exact same problem as you, today I have had the carpet up on my 2000 TDI Passat. I have had some water ingress although everything seems to be ok. One thing you might want to check is the earth in the front near side passenger footwell, it is the earth for the convenience control unit which powers the lights amongst other things, it is a brown wire coming from the ccu and bolted to the body, just in case you dont know all earth wires are coloure brown, there is also another earth on the left side rear pillar, although I havent found it yet. keep me in touch with any results, were both in the same situation.

Hope this helps a little.:biglaugh:

JASTONV
29-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Cheers for the help Jez. Very much appreciated
I had already checked the earth in the footwell and it was secure and uncorroded, but I never new about the one further back.
Is this the centre pillar area, behind the passenger seat, or even further back?
Please keep me posted on that one.
All my interior lights including the boot light, lights above the mirrors etc do not work, basically all the courtesy lights do not work.
Is this exactly the same for you?
I have also checked the connectors on the front pillar, all the colours of the rainbow on there, and the seem to be okay aswell.
I have a wiring diagram, but it does not tell you the exact location of the earth points for the interior lights. I think they call it nodal earthing?
I will keep you posted on developments, please could you do the same

Jez.
29-03-2006, 10:54 PM
I've just ben on passat world website and they say that the problems were having are to do with the corroded cables directly from the ccu OR the splices on them whatever they are. One guy replaced the corroded cables and lights now working, another guy freshened up the splices and now his lights are working! Do you know what these splices are??

JASTONV
30-03-2006, 07:00 AM
HI Jez, The splices are in the wiring harness that run in the passenger footwell, close to the door. They are easily visible if you lift the carpet.
They run from the A pillar down the side of the car, and there is a branch to the CCM.
I have also checked these and they look fine, no corrosion etc. But, I suppose I could have a 'dry' joint.

JASTONV
30-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Sorry, may have missed the point of your question.
I think the wires are red and black that control the lights.

JASTONV
31-03-2006, 07:30 PM
I checked splices again, and connector blocks and fuses and everything looked A1.
I bought a CCM off ebay a couple of days ago, received and fitted it today, and the lights are back.
The lights are powered by the red/black wire, which goes in to terminal 18 on the 23 pin connector on the CCM.
Basically, to summarise there was a CCM fault.
Had to reprogramme keys, easy to do yourself with the instructions available on the internet.
Hope the above help anyone else in a similar predicament.

Jez.
31-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi Jez again,

Can I be cheeky and ask how much you ended up paying for ur CCM and where you got your instructions for it from.

Regards,

Jez.

JASTONV
31-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi Jez,
CCM cost me £21.00 inc postage.
I think I got lucky, as they are not cheap units. Took a bit of a risk I guess. It could've been a 'dog'.
Easy to install, just a couple of connectors, but make sure you disconnect your battery first.
Then, it is just the matter of reprogramming the remote keys.

I recall on one of your other posts that you were asking about the earth?
From the wiring diagram I have, all the earths for the lights are connected and got to pillar A, through the CCM.

Hope the above helps.

JASTONV
31-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention.
When I fitted the CCM the front interior lights including make-up lights and boot light starting working, but not the lights above the rear doors.
I thought it may be something to do with the alarm, as I think they have sensors in these units. So I was a tad deflated.
But I opened them up, and it just needed a contactor tweak on each of them and, hey presto, illumination

Jez.
31-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Well Done for getting there at last I'll get round to sorting mine when it stops raining, just been o e-bay tho and there's nothing left. Yep you must of been lucky.

:biglaugh:

Jez.

JASTONV
31-03-2006, 10:13 PM
I would get yourself to your local 'scrappers' or on to some salvage sites on the 'net.
I am sure there must be plenty of 'wrapped' Passats.
At your local it could be removed in minutes, slash the carpets etc etc.
:naughty:
The scrap dealers are probably not aware of the value and importance of the item to us passat owners

JASTONV
31-03-2006, 10:20 PM
I am going to take my 'fautly' CCM in to work on monday and ask one of our electronic 'bods' to take a look at the circuitry for pin 18 and do a check on the board.
It may be just a 'dry joint'
Keep you posted.

goti
17-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Hi, i am having a similar problem, but just wanted to know if u had to cut ur carpet and take out your passenger seat, or does the carpet come up easy. dont really want to cut carpet. Thanks.

Also to let you about the sensors, there is a sensor just under the gearbox covering, if u lift the gaerbox covering, the sensor is suck to the back of the plastic.

JASTONV
17-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi,
No, you don't have to cut your carpets, but you will have to remove some of the trim which holds it in place so you can get underneath, it is not difficult.
Also, you do not need to remove the passenger seat,.
The CCM is located in a plastic box, in a 'pit' in the passengers footwell.
The length of the harness should allow you to ease the box out, so you can work on it.
If you are thinking of replacing your CCM, you will have to reprogramme your key(s). This is quite simple aswell.
Hope the above helps
Anything else, just give me a shout and I will try and help