PDA

View Full Version : Polo - strange noise when turning/full lock right

Dreamertae
21-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi all,

OK so this is a problem which has been happening for a few weeks. Not noticable whilst driving generally but sometimes when turning right, specifically further right eg. at junction, out of parking space or turning round etc. There is a loud sort of knocking noise coming from (we think) the front wheels, not sure what side of the car its coming from, but havnt noticed the noise when turning left. One person who has driven it thinks it is coming from the left side of the car, although I know noises/location can be misleading when driving the car.

We'll probably have to get it checked out by a garage anyway, but does anybody have any ideas on what it is/could be? Any help appreciated, thanks :o

e6m6a6
21-06-2007, 02:19 PM
my mate had this on his corsa, his CV boots were dry and therefore when the wheel were in motion and turing at the same time a knocking sound was herd.

Tuke the boots off,but since the grease has dispeared in the first place we decided to replace the boot aswell ,filled with grease and away he went.

My advice would to get this done soon, as there is little or no grease in the boot and dust and muck gettin in, this will soon start to damage the components inside.

P.S As your car is a VW this is problem but on Nissan's this is built in design, manufactors always say full lock should only be used for about 5 seconds, as can create a lot of damage to the rubber gators :D

Dreamertae
21-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the reply, will get it checked out soon then. Sorry to sound stupid but what do u mean by cv boots? (dont kno much about this yet!)

e6m6a6
21-06-2007, 04:52 PM
constant voloscity joints

In other words a shaft that can move in the up and down motion (suspension) and rotate with the road wheels at the same time. Transmitting rotation from the gearbox output to the wheel whilst dealing with bumps in the road, if you can make any sence of that!

if you put your wheels into full lock and look behind it you will see a rubber gator (wider at one end and smaller to the other, attached to the end of the drive shaft) have a look and see if you can see any evidence of a leak of grease or an abnormal gathering of dirt (as it will stick to the grease!) and then you will know for definate :D

Dreamertae
23-06-2007, 04:39 PM
O right, thanks! will take a look at that when I get a chance, and hopefully get it sorted soon! :o

MrE
25-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi, I have the same problem with my 1999 1L Polo, but on both sides, ie, knocking sound turning left or right. I tried repacking the CV boots with grease, but it made no difference. Do you know if the actual CV joints can be replaced? Or is it a case of getting new driveshafts?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
MrE

e6m6a6
25-06-2007, 10:27 PM
yes, heres some prices i found for you :)

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/cv-joint-details.php?txtmodel=Polo&Submit=Next&txtmake=Volkswagen

MrE
25-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks e6m6a6, are these relatively easy to change? I'm ok with a spanner and a big hammer. (LOL). I guess it would be sensible to do both sides at same time. Am I right in thinking that there are two per drive shaft, inner and outer? Or are they two different beasts.
Thanks

e6m6a6
25-06-2007, 10:49 PM
i have ever actually changed one to tell you the truth!

i should think you would only need to change the outer one as thats the one which turns but yet again never changed one, but yeah change both sides to save you time in the long run.

i think that it will tell you how to it in the haynes manual if you have one? i shall have a look later if it does say or not, but thinking about it it can be that hard just a bit messy with all the grease but thats the best part :)

if you do get stuck in, tell me how you get one as im sure ill have to change on sooner or later, thank you

MrE
25-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Sure thing ... and thanks for advise.

davedefeet
29-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I bought my 1998 Passat off a motor mechanic aquaintance, he changed both CV joints just before selling it to me, but still had a knocking when on full lock to the right, he says he tried to stop the noise but failed, couldn't figure what caused it, but not to worry about it, as the shafts and CV boots etc are new and not leaking etc.

Apparently this is caused by a bit of bush, joint, or suspension wear on older cars, that causes the shaft to move in and out a bit when on full lock. The knocking seems to have disappeared on mine, but I think as long as you only hear it on full-lock, it's nothing to to worry about, except if you're into high speed dohnuts,

Cheers

Dave

Sue T
02-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi I'm after some advice too!! Bought my Polo brand new in March this year and but has been back to the VW garage twice already. They have said that it's the CV Boots and will replace them this week. Surely I shouldn't be getting problems this early on??? Is this dangerous in any way?

thanks

e6m6a6
02-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Sue T

the only understandable reason i can think of such a young car have problems like that already is that there must of been a split in the boots when it was bought

or

it has been left, parked in full lock for a while (never do that!) and has weakened the rubber which has caused it to have a premature failure with normal driving

both cases i have herd of but very rare with a car of such low age

well im sure this will be warranty work?

but no its not danerous as such but when there is a split in the rubber gators muck and crap can get in and give a very short service life of the components

hope this helps!

Sue T
02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for that
Yeah it's under warranty , just the inconvenience having to go there again.

davedefeet
03-07-2007, 01:21 AM
Sue T, I'd only be concerned if the knocking comes back after the repair, let the mechanics do their job, some cars do have "issues" when new.

I'm not sure what countries it covers but I find GSF (German, Swedish and French) Car Parts only sell top quality CV Boots (got some for my Volvo 850) and the prices are great, i.e. Polo from about £6 to £10, Passat £3.55 to £10 (including VAT) try https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/

cheers

Dave

markster
03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
one of both of these matches your symptoms

tich
18-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi all,

OK so this is a problem which has been happening for a few weeks. Not noticable whilst driving generally but sometimes when turning right, specifically further right eg. at junction, out of parking space or turning round etc. There is a loud sort of knocking noise coming from (we think) the front wheels, not sure what side of the car its coming from, but havnt noticed the noise when turning left. One person who has driven it thinks it is coming from the left side of the car, although I know noises/location can be misleading when driving the car.

We'll probably have to get it checked out by a garage anyway, but does anybody have any ideas on what it is/could be? Any help appreciated, thanks :o

similar on a polo but very simple to sort out lose nuts bottom ball joints
get your toolkit out a check them