PDA

View Full Version : Question Boot latch opens on its own.

jonesrd1
10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Anyone have any experience of a boot latch on 2006 golf plus opening on its own? When the car is unlocked you can hear the boot unlatching every 10-15 seconds. It doesn't do it when the car is locked. I am thinking that maybe I need a new boot latch but wanted to see if anyone had any previous experience of this before I start spending.

behaviour
01-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same issue on my Golf Plus. If I unplug the boot release switch (not the actual latch) it stops which says to me a new switch is needed but I want to avoid buying part after part until I get the right one! :biglaugh:

stottgolfplus
31-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same issue on my Golf Plus. If I unplug the boot release switch (not the actual latch) it stops which says to me a new switch is needed but I want to avoid buying part after part until I get the right one! :biglaugh:

Did either of you ever find a solution to this?

I had a similar experience (boot unlatching every 10-15 seconds), but having left the car overnight the unlatching had stopped, and the switch did not work at all any more. I wondered if the constant firing had burnt out the actuator, but am reluctant to replace that part until I get to the bottom of the cause.

It is probably worth mentioning that the problem first started immediately after the car was driven through a flood (~12 inches water).

Any ideas?

behaviour
31-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Did either of you ever find a solution to this?

I had a similar experience (boot unlatching every 10-15 seconds), but having left the car overnight the unlatching had stopped, and the switch did not work at all any more. I wondered if the constant firing had burnt out the actuator, but am reluctant to replace that part until I get to the bottom of the cause.

It is probably worth mentioning that the problem first started immediately after the car was driven through a flood (~12 inches water).

Any ideas?

When I first had this issue I found that the plug into the switch was pretty corroded which suggests I had a leak at some stage. After months of messing about with it and actually going to the length of soldering the wires directly to the pins inside the switch I finally gave in and bought a second hand switch (the whole unit) from Ebay and it's been working fine ever since.

Hope this helps!