PDA

View Full Version : Touran turbo whistle

toffee68
21-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Just bought an 06 1.9TDI. When starting off I can hear what sounds like the turbo whistle. Is this normal to hear it from inside? I'm wondering if it is actually the turbo or something else in the air system leaking..

Fourbears
21-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I've got an 06 TDi 1.9 too. Never heard a whistle inside unless the windows are not done up properly in the rear doors. Mine are wind up and its easy to hit the winders. But you only get that with speed.

stuart
21-06-2007, 10:29 PM
I can hear the turbo whistle on my car when I accelerate with the windows open. I believe it is just the turbo spinning up to speed, but if you think it is too loud, have a quick word with a dealer.

Stuart

boomboomer
23-06-2007, 09:33 AM
On my 06 1.9TDI I can only just hear the turbo when the engine is heavily loaded and accelerating at part or half throttle. But it's got to be very quiet in the car to be able to make it out over the engine.

If the noise varys with the throttle position then it is the turbo.

If it's that noticable then you need to get the turbo checked.

PS> if you want to hear a real engine hum try this: http://www.break.com/index/we-are-the-champions.html

Eshrules
23-06-2007, 11:37 AM
id say its a normal noise, if you're concerned, pop the bonnet and listen to the engine at idle, listen out for any 'hissing' noises, this can be indicative of a boost leak, its highly unlikely to be a faulty turbo if you can hear it, it is more likely to be a boost leak, could be the smallest of holes in a boost pipe.:beerchug:

turpal
31-01-2009, 12:24 AM
My touran 2.0tdi (500bhp-I wish :biglaugh:) had whistling noise when i went to for a test drive which i thought is normal for these engines.If it was wistling like after 2000rpm but not too loud it would be normal.I actually bought it and took it for a cambelt change.My mechanic tolf me it doesn`t sound right so i went to vw for 2nd opinion wich was the same.The simptoms were:when u start it from cold u could hear a slight whistle but as the engine goes wormer it needed more revs to whistle but 1500rpm u could hear loud enough inside the car.Changed the turbo and looked at the old 1 the shuft inside had plenty of movement.Funny thing is it was pulling ok,no smoke,good mpg.Currently running it in not going above 2000rpm(apparently should give it about 200miles,not sure but logically makes sence)Cost me £442 with Vat for the unit(recond.)Essex turbos in Witham.