PDA

View Full Version : Collecting my new A4 SLine on Monday - what will the dealer run through?

wj209980
10-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Okay, so I get to collect my new A4 SLine on Monday.

It's a company car, and they advised my admin dept that, instead of someone collecting the car for me and bringing it to work, I should go in person to the Audi dealership becuase they would prefer to me to get the full "buying a new Audi experience".

I've never had a car from brand new before, so really I'm just interested to find out what happens on the day?

pitch3110
10-11-2010, 08:21 PM
TBH not really a great if it is from my local, having said that I know the salesman well and have had two from him now.

A long time ago when I was mere 21 (1987) I treated myself to a brand new XR2 and that was a great experience, so if it's your first time I am sure you are very excited and will enjoy.

Ask lots of questions and try to get them to through a jacket or flease in.

Enjoy though

Pitch

mkc
10-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Really does depend to be honest. For the dealer you're just another customer and llike me a company lease car so you tend not to get treated very well. However, this depends on the dealer and the member of staff.

Dont sign anything or try to get away quickly until you are happy.
Check every panel for dings and dents, tape from the transport protection etc.

I had a 60 plate A3 Black S Line today whilst my A4 was in for a service. nice car but the paint was appaling. Make sure that the paint work looks good (thats me being fussy).

Make sure you get every option you selected. Dont get home and find that something is missing. Anything extra dont mention! Make sure you have the correct Sound system if ordered, retractable mirrors etc whatever you went for.

Weve had someone on here order a Quattro and got front will drive!

Two keys. Maybe asking about the servicing, ask for a run through the menus on the Infotainment System or MMI screen.

Electric Handbrake system so ensure you understand that, when to press when you dont need to press

If you have a phone prep, maybe worth asking them to get it working.

Get in there early as they tend to have more time then from my experience.

As its your first brand new car I hope the experience is good for you. Of course we'll need pictures when your baby arrives! :beerchug:

A1287210
11-11-2010, 09:27 AM
I had a great experience, company car but bought by the company so I was picking it up as any other customer. Car was parked in the middle of the show room, with people milling around, after they were shewed away the guy went through everything on the car, the sat nav, cruise control electronic parking break he was very good, and wanted to introduce me to the admin and technical team personally so I could ring them up at any time. This was a bit of a waste of time as I picked the car up in Norwich and I live in Chesterfield, so the car has never seen that dealership since.

Very good Audi......I should have asked for a jacket though:Blush:

wj209980
11-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the info/tips guys - much appreciated!

pitch3110
11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Good to hear all went well.....
Funny that......that's where mine came from.

Pitch

wj209980
11-11-2010, 09:45 AM
The one thing i'm not necessarily looking forward to is the electric parking brake (my A4 will be manual transmission by the way, as opposed to automatic which may benefit from the electric handbrake more). Can't see the benefit (other than the arm-rest room it gives you), although I can't really judge until i've tried it.

I've seen a few posts on the web of people having trouble with it when trying do do hill starts on steepish hills etc. I'm sure once I've had a go it'll be fine :-)

Hippogriff
11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Sooooo.... if it's an S line...

- check your DRLs are on, if you want 'em on, mine were off at delivery
- check your exhaust tips are rolled chrome (or whatever), the shiny ones
- check for your S line badges and trim (wings, scuff plates, steering wheel etc.)

Regardless of it being an S line...

- have a look for netting in the boot, if not there, ask for it - I quite like it
- ask if your software levels on the MMI 3G (if you have nav.) are updated
- check every option you added
- take your time, it'll still drive the same in 90 minutes
- check you have the AMI cables you want, if you have AMI - you're due two
- try and have a quick drive with a Tech.? - to check for rattles and squeaks etc.

Got a bit stuck after that.

golfgt140
11-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I'd hope they would take you for a short drive, and I would go over the electronic handbrake again and again with the salesman. Maybe I'm a dummy but it took me some getting used to!

I bought used, and still had a great experience. I was treated extremely well and not rushed. I went to Northampton Audi, my salesman (Nigel) was excellent. I will definately make the effort to go there again when I'm getting my next Audi (and I live in NI)!

My car was sitting inside the showroom, and it looked brand new. We spent ages going through all the controls, radio etc and he synced my phone with the car etc. I had loads of time to inspect the car with a fine toothcomb. There was also time given to go through the manuals- again really beneficial as I was full of questions.

The drive with the salesman was really beneficial. The car was an auto (my first) and I really appreciated the time given to play with the gears, and the different ways to use them. (I still cant use 'manual' effectively though!:Blush:)

You should look for the first aid kit to make sure its there, also check (or ask) for a bottle of screenwash and top up oil. If mats/mudflaps were not previously agreed, tell them you're not leaving without them. Ask also for a tub of touch up paint.

Good luck

wj209980
11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Oooh, more super tips - thanks everyone!

I'll definatley get a demonstration with the electronic handbrake then - it would be rather annoying to bolt out of the dealership and then get stuck the first time I have to apply the handbrake!

Can't wait - it's like Christmas when you're a kid :-)

adrianwalker
11-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Okay, so I get to collect my new A4 SLine on Monday.

It's a company car, and they advised my admin dept that, instead of someone collecting the car for me and bringing it to work, I should go in person to the Audi dealership becuase they would prefer to me to get the full "buying a new Audi experience".

I've never had a car from brand new before, so really I'm just interested to find out what happens on the day?

Your should allow a good couple of hours to collect your car. I had a complimentary car before mine so I had 4 weeks experience, but there will always be questions to ask, e.g. the computer or pair your phone. Check that you have both AMI leads and a quart of oil for the first year topping up. Above all enjoy being called Mr or Sir.

ScottyUK
11-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Before you go to collect it, ensure they're happy to release the car i.e. it has been paid for and is it all insured.

Red 2
11-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Should give you a good run through all the basic controls (after he has got his paws on the dosh if you are a retail customer like I was:biglaugh:) and I would always do a check for bodywork/interior damage damage just in case someone has dinged it etc.

Nice touches last time for us were the small freebies that were produced, pens, nice key rings etc....little cost to the dealer but made the experience so much better. That included a couple of the Audi teddy bears for junior, both of which still sit in her bedroom.

I must confess that after that, I just wanted to take it way as quickly as possible and play with it......:Blush::Blush2::D

ScottyUK
11-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I didn't get any freebies .... but then I didn't leave them much margin with which they could afford to :D

vwawudi
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Didn't buy new and had the car delivered to me 280 miles away!

I'm pretty sure the salesman was glad to be shot of me, I haggled hard and he was physically weak and exasperated by the time we had concluded negotiations! Sure he had margins (they all do) but I like to think I ran him close!

Went back to them for warranty work and they were fab, the kind of treatment I expected from Audi aftersales!

Back to the matter at hand - check very closely for bodywork and trim issues. I discovered mine had a trim problem and didn't sign till I was assured it would be fixed FOC.

wj209980
16-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Well I picked it up yesterday and I am sooooo happy with it :-)

The dealer walked me from the main showroom into a side room where just my car was sitting under a sheet - and then he did the "reveal".

He then went through all the controls, allowed me to pick a free gift out the cabinet, and just made sure I was happy with everything. He then introduced me the manager of the branch and went away, whilst the manager made sure I was happy with everything the dealer had done for me.

Then it was back to my car and away :)

Loving it! (although I miss the rear windscreen wiper I've had on all my previous cars - wasn't aware there wasn't one lol!).

ScottyUK
16-11-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm glad it went well :beerchug:

On my TT and S4 saloon, I used to put Rain-X on the rear screen. It basically smooths the glass so that water runs off. It also helps stop water freezing on it.

wj209980
16-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Ooooh - that's a good tip!

I'll go get some later :-)

Cheers!

Bratty
16-11-2010, 12:33 PM
One thing that was a concern for me, was that I do very low yearly mileages, so buying a new car had me potentially being "out of warranty" when the first service was due (Not Oil Service) so that any potential problems would not have been discovered until to late. Apart from that I was totally happy with my car and until I sold it (one year old) had no concerns or irratations with its build quality.

Good luck with your car, it is without doubt one of the better choices that you could have made.

Dunk

ScottyUK
16-11-2010, 01:15 PM
We're low mileage also. That issue with warranty is resolved simply by booking a service just before the three years expiry date. You need a service at latest 3 years anyway due to the brake fluid etc.