PDA

View Full Version : starter motor test

murray26775
09-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi all, my beloved a4 2.8 v6 wont start, local mechanic says its the starter and want a mere £300 to replace it, i have my doubts its the starter as it just stopped working suddenly and didnt play up, (having to bang it ect). could anyone give me advice or procedures on how to take off the starter and test it before shelling out for a new one. diagrams would be a great benifit as i am determined to fix the problem myself. Thanks

yaman
09-11-2010, 03:54 PM
You can do a quick-check by running a live feed
from the battery to the starter + terminal.
( in neutral, of course :D)

If the starter turns, then i would look at the
relay or ignition switch.

Regards
Jim

manclad
09-11-2010, 05:09 PM
First check if the starter solenoid is clicking when the ignition key is turned to the start position.
Also check voltage going into the solenoid and at the starter terminals.

If voltage is present at the solenoid and it's clicking but no voltage at the starter the solenoid is at fault.
If voltage is present at the starter it's the starter that faulty.

murray26775
09-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys, i will give this a go tomorrow, weather was a bit off today so didnt get near it. also, the mechanic said it was a four hour job to change, i have a feeling he is just trying to hit me with high labour costs, does anyone know what is involved in changing a starter on this model engine? i have changed many starters and they have never taken an hour let alone four

murray26775
14-11-2010, 04:16 PM
ok, i ran a lead to the starter and its dead, going to gsf in the morning for a new one, £112, not too bad compared to the mechanics £300. He recons its a three and half hour job, and since im going to attempt it myself is there anything i need to know before starting, all info would be appreciated
:beerchug:

yaman
14-11-2010, 05:00 PM
ok, i ran a lead to the starter and its dead, going to gsf in the morning for a new one, £112, not too bad compared to the mechanics £300. He recons its a three and half hour job, and since im going to attempt it myself is there anything i need to know before starting, all info would be appreciated:beerchug:

If i remember correctly. there was 2 sizes, the early large starter
needs more clearance (and more stripping) than the later smaller
one. The small one is a replacement for the former.

Just remember, when you get the bolts off, you will need about
4 inches clearance, in front of the starter, to slide it out.
Anything in the way, must be removed.

Regards
Jim

murray26775
14-11-2010, 05:51 PM
the engine is in the way. lol. im trying to find a manual online but am not having much luck