PDA

View Full Version : Alhambra Tdi Electrical Fault

RadioactiveKidd
20-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Can anyone help?? I have a 2001 TDI Alhambra, which I love. Following last night's monsoon rainfall & lightning storms, everytime I turn off the ignition, my electric front windows go down!! Can anyone offer help?? I'm kind of assuming water has got in somewhere and playing havoc with the electrics, but where?? Any help appriciated as I'm not brilliantly mechanical minded (but not totally useless!!) & could do without the expense of a day at the garage!!!
Thanks.

djswampy
23-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Look under the passenger seat. There might be a compartment. On the mk1 the central locking/alarm module is under there. If it fills up with water then it can cause problems. My windows open and close on their own at the moment but the central locking and alarm systems don't work either.

RadioactiveKidd
24-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks for that mate. It seems to have rectified itself now (probably dried out!!). I never did find the fault but I did look under the passenger seat at the time and it was bone dry??
Thanks anyway and hopefully it won't happen again??

djswampy
24-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Make sure that the plugs are connected properly. Also it might be worth looking at the central locking/alarm module for water damage.

johnmccoubrey@t
25-06-2007, 05:56 PM
The alarm/central locking module sender in my Alhambra mentioned above was totally immersed in water.I sprayed Wd40 and dried it with a hairdryer but the central locking and alarm were still going mad. i took the module out of the car and removed the plastic housing to reveal the circuit board(it pulls out). I then gave it a gentle brush with a stiff bristled paint brush apparently particles of salt from the water, 'short out'the circuit board. After re installing it, It has worked perfectly since (touch wood)

djswampy
25-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Its the calcium more than the salt. gotta get that white stuff off. Hot water is good to rinse it off. be careful not to scratch the board or you'll loose the connections. Make sure you rinse and dry thoroughly.