PDA

View Full Version : Quiet tyres for 2007 Passat?

jeanfanatique
20-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Really enjoy driving my new Passat 2.0 SE TDI DSG estate - road holding is much better than my previous car (2001 equivalent).
However, the road noise is quite a surprise. I notice that the tyres, Dunlop Sport 01 215/55 R16 97W XL are designed for speeds up to 168mph - twice as fast as I ever go. I am thinking of changing them for something quieter - anyone know which are the best? And would it be good to change the wheels as well?:confused:

SLEACH
20-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Ever thought about Bridgestone ER300? This tyre is not dissimilar to your Dunlop but it has more silicone and should be quieter. Cost wise it should be about the same around £100.00 plus vat should be average price. https://www.thevirtualwarehouse.co.uk/prodimg/1/ER300.PNG:beerchug:

jeanfanatique
20-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks SLEACH - noted!

RickT
20-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I used to have the Dunlops on my audi, i they were fine..

The only time i had issues with road noise is on Concrete motorways.. (like everyone else.... ie The M25 clockwise towards the Dartford Crossing or A1 M1 north past Leeds...

(how sad is that knowing concrete sections!!)

RickT

jeanfanatique
21-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks, Rick - that's really useful - suggests I look for another solution to my road noise issue.

BROOKLINE
01-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I have just posted a review about rear tyres on the New Passats.. you may be interested to read it.... the noise may be your rear tyres going out of shape on the inside edges!! It can happen on the fronts too... but on the 4 cars I run its the rears that rumble!

jeanfanatique
01-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks, Brookline. I have actually found out what most of the problem was. It was a badly-fitted tow-bar!! When the VW dealer put it on, the fitter seems to have left a relay box bouncing around under the trim. I got to the point of changing tyres for Bridgestone, but found them little different. Local VW garage would not help - reason I found out about it was that they had put the wrong socket on, in any case, and I asked a local trailer dealer to change it for me. Car is really good now - though there is still a bit more rumble from the back than I would have expected.

dervdaddy
07-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I used to have Dunlop SP SPORT 2000E tyres on my Bora but changed to Dunlop SP SPORT FASTRESPONSE (a new tyre) and they're much quieter. Great traction too - has spoilt my fun spinning the wheels in 2nd gear!!

Europa25
27-07-2011, 11:01 PM
I was wondering on this factor too as i need all 4 replaced soon!

The Passat has Dunlop SP01s on at the moment with 25k on the front tyres and 40k on the rear.
I use a good section of the concrete part of the M25 everyday (noisy!) and want a quiet tyre with good wet grip and wear :)
On tyrereviews.co.uk, the Bridgestone ER 300 had some bad reviews re noise despite a claim to be a quiet tyre!