PDA

View Full Version : Just got my 2004 Touran: Servicing questions.

ProDave
06-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Just collected my 2004 Touran 1.6 FSI petrol today.

I didn't get the complete owners manual, but did get the servicing section.

My car has done 80,500 miles, and appears to only have had 3 services at 17572 miles, 43977 miles and 62295 miles.

So on that basis of being 18205 miles and 18 months since the last service, I reckon a service is due now.

Now I always do all my own servicing and usually change engine oil and filter more often than scheduled (on my older cars I change every 5K whereas schedule says 6K)

Now the VW service schedule booklet just confuses me with mention of long life oil and "intervals dependant on time and distance travelled" without specifying actual mileage intervals for oil change.

At the moment my dashboard shows a little picture of a spanner. I take it this is telling me a service is due? Once I have done the service and reset it, at what mileage will this come on again?

Next what oil. I've just read the sticky about long life oil and change of spec. and non hardened camshafts etc. So what do I do?

Always on my cars before I have used mid range semi synthetic oil. Is that still appropriate given I will be oil and filter changing at least every 10K or 1 year from now on? If so what grade of oil (it doesn't even tell me that in the rather useless service booklet)

Lastly, since all of my service stamps tick "no" for cam belt change, and it's due at 80,000 miles, I guess I should be booking that in PDQ.