PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Sensor

gareths quattro
06-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey all

Had the engine management light come on the other day. I drove it quite hard in 2nd gear up the slip road onto the motorway . Then changed from 2nd gear to 5th as i was up to about 60mph ish. (Wouldnt normally go from 2nd to 5th!) Engine management light came on so thought ah damm, what have i done?

I could also hear a loud ticking noise from the engine on tick over so thought it would be best to call the RAC. Im a member so thought they'd do the diagnostic check for free, rather than paying audi. They checked for fault codes and it came up something like number 1 system too lean. RAC guy was really good. Said could be a faulty oxygen sensor. He said keep an eye on it, any more problems look to have them changed. He cleared the fault codes, and the light on the dash board went out.

The rac diagnostic pc was really good... is it possible to get hold of some software and the cable to check for fault codes? Being able to read codes myself could save a few quid if the light comes on, and would be brilliant if i could reset / clear the codes myself. His diagnostic test actually dispayed the fault code and a description which is really useful, rather than a code which you then have to work out what that means.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
many thanks in advance!

ukdan
06-11-2010, 10:56 PM
For VW\Audi group cars, i would recommend a programme called VCDS. Excellent bit of kit which you can use to code accessories with, do your own diagnostic scans, re-set warning lights and service warnings etc.

gareths quattro
09-11-2010, 10:36 PM
cheers Dan. Where can this software and cable be purchased from? Will that software run the full diagnostic checks like the RAC software?

Adman
09-11-2010, 10:42 PM
http://www.ross-tech.com/