PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Urgently

Peter_HMR
06-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Ok so hopefully I have not seriously wrecked my car problem is as follows.

Was checking some values on my car with VAGcom and was reading about the output tests so tried it on the instrument controller and works fine different gauges and lights start working. Tried it on the ABS controller ross-tech site said to make sure the car was not moving which was fine only after I pressed the output test button the computer didn't freeze but started loading where you get the little hour glass. Left it for a minute and nothing was happening so hit the cancel button closed down Vagcom and left it.

Started my car and drove out of the house and down the road a small bit where there was a medium noise knock/bang and the power went from the engine. Turned it off and turned it back on again but still not right when the engine is idling the rev's arent steady and keep going up and down. The car will rev fine up to 4000 but again its not steady and will drop off and go back and then drop off. The car is certainly not drivable.

So I got it home anyway and did a fault code read and came out with the following

Chassis Type: 3B - VW Passat B5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,19,35,36,37,46,55,56,58

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 038 906 019 ER
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 1466
Coding: 00005
Shop #: WSC 00028
WVWZZZ3BZ2P235529 VWZ7Z0A4311351
1 Fault Found:
18057 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ABS Controller
P1649 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A

Which from a very small amout of research idicates to a faulty ABS controller. So what it seems like to me is that the controller got corrupted when I cancelled the test much in the same way a USB key can be corrupted if you remove it while its still loading.

Has anyone come across this before or offer any advise or solutions. I know there is a recode button on the Vagcom would this reload the software unto the unit??

The only other thing I changed was module 3 which is to do with the EGR, I reset the service interval and I changed the autolock on the convienance module. I also did an oil change on the car but I can't see this effecting and I shorted the two cables going to the front left brakepad as the connector broke and the light was on the dash. The light was off the next time I started the car. After that the only thing I can think of is I filled the windscreen washer with water.:1zhelp:

A4 Lad
06-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Ewwww !!

snapdragon
06-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Ooo, you've been windozed!
Try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it.
Good luck. You could also try clearing the error code and see if it comes back, but try one thing at a time, so you know what cleared the problem if it goes.

martin1810
07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Bit late now, but never do anything with vcds without writing down coding first or taking screen shots and saving them in word. I think you may have lost the abs module coding. Have a look here, it gives a guide to what the correct coding should be. You need the cars info sticker from the spare wheel well to work it out. Then follow the instructions.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_%283B%29_Brake_Electronics_%28Bosch_5.7% 29

pete99
07-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Bit late now, but never do anything with vcds without writing doen coding first or taking screen shots and saving them in word. I think you may have lost the abs module coding. Have a look here, it gives a guide to what the correct coding should be. You need the cars info sticker from the spare wheel well to work it out. Then follow the instructions.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_%283B%29_Brake_Electronics_%28Bosch_5.7% 29
Maybe time 'vagcom' installed a 'system restore' huh ?:(
ps- is there anyone out there who can explain just why I am a 'new member' when I've been on here since 2006 ?.

Peter_HMR
08-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Ok so not as bad as I tought it was.

One things I forgot to mention is that I was checking the air intake pipes for oil as its been sugested that my turbo seals might be going. I also didn't mention when the car started 'limping' there was alot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I went back on with vagcom and cleared the fault and it didn't come up again so it must have only come on temporarily when the computer was loading the output test. After this I have a look under the bonnet and found one of the intake pipes had come loose. What must have happened was the clip didn't go on fully and when the hose was under pressure it popped off causing the bang/knock. The engine was obviously starved of air causing the power loss and all the white smoke caused by unburnt fuel.

Thanks for the help sorry for being a bit dramatic I was just stuck at home with noone around and needed to be somewhere the next day with no other car.

Also just to pick up on what Martain has said I always keep note of any parameters changed on VCDS but a save and restore feature would be a great addition to the program.