PDA

View Full Version : Sharan cutting out

pinarello
20-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I have a 1998 2L petrol Sharan which keeps cutting out intermitently. This seems to happen once the car has warmed up and is instant, no hesitation, it just dies. This problem occurs when driving or when stationary on the drive. I have changed the following:

Distributor
HT Leads
Coil
Distributor Cap & Rotor Arm
Crank Shaft Speed Sensor

~ all genuine VW Parts

I am now stuck as to what to do next. I have been to the local VW dealer, hoping they could identify the problem with their equipment, but to no avail. To leave it with them is going to cost too much money.

Could I rule out the wiring as it happens when the car is stationary?

Could it be the ECU & how can this be checked?

I'd be pleased to hear of any similar experiences or advice.

Thankyou in advance!

a8 tech
20-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Crank sender was a common but you say you have replaced it so i would look at the engine control unit voltage supply relay.Sounds like the voltage is being interrupted on the secondary side of the relay,you may be able to confirm this by connecting a voltmeter to the secondary side of the relay for the voltage feed to the engine control unit.If the engine cuts out the voltage should remain constant.Also as my memory is comming back to these sharans ther was a issue with the earth points around the nearside front engine bay near the headlight as corrosion would occur.

jxs
21-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I have the same problem with an older petrol Sharon and have just posted a note on this. I have had the Hall senor replaced. The diagnostic people cant get it to cut out for long enough to finf the fault. The next suggestion is the exhaust . Mine makes an odd ticking noise just as it is cutting out with an odd smell

If I do anything else will post again but the scrap yard beckons as it is just too dangerous on the motorway

I have a 1998 2L petrol Sharan which keeps cutting out intermitently. This seems to happen once the car has warmed up and is instant, no hesitation, it just dies. This problem occurs when driving or when stationary on the drive. I have changed the following:

Distributor
HT Leads
Coil
Distributor Cap & Rotor Arm
Crank Shaft Speed Sensor

~ all genuine VW Parts

I am now stuck as to what to do next. I have been to the local VW dealer, hoping they could identify the problem with their equipment, but to no avail. To leave it with them is going to cost too much money.

Could I rule out the wiring as it happens when the car is stationary?

Could it be the ECU & how can this be checked?

I'd be pleased to hear of any similar experiences or advice.

Thankyou in advance!

pinarello
24-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks 'a8 tech':beerchug:

Took the fuse box off and identified the relay (this has a number "30" on it) that supllies the ECU. Started the engine and sat until it conked out so I could check the voltage. Just before the engine stopped the relay made a chattering noise and then a click!. So I tried it again while holding the relay and sure enough the relay clicked just before the engine stopped. Took the relay out and removed plastic cover. Nothing obvious at first but on close inspection with a magnifying glass around the soldered joints I found a fracture around one of the solder joints for the small transformer. Resoldered the joint and now the cutting out has completely gone!!!!!

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction on that one 'a8 tech'.

Don't suppose you know what could be causing my lumpy running at speeds between 30 & 40 mph? Runs fine when first on choke but then runs pretty lumpy when the engine has warmed up! Thougth the cutting out and this may be related but aren't.

Thanks again.

a8 tech
24-06-2007, 02:21 PM
And well done to your self for finding it.As for the lumpy running clean out the throttle body/intake pipes and take it from there.