PDA

View Full Version : a6 knocking

stuartliddell
20-06-2007, 03:01 PM
hi guys

i have had some new discs and pads on the front of my 2.8 a6 quattro 1998 saloon and since fitment (by a garage) i have had a single knock when you apply the brake pedal. the garage that fitted the part told me it was my track rod ends so i had these repaced as well. the knocking is still there. i also have a squeeking noise somtimes as i am driving along which dissapears when you apply the brake again but doesn't come back for at least 5 mins or so. it is almost like one of the pads isn,t secure. one side of the pads have the cage type locator which clips into the piston, but should the other side be stuck in place or just have copper grease??

please help!!

regards stuart

Alas
20-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi, with an Audi supplied item the outer brake pad should have a sticky layer that holds it onto the caliper...

Highermileage
03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Stu

My 98 Avant has done this for 2 years! I recently had an ABS Modulator and had the brakes thoroughly checked. No body, including Audi have been able to confirm what it is - so I would go along with the idea that the pad becomes loose or isnt in place after braking, and thus when you brake again you get this single knock.

In the wet I dont notice it, its just when its wet.

Have you had any further diagnosis or are you living with it?

Regards

wysiwyg73
09-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I had this problem. It turned out to be worn calipers allowing the pads to move about and it got so bad before it was rectified that I could turn heads while driving around town!

Highermileage
09-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Crikey - mine is definetlt getting worse.

Can you remember how much this cost to rectify or was it a DIY?

Thanks

webchem
09-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Mine feels like the ABS comes on just before the car comes to a halt - only in slow moving traffic.

Under normal braking there is no issue...

wysiwyg73
09-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I can't remember what the cost was, but no doubt it wasn't cheap. It certainly wasn't a DIY job - heavy work on the brakes is one thing I don't do nowadays, for safety reasons. Driving 1.4 tons around at high speed just can't be taken lightly. Brakes need to perform okay. If there's any doubt, get a professional to sort it and save money by doing the less critical tasks yourself.