PDA

View Full Version : REtrofitting a MDI to a Passat CC advice please.

jon.kelly
05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi guys, I've ordered a Passat CC and since changed my mind that I want the MDI. I've been told by the lease company that to change it will throw it even further back in the build queue which I dont want to do.
For you seasoned boffins out there i've got some questions that you may be able to help with?

1. Do you think i could get away with retrofitting this piece of kit and not telling the lease company?

2. Whats the cost and how problematic is this?
3. Anyone know a good supplier / fitter based in the Liverpool area?
many thanks

Jon

ahennessy1
05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi Jon Im Also in the same position as you car is ordered via lease company and after seeing the mdi in my colleagues scrirocco i could kick myself i didnt order one, i have been looking at them on ebay but as i dont get car till Feb im holding fire for now on what i buy, have seen mdi for glovebox but also for central arm rest. Ill be watching this threard with interest as have just had dealer confirm my cc will come with RNS315 head unit. If anyone does get back to you let me know
cheers

bud@cfvw
09-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I would ask this question, does your car come equipped with Navigation? If so, VW may have an accessory option. VW offers a MDI retrofit kit that works with the RNS510 radios. We are just startind to see the RNS315's, but I believe it also works with them. Anyway, the part number is 5N0-057-342. It has a module that is hidden in the dash and a cable that stays in the glove box. They sell cables that work with MP3, iPods, USB or Mini-USB devices. NOt sure if that helps or not.

ahennessy1
09-11-2010, 09:03 PM
when mine comes early 2011 it will have the rns315, im looking at having the connection to my iphone in the centre armrest, would the cable stretch from here to the arm rest ?

bud@cfvw
09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
when mine comes early 2011 it will have the rns315, im looking at having the connection to my iphone in the centre armrest, would the cable stretch from here to the arm rest ?

No, this is al designed to go in the dash, so there would not be enough cable to go to the center console.
I know for sure you will need three things to do this mod, maybe more, so we will start with the basics.....

Harness from Radio to MDI (unknown number, looking for it)
MDI unit with control module 5N0-035-341-D
iPod adapter cable 000-051-446-C
The center console may have a different number, I know it did on the MKV cars, so I will see what I can find for that as well.

ahennessy1
27-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Right car is in the dealers for delivery 11th April , have ordered my tail pipes but would really like the mdi retrofit , seen some on flea bay but not a technical person who could fit this myself, have had a quote from the *********** on fitting one.

Has anyone had this retrofit or done it themselves or had someone fit it for them that they could recommend in either Manchester or Southampton area ?

Gregmeister
28-02-2011, 06:09 PM
There is a guy on ebay advertising retrofitting stuff like that and the prices he quotes on the auction dont seem to bad. Maybe worth pinging him a message. Only thing is I think he's based in 'the toon' (Newcastle)

ahennessy1
01-03-2011, 10:52 PM
dont happen to have his ebay username do you so i can contact him on there ?

Gregmeister
02-03-2011, 08:56 AM
dont happen to have his ebay username do you so i can contact him on there ?
His username is omey_d_z

On his ebay advert, he specifically say that he does do the MDI installs.

I asked if he could also retrofit DAB but he said no :(

ahennessy1
02-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Cheers mate I found him last night he can retrofit the mdi into my arm rest as per factory spec and not just some lead taking up room in glove box which is an added bonus. Very happy man indeed, roll on April 11th when I can get my hands on the car and get mdi and some drls fitted.

He is very competitive on price too and dealership would not fit the mdi in the arm rest only the glovebox option

Gregmeister
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Cheers mate I found him last night he can retrofit the mdi into my arm rest as per factory spec and not just some lead taking up room in glove box which is an added bonus. Very happy man indeed, roll on April 11th when I can get my hands on the car and get mdi and some drls fitted.

He is very competitive on price too and dealership would not fit the mdi in the arm rest only the glovebox option

Hi mate, glad he could help you out. Just one point witht the MDI being in the glovebox, it's actually in a little fold-down flap that sits above the glove box, rahter than actually being inside the glove box itself. The flap has room for an ipod/MP3 player and folds up into the dash out of the way when not required. It's not as bad a system as you may first think :)

hartry
03-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Hi mate, glad he could help you out. Just one point witht the MDI being in the glovebox, it's actually in a little fold-down flap that sits above the glove box, rahter than actually being inside the glove box itself. The flap has room for an ipod/MP3 player and folds up into the dash out of the way when not required. It's not as bad a system as you may first think :)

But then you have to keep the manual etc. in the glovebox itself!