PDA

View Full Version : Water in footwell

macman1
04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I thought I should tell everyone my own experiences about problems with water in the passenger foot well..

I was getting the usual misted windscreen and condensation in my Audi A4 b5 TDI. I thought that maybe my head gasket had gone after a hose split and spilled the coolant all over the road. After repairing the hose and topping up, water was then coming into the cabin. Previously on a car with a failing head gasket the hoses and heater matrix had been early indicators that the head was indeed on its way out.

I took apart my glove box and the bottom half of the heater chamber fan housing and made sure the expansion tank was full. I started the car and ran it hot with the heating on hi. No water was escaping or dripping anywhere.

I then put a running hose on the windscreen and water did indeed start entering the cabin. The fault lay in the bad repositioning of the 'drip tray' next to the battery, so the water running off the windscreen was running down past the seal and into the car. After refitting the tray and sealing with silicone the cabin is starting to dry. The carpet and sponge sound proofing is very thick though and at this time of year it may take some time before the cabin is back to being completely dry again.

I hope this helps someone else, even if it was long winded!!;)