PDA

View Full Version : Question over sensitive auto lights

tinnytsi
03-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Hi all.
I've got a 2010 golf plus SE tsi which seems to switch the auto headlights on when a cloud passes in front of the sun. They also flick on under the shortest of bridges and drivers coming the other way think I'm flashing them. It's a real pain so I usually leave them turned to manual ( but the wife likes them on auto )

I've spoken to my dealer, he says the lux levels are not setable in software but fixed.

Can anyone confirm this is correct and does anyone else find these lights oversensitive.

Ta
Richard

Frelon
10-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I have a 2005 Golf Plus and whilst my sensor appears not to be as sensitive as yours, it is unpredictable! Indeed the headlights have been known to come on in certain conditions of sunlight!

When I first took delivery of my Golf I wrote to VW in Germany with some observations (positive and negative) and auto headlights was on the list (needless to say I got no reply!)

I commented that the driver was unaware as to whether the lights had switched on, or not, and suggested a warning light in the dash cluster to show that the headlights were on. At present the only way to tell if they are on is when you come up behind someone and you can see the headlights shining on their bumper!

So overall the auto headlight option is not as smart as it should be!

tinnytsi
11-11-2010, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=Frelon;577657]
I commented that the driver was unaware as to whether the lights had switched on, or not, and suggested a warning light in the dash cluster to show that the headlights were on.

Thanks for that. I too feel that although there seem to warnings and lights everywhere but not necessarily where thy're needed. My Golf floods light all over the place when unlocked in the dark but the only place you really need a light is on the ignition key slot and that's in total darkness.. I think it's called style over substance.

Crasher
11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
When I was trawling through the long coding on a Golf 5 the other day I think I remember seeing an adjustment value for the auto light sensitivity.

Issac Hunt
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
In address #9 Central Electronics it can be adjusted

Crasher
11-11-2010, 02:14 PM
That’s in adaptation then, must be there that I noticed it; I was trying to alter the way the fog light output works as a DRL function.

Frelon
13-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Crasher

Were you successful in adapting the fog lights to run as DRLs?

Crasher
15-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Yes, very successful. I fitted Audi S6 DRLs into the lower grills (that was time consuming and delicate work) and then wired up both power terminals on the DRLs together and ran a harness into the car. I earthed the DRL's under the dash and then ran left and right to the respective left and right fog light outputs at the central electrics unit using crimp terminals into the factory plugs, looks neat! Then I adapted the CE unit to run the lights with the ignition on and then cut out as soon as the lights came on either by auto or manual selection, quite cool.