PDA

View Full Version : Service interval display

darich
03-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I just had the car serviced by a local indy and now have no distance showing on my "time/distance to next service" indicator. Both time and miles show "-----".

Is it because the car has still to work out the time and distance (only driven around 10miles since service) or does it inly display when it reaches a certain mileage/time?

Thanks
D

stevo-dtm
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
yeah it usually takes a few miles to reset the service interval

darich
03-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I've no reason to doubt the car has been done properly - I was just wondering about the readings though.

kodkod.84
03-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Give it about 500 miles or so, the ECU is re-calculating the next interval based on your driving style

Monsieur
04-11-2010, 06:27 PM
According to the manual the car needs several hundred miles (500?) travelling so that the computer can work out your driving style and then will reset to when the next service is due.

crmason
05-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I just had mine serviced and can confirm what others had said. I thought it was a bit strange too displaying ---, but it kicked in after a few days.

manclad
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
According to the manual the car needs several hundred miles (500?) travelling so that the computer can work out your driving style and then will reset to when the next service is due.

Is the "next service due" set purely on your driving style over the 500 miles following the previous service, or is the recalculation ongoing?

darich
05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Is the "next service due" set purely on your driving style over the 500 miles following the previous service, or is the recalculation ongoing?

This is what I wasn't sure of.
On my previous car (BMW Z4) I drove out of the local dealer with the distance to service already working - it was working instantly.

Sounds like the Audi works slightly differently and the previous driving style is erased when the service computer is reset.

Issac Hunt
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
The calculation is on-going.

darich
05-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Seems odd that the car then needs another 500miles or so to calculate the next service.:confused:

manclad
05-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Seems odd that the car then needs another 500miles or so to calculate the next service.:confused:

Fully agree, I would have thought that the next service interval calculation would be similar to the one before the last service.

2.0TDISline
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
HI all,

I had the same questions when I bought my A4 and the garage (fontain) did a service for me. On picking it up there were just ------- they said it will take a few day's to work out when the next will be due. As it happens 3 day's later up it popped with 18,000 or 650 day's (ish). Also just had another service done with Fontain and exactly the same thing. Fontain say the car works out how your driving the number of miles your doing and average speed then works out when it's best to get it serviced again.
It's all normal. Car's a bit clever if you ask me. . . .