PDA

View Full Version : Spare Wheel for a Touran

toffee68
20-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi All, I'm new on here as I have just (yesterday) purchased a 1.9TDI Touran which so far I am very happy with. The one surprise that I had was the lack of a spare wheel (its a 7 seater). Does anyone know if you can buy a space saver spare for these? I could buy a full size but it would take up the entire luggage space when the back seats are used where as a space saver would at least leave some space for a bag or two of shopping...
Around town I suppose the repair kit would suffice but as we travel from Sussex to Scotland on a regular basis I'd much prefer to carry a spare of some sort on these long journey's

Any info wouldbe most appreciated.....

Cheers
R

Fourbears
20-06-2007, 04:59 PM
You've found the biggest compromise with a 7 seater Touran! You can get a spacesaver but it will have to go in the boot so you lose a seat. Or you can put it on a roof rack or in a roof box. If you look on www.clubtouran.net (http://www.clubtouran.net) there are quite a few threads about this. Only the factory 5 seater had a spare as an option. Another of VW's little tricks (like no rear speakers on the S!) to save money and increase profits.

toffee68
21-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the link Fourbears. I have just found a space saver on ebay that I am bidding for so hopefully will win that. I had never heard of cars not having a spare but after a bit of searching it seems that this is becoming quite common. Honda, Volvo and ford are doing the same for a start....

Fourbears
21-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Glad to be of help. Just make sure the one you're bidding on fits as it needs to be a 5 stud fitting. Best of luck!

toffee68
21-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Yep, have already asked the question of the seller as the picture on ebay doesnt show. The description says it will fit but want to confirm first... always best eh.
The only other thing with the car at the moment is that there is a "whistle" at low revs when going up and down the revs (IE not at constant revs) and I am wondering if this is the turbo or something else... ever heard yours whistle? Wife says she always thinks the police are coming as it sounds like one of the new sirens although its not that loud at all, just a wife with nag like hearing....

Fourbears
21-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I have to say no. Used to hear the turbo whistle on our old Sharan but only if the window was open (not very often as we had climate). If yours is under warranty then a visit to the ******* might well be best. If they're competent of course!

W55sty
23-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Ah, ha - just treading this same path - compounded by the fact that our Touran has 15" wheels (and most space savers are in any size BUT!).
I'm resigned to the fact that I'm placing all my faith in NOT getting a blow out or total wheel failiure whilst we are away (motoring in France) - afterall that's what modern recovery is for (?)

Whilst on the subject of draw backs....we recently had an absolute mare of a time when a bottle of milk leaked in the back of our 7 seater...not only did it soak the immediate area but (of course) the residue of 4 pints of semi-skimmed sank to the lowest part of the car (the wheel well) - necessitating the removal of the whole of supporting seat and bracket assembly to get to it (or for ever after smell it!). Needless to say we always (ALWAYS) carry milk and any liquids from the shopping in a plastic crate...never again!

The lack of rear speakers is a significant draw back - does anyone know if the standard 'upgrade' speakers from VW (iro £100!) will actually work with the standard stereo - or is it more expense to have to upgrade the stereo as well? (ours in the Touran 1.9 TDIs 105ps)

toffee68
24-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi there,
On the subject of the rear speakers you may find it a little more costly than simply fitting a couple of speakers... I asked the local ******* how much it would cost and he comes back with several differnt senarios, those being based on what is already installed in the car. It is possible that the car is already pre-wired for the rear kit and all you need are the speakers AND new door trims!!! BUT it is also possible that there is nothing pre installed and you would need to fit a new addition to the wiring harness, a new radio unit itself (as the one in the car does not have the required connections on the back) and also the speakers and door trims... This was the case for my car and the cost was over a £1000!!!!!! hence it was two sets of ear plugs for front seat occupants and turn up the volume for the kids in the back.....

On the spare wheel front I am still looking for a space saver too but have come to the conclusion that I'm no longer too worried about it. We decided to do a little survey and see how many instances of a tyre blowout we could see in a 2 week period and after 14 days of scanning every roadside we found a total of zero! Hence these days it seems that blow outs are not as common as I thought and the puncture repair thingy might be all thats needed..

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your Touran!

boomboomer
25-07-2007, 05:38 PM
The lack of rear speakers is a significant draw back - does anyone know if the standard 'upgrade' speakers from VW (iro £100!) will actually work with the standard stereo - or is it more expense to have to upgrade the stereo as well? (ours in the Touran 1.9 TDIs 105ps)

The upgrade price is only as a factory fitted option, which I went for, but means waiting an extra 8 weeks for the car to arrive. It's a bit of a mean trick by VW but you've always got to read the small print!

tourantog
30-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I added speakers to my 2004 touran rear, £25 from the local parts shop, the only tricky bit was getting the door skin off and theading the wire.
I was advised to make sure the head unit is off untill you connect all the wires to the back, then power it up and it will auto detect the new speakers and add a front - rear fader to the menu on the head unit. there is a thread on this site with good instructions somewhere.

tourantog
16-01-2010, 08:46 PM
I have 2 full size wheels with 3mm and 2.8mm tread on them if someone wants to give me £15 each they can have a spare, message me and I can contact you. they are in east yorks but I could meet m62 or crewe area during the week. I may never need the spare but it is reassuring to know it is in the boot, esspecialy if on the way to to a ferry etc.