PDA

View Full Version : Question Winter wheels and Tyres Again

hotbilly
02-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Hi,
I own an A4 2009 Tdie SE and I am thinking about a spare set of alloys with winter tyres as last year the car was useless in the snow. At present I have 225/50 R17 although the base model has 205/60 R16 . I have been quoted a price from TYREMEN for a set of 16" 205/60 alloys fitted with Vredestein Snowtrack 3 for £675 which seems like a good deal. Would these be O.K. to fit instead of the 17" wheels which are much more expensive.
Any advice welcome!!

Thanks

Geordie Amanda
02-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi,
I own an A4 2009 Tdie SE and I am thinking about a spare set of alloys with winter tyres as last year the car was useless in the snow. At present I have 225/50 R17 although the base model has 205/60 R16 . I have been quoted a price from TYREMEN for a set of 16" 205/60 alloys fitted with Vredestein Snowtrack 3 for £675 which seems like a good deal. Would these be O.K. to fit instead of the 17" wheels which are much more expensive.
Any advice welcome!!

Thanks

I had Snowtrac 2s on my Sedici and they are superb. But are the Snowtrac 3s rated at high enough speed for your A4. I looked into Winter tyres for my A4 and my insurance company didn’t want me to change my wheel size and insisted that I had appropriate speed rated tyres. So in the end I ordered some Vredestein Wintrac Extremes (W rated I think)

robtt09
03-11-2010, 09:43 AM
My wife has "all year" tyres on front wheels of her car .Never got stuck once last winter in rural North Yorkshire.Suggest you get some on the front wheels they should be sufficient for your purposes. The "winter" tyres are a step up again but wear issues and the hassle of changing them winter to summer put us off

vwawudi
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
You guys have got me worried now. I never thought about winter tyres when I had my Mark IV Golf!

I hope this dream A4 doesn't require them as I'm loathe to spend so much moolah! :D

Geordie Amanda
03-11-2010, 06:17 PM
I wouldn’t worry about them too much if you haven’t had a problem before. I drive fairly high miles every year and often through the night in the middle of nowhere (Scotland and Wales in fairly desolate places for instance) and it was only a couple of years ago that I discovered winter tyres. They are really good in adverse weather, being much safer in slush, heavy cold rain, obviously snow and even on ice (well much better than standard on ice :D). The way I look at it is I don’t want to be stuck in my car at 3 in the morning having slid off the road as I was perhaps a little tired and not fully aware of the road conditions (If I was aware I was tired I would obviously stop, but in the real world we often drive in a less than perfect state). Perhaps being female means I feel a little more vulnerable?

But as I will use the tyres for 3 winters they will be worn out at the end of this period, which I means I would have had to buy a set of tyres to cover that period anyway, it’s just I am buying a set in advance (if you see what I mean). So the only real cost is, I am buying a set of winter wheels and the depreciation on these wheels is probably the only ‘real world cost’ over the 3 year period. Also it means that if I can persuade the nice muscley chap over the road to help me get the wheel nuts undone, I can change over the wheels myself, further saving money (well hopefully I can bribe the guy to do the whole thing for me :D but I can change a wheel if I need to……assuming tight wheels nuts not being a problem :D ).

Just remember winter tyres aren't just for snow :)

c parnell
03-11-2010, 07:34 PM
just got 4 Marangoni winter tyres in size 225/50/17 from kwik-fit for £404 they could have done Continentals for £800 { let me think}. I also bought a set of A5 wheels for £300. So a lot less than Audi and no compromise in the looks department.
Clive

RickT
04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
You should not mix and match winter and summer tyres, ie on the fronts (even all seasons) as it upsets the balance of the car under braking etc.

hotbilly
04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the info about winter tyres from kwik Fit The tyres you mensioned are now £350 for a set of 4 fully fitted and for an extra £45 they will store your summer tyres till next year. Not sure if this includes fitting them back though.

Bill

paultheo
05-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Did they show you where they would store your wheels.... Not sure I trust anyone enough to store my wheels. Or am I getting paranoid in my old age!

certacito
09-11-2010, 06:26 PM
I have a 2010 Special Edition with the 19" wheels and 255/35 tyres which I know will be terrible when the snow arrives.

Looking at the thread about the Audi winter wheel & tyre 'offer' it looks like I can change to 17" wheels with 225/50 tyres which will give me an acceptable rolling radius. It also seems that this offer is no longer available.

I've already checked with Audi Insurance who confirmed with the underwritters that this 17" wheel tyre would be acceptable.

My question for you good people is where should I be looking for a set of compatible 17" alloys?

I can see lots of sites selling alloys and a few selling winter tyre/wheel combos but I'd rather buy a set of wheels and then find a better set of tyres. My big concern is making sure any 17" wheels I buy will be OK for the A4 (ET, stud diameter etc).

Any suggestions other than tyremen listed above?

Thanks.

perfekt_g
13-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I have a 2010 Special Edition with the 19" wheels and 255/35 tyres which I know will be terrible when the snow arrives.

Looking at the thread about the Audi winter wheel & tyre 'offer' it looks like I can change to 17" wheels with 225/50 tyres which will give me an acceptable rolling radius. It also seems that this offer is no longer available.

I've already checked with Audi Insurance who confirmed with the underwritters that this 17" wheel tyre would be acceptable.

My question for you good people is where should I be looking for a set of compatible 17" alloys?

I can see lots of sites selling alloys and a few selling winter tyre/wheel combos but I'd rather buy a set of wheels and then find a better set of tyres. My big concern is making sure any 17" wheels I buy will be OK for the A4 (ET, stud diameter etc).

Any suggestions other than tyremen listed above?

Thanks.

Try E-Bay for the wheels.

I just got my winter tires (Continental TS 830 P) which will be fitted on the original 18" wheels. So I am searching for some original or light wight 19" wheels for summer and E-Bay seems to have the best offers at the moment..

certacito
18-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Try E-Bay for the wheels.

I just got my winter tires (Continental TS 830 P) which will be fitted on the original 18" wheels. So I am searching for some original or light wight 19" wheels for summer and E-Bay seems to have the best offers at the moment..

I decided to go with the Audi deal, more expensive but a safer option for me with Audi Insurance covering the 'modification' as their Audi approved parts and also saves me finding the right stud/ET config.

thorodinson6
28-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Just taken delivery of 4 16" Audi steel wheels and 4 Nokian WRG2's all the way from lovely Germany. These only took 5 days to deliver and were around half the price all in of the Audi rip off.

The Nokian's are fantastic where the ESP would usually kick in and start spinning the wheels the traction provided is awesome. Check out youtube for some good examples.

The steels are authentic 7J 16's and have an RRP (incl VAT) from Audi of £59 Schrottfabrik from Aalen in Germany were only £130 with £8 P+P!!! These were quickly grabbed off ebay.

The performance from the A4 has been great.. Audi Customer services will always let owners down!!!!

hotbilly
29-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi,

What model is your car and what wheel size?
Was it a company on ebay where you bought them?

Thanks,

Bill

Bratty
29-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Just taken delivery of 4 16" Audi steel wheels and 4 Nokian WRG2's all the way from lovely Germany. These only took 5 days to deliver and were around half the price all in of the Audi rip off.

The Nokian's are fantastic where the ESP would usually kick in and start spinning the wheels the traction provided is awesome. Check out youtube for some good examples.

The steels are authentic 7J 16's and have an RRP (incl VAT) from Audi of £59 Schrottfabrik from Aalen in Germany were only £130 with £8 P+P!!! These were quickly grabbed off ebay.

The performance from the A4 has been great.. Audi Customer services will always let owners down!!!!

Quite a bargain there!!:beerchug:.

What I like is the name:D Schrottfabrik is literally translated "Salvage factory" and when you google there web-site http://www.schrottfabrik.de/ and then look at the Kontact section then!! I would worry (MULLET ALERT!!);).

Fact is if they are original then they will have accompanying paperwork (Tüv Gutachten/teilgutachten), ABE number OR a genuine stamp on the wheel with the part number, basically you are getting a wheel which has the correct ET,diameter and conforms to the specs laid down by AUDI for that vehicle.

Not knocking them seems like a good find!!, after all the speed ratings of the tyre will dictate the stresses on a wheel combo you should have no probs.

Dunk

thorodinson6
29-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey Bill et al,

these were for an A4 2008, 2.0 diesel. 17" down to 16" steels. 225 to 205/60/16 92H
http://www.schrottfabrik.de/ were great and they had plenty of steels for other vehicles I found them via ebay. They are the real deal (7J ET39- this is the design for the A4) original nuts also fit so no need to source the right size and setting.

I've always loved snow driving and i've been so disappointed in Audi for the lack of response from as the cars come with Bridgestone summer tyres. Last year Audi Glasgow told me it was my driving they even told me to start in 2nd- as if I didn't know ( i should have kept that Renault 5 after all)!! and then chains were illegal!! What???

My advice go narrower with the tyre and get a good brand of tyre (good old mytyres.co.uk for reviews) or try snow socks for a get out of dodge. Also check out the Nokian vids on youtube oh and the ice racing !

vwawudi
30-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Hey Bill et al,

these were for an A4 2008, 2.0 diesel. 17" down to 16" steels. 225 to 205/60/16 92H
http://www.schrottfabrik.de/ were great and they had plenty of steels for other vehicles I found them via ebay. They are the real deal (7J ET39- this is the design for the A4) original nuts also fit so no need to source the right size and setting.

I've always loved snow driving and i've been so disappointed in Audi for the lack of response from as the cars come with Bridgestone summer tyres. Last year Audi Glasgow told me it was my driving they even told me to start in 2nd- as if I didn't know ( i should have kept that Renault 5 after all)!! and then chains were illegal!! What???

My advice go narrower with the tyre and get a good brand of tyre (good old mytyres.co.uk for reviews) or try snow socks for a get out of dodge. Also check out the Nokian vids on youtube oh and the ice racing !

Are the snow socks anygood?

thorodinson6
30-11-2010, 02:30 PM
The socks are a short term solution. They're not made for long journeys and have a low speed limit.

Socks will help you get out of deep trouble. However I would reccommed the winter narrow tyres.

Keep safe!
If you can't get winter tyres try Falken all weather but try and go narrow.

vwawudi
30-11-2010, 02:31 PM
The socks are a short term solution. They're not made for long journeys and have a low speed limit.

Socks will help you get out of deep trouble. However I would reccommed the winter narrow tyres.

Keep safe!
If you can't get winter tyres try Falken all weather but try and go narrow.

Thanks. What's the rationale behind getting narrower tyres?

NickPicks
30-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks. What's the rationale behind getting narrower tyres?

They bite down through the snow / slush more than wide tyres which just spread the weight out over it and float on top.

thorodinson6
30-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Like Nick says the narrow tyres help cut into the snow. I know of an X5 which slid across a road due to being parked on snow as the tyres were sooooo wide.

dan172
06-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Pressure (downward, of the tire contact area) = Force (N, car weight) / Area (m2)

Bratty
06-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Is that why you do not see many people riding elephants to work in the winter?;)

Dunk

vwawudi
07-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Winter Tyres sold out in most places! Prices pushed right up when you can find them!

Online outlets asking you to call them when you spec winter tyres in the search box because 'prices can change at short notice' - code for we can jack them up swiftly when the phone rings more than 4 times in the hour!

Rant over. How's everyone doing? At home today so decided to hunt down proper tyres.

Bratty
07-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Saw on another website that someone had ordered tyres from Germany (Reifen.com (which has the choice of English on the webpage) and was only charged 5 Euro postage per unit!

BUT!! If you do try and order from them (or any other EU tyre seller) MAKE!!!!! SURE!!!!! that they are in stock and READY FOR SHIPPING or you will spend ages waiting and waiting!

Dunk

vwawudi
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Saw on another website that someone had ordered tyres from Germany (Reifen.com (which has the choice of English on the webpage) and was only charged 5 Euro postage per unit!

BUT!! If you do try and order from them (or any other EU tyre seller) MAKE!!!!! SURE!!!!! that they are in stock and READY FOR SHIPPING or you will spend ages waiting and waiting!

Dunk

Been trying reifen.com for 2 days now. Problem preventing a complete search. Fired off an email and now waiting for a reply. Not even been able to see what their prices are for steels.

Their alloy prices are amazing IMHO! They give the TUV certificate for EVERY item. Useful for insurance purposes.

Impressive, these Germans.

vwawudi
08-12-2010, 07:20 PM
As above, maybe it's a communication issue but not a good experience when finally able to get through to them. Difficult to get my point across and practically hounded off the phone. Maybe it's the stress that we poor planners have put them through.

In anycase, many winter tyres are out of stock.

Finally got a clear answer from Audi - no steel rims for the B8. mytyres say they have them but couldn't get through to the lady that I was after steel rims and didn't want to order something that was not in stock.

It seems I'm now gonna have to source either winter tyres in 245/45/R17 and fit them to my current wheels or get another set of alloys and fit 225/50/R17.

Thinking of getting all-weather tyres too but the roads here are so bad I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go all out and fit the winters....

Bratty
10-12-2010, 11:18 AM
These people seem reasonably priced for winter Tyre/steel combos

http://www2.kfzteile24-shop.de/index.php?NAV=sartikel&sNummer=854&sID=189&sFeld=Ebene_6

You would have to factor in postage though.

Dunk

Bratty
10-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Do not forget "New Bolts", most steel wheels use bolts that are "Cone" shaped (kegelform) whereas Alloys use "Rounded" form (Kugelform), (on the contact area of the wheelnut). They are normally supplied (if not then they are for sale sometime on the same web-page at the end!)

Dunk

mctintin
10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Got my self a set of wheels from Rochford tyres(alloywheels.com) £272 17" and Dunlop SP Winter sport 3d tyres 225/50/17 from Mytyres.co.uk for £586 fitted.

Just a point of note for anyone buying spare wheels. Rochford supplied the correct spigot rings(the rings that go over the hub to make a snug fit into the alloy for the Audi, another car accessory shop confirmed the same information. However, wether it is my car the correct size need was not the 57.1mm but actually 66.5mm. (A4 Avant 2.0 tdi SE Executive)

Even more typical got the tyres yesterday as the snow started to thaw. Roll on the next flurries!!

vwawudi
10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Got my self a set of wheels from Rochford tyres(alloywheels.com) £272 17" and Dunlop SP Winter sport 3d tyres 225/50/17 from Mytyres.co.uk for £586 fitted.

Just a point of note for anyone buying spare wheels. Rochford supplied the correct spigot rings(the rings that go over the hub to make a snug fit into the alloy for the Audi, another car accessory shop confirmed the same information. However, wether it is my car the correct size need was not the 57.1mm but actually 66.5mm. (A4 Avant 2.0 tdi SE Executive)

Even more typical got the tyres yesterday as the snow started to thaw. Roll on the next flurries!!

That's a fantastic price. It's now £257.30 each! When did you order? Did you phone to confirm stock levels? Thanks for any info cos I'm not sure what they have in stock and their prices oscillate more than a libdem politician!

mctintin
10-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Ordered them on Saturday the 27th of November. I phoned them first to confirm the status, then bought them off the website, weren't the best to deal with. It took them until the Wednesday to confirm the order. They were delivered in about a week from Germany.

I guess it was quite, fortunate living in the North of Scotland where the snow hit about 2 and a half weeks ago.

vwawudi
11-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Guys, is a tyre with DOT 2007 a good buy? Not too old? Thanks.

21stCentury
11-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I just managed to get 4 Continental Winter Contacts (245/40 R18 97W) for my S-line form Tyres 4 Less in Leeds. Not cheap at £205 (incl. VAT) but better than the £265 that MyTyres were asking for Goodyears. They had 12 left in stock when I left.

theskyfox
12-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Maybe this could be a sticky as I think its fairly useful...but I came across an article yesterday on the BBC news to do with Winter wheels and tyres.

Quote:

"
Winter tyres should be much safer in the snow, but some insurers have been counting them as a modification to the manufacturer's specifications.
The Association of British Insurers (ABI) says that is a mistake and premiums should not be higher."

So true. Ill post the link below for those that are interested...but I think its important to see here that you shouldnt be paying extra on your insurance for winter tyres at all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11969958

-Andrew

vwawudi
12-12-2010, 01:22 AM
I just managed to get 4 Continental Winter Contacts (245/40 R18 97W) for my S-line form Tyres 4 Less in Leeds. Not cheap at £205 (incl. VAT) but better than the £265 that MyTyres were asking for Goodyears. They had 12 left in stock when I left.

In my preferred size, they only have 'Minerva Tyres'; apparently from Russia - not inspiring when the salesman is unsure where they're from!

ScottyUK
12-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm aware of one set at an Audi dealer in East Anglia if anyone needs winter tyres.

£1140 inc VAT

£45 will cover the first fitting, wash and health check and they'll offer free all year round dry storage for your summer/winter wheels.

Gimme a shout if interested.

nickhx
14-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi,

Managed to get myself some Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds 225/55 R16 from Germany including 7J x 16 rims and had them fitted today to my Audi A4 B8.

Just wondering what the appropriate PSI would be for the front and back tyres? Or do I simply follow the PSI inflation recommendations on the drivers door?

Cheers
Nick

vwawudi
14-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi,

Managed to get myself some Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds 225/55 R16 from Germany including 7J x 16 rims and had them fitted today to my Audi A4 B8.

Just wondering what the appropriate PSI would be for the front and back tyres? Or do I simply follow the PSI inflation recommendations on the drivers door?

Cheers
Nick

Nice one!

How did you manage that?

Got some genuine Audi 7.5Jx17 alloys and now waiting for tyres (225/50/17).
I'd have liked 7Jx16 and narrower tyres but I'll see how things go.

certacito
14-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi,

Cheers
Nick

I asked the dealer when I got my Dunlops fitted last weekend, he went to find the 'tyre expert' who in turn advised me that they should be:-

Front 32 Psi
Rear 30 Psi

Anyone advised differently?

nickhx
15-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I asked the dealer when I got my Dunlops fitted last weekend, he went to find the 'tyre expert' who in turn advised me that they should be:-

Front 32 Psi
Rear 30 Psi

Anyone advised differently?

Thanks! Have inflated mine per that recommendation today. The only other bit of info I need to find out now is at what average temperature should I consider reinstating my summer tyres. I'm thinking around 10C at the moment, so maybe late February early March here in Ireland.

Bratty
15-12-2010, 10:37 AM
In Germany the general rule is under 6-7 Degrees which is late October/November to Late Feb/March.

There are always exceptions, but as the Winter tyre compound, enhance wet weather braking would you not be better keeping them on all year in Ireland;).

Dunk

richy191
15-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi,

What model is your car and what wheel size?
Was it a company on ebay where you bought them?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi, just bought original audi a4 b8 alloys with Pirelli Winter 210 Snowsport for Euro 400 on ebay.de. The sizes are 225/55/16 which seem to be the common size combination in germany. My original size is 225/50/17 (a4 2010). Luckily...i'm going to germany for X'mas and will collect them myself.

Used original audi alloy wheels and winters set is selling between euro 300 and 500 (talking about 205/60/16 or 225/55/16) on ebay.de.

I hope this helps.

Ps: the tyre are DOT 2508 and profile of between 6 and 7.5.

vwawudi
15-12-2010, 08:10 PM
eBay.de is a treasure trove of wheels and tyres! Pity I'd already bought my 7.5Jx17s or I'd be mining the site like crazy!

Lot's of very good offers. Saw a great one on 205/60/16 wheel and tyre but alas I'd already bought!

adrianwalker
18-12-2010, 12:03 PM

I accept that my P7 are not up to the job in the ice and snow, so I thinking about get a set of Continental Winter Contacts. Can I get away with just buying a pair for the front? Will mix and match be OK. What value are a 4 off P7 with 2000 miles on them?

SC03OTT
18-12-2010, 12:08 PM
It's not recommended to mix summer and winter tyres. So no, don't do it.

adrianwalker
18-12-2010, 01:08 PM
It's not recommended to mix summer and winter tyres. So no, don't do it.

OK, I will buy a complete set of 4. I live in the South and don't really want to have two sets of tyres (winter & summer). What's the best all season tyres to get that works well in the wet?

adrianwalker
19-12-2010, 02:20 PM
OK, I will buy a complete set of 4. I live in the South and don't really want to have two sets of tyres (winter & summer). What's the best all season tyres to get that works well in the wet?

After some hunting and feedback I have narrowed it down to the following all season tyres.

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - 245/40R18

or

VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 245/40R18

Anyone have either of the above fitted to their A4 or A4 Avant 2.0TDi?

21stCentury
19-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Can I get away with just buying a pair for the front?

What's the best all season tyres to get that works well in the wet?

Have a look at this, it might help you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtAm7RsTmE

ScottyUK
19-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Good video particularly with the winter tyres on the front only. It's for the same reason VAG always recommend the best tyres on the back. In this case you'll end up with more predictable/safer understeer.

xtremist
20-12-2010, 09:40 AM
After some hunting and feedback I have narrowed it down to the following all season tyres.

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - 245/40R18

or

VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 245/40R18

Anyone have either of the above fitted to their A4 or A4 Avant 2.0TDi?

But can you find anyone with any winter tyres ?

vwawudi
24-12-2010, 03:41 PM
After finally sourcing some Audi OEM alloys and a set of winter tyres, I'm so annoyed at myself for ballsing up the fitting.

Day off today and what do I do?, roll around in bed till 12noon and leisurely go to my local fitting place only for them to be shutting at 1pm!!!

Rang around but alas, they're all shutting early for Christmas and re-open on Tue/Wed when I'm back at work!

Dumb, dumb, dumb! I only hope we don't get any blizzards here over this long weekend!

Rant over.

ScottyUK
24-12-2010, 04:36 PM
But at least you gave us a chuckle ! :D

:beerchug:

vwawudi
24-12-2010, 05:02 PM
But at least you gave us a chuckle ! :D

:beerchug:

:biglaugh:

I'm laughing now but not 2hrs ago!

Have a very Merry Christmas all!

redbeard
24-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I've been very unpleasantly surprised by the handling of my car in the icy conditions.
Considering it's a Quattro I've had quite a few hairy moments even when driving very slowly on the side roads, honestly worse than any front wheel drive car I've owned. I've just changed the tyres. Winter tyres weren't available for the 19" wheels so I've had Pirelli P Zeros fitted. My fronts were between 3 and 4mm the rears around 5mm, so not excessively worn.
I just wondered if any other quattro owners have similar experiences and also if anyone else has had the P-Zeros and can give me their opinion of these tyres when compared with the standard Continental Sport Contacts.

ScottyUK
25-12-2010, 01:23 AM
I've been very unpleasantly surprised by the handling of my car in the icy conditions.
Considering it's a Quattro I've had quite a few hairy moments even when driving very slowly on the side roads, honestly worse than any front wheel drive car I've owned.

I've got 19's and they're too big for these conditions. Many cars are now shod with tyres too big .... but they look good and work great when it's dry ;)

jonathon555
26-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Considering it's a Quattro I've had quite a few hairy moments even when driving very slowly on the side roads, honestly worse than any front wheel drive car I've owned. I've just changed the tyres. Winter tyres weren't available for the 19" wheels so I've had Pirelli P Zeros fitted. My fronts were between 3 and 4mm the rears around 5mm, so not excessively worn.
I just wondered if any other quattro owners have similar experiences and also if anyone else has had the P-Zeros and can give me their opinion of these tyres when compared with the standard Continental Sport Contacts.

My sline was so diabolical in the snow I had to fit snow Tyres, I have never had such little grip from a front wheel drive. The electronics are also pretty useless .

Snow Tyres are the only way forward IMO.

I had my car in 10 inches deep of fresh powdered snow on Xmas day no problems at all.

It could not cope with 2 inches before, without getting stuck

adrianwalker
26-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I've got 19's and they're too big for these conditions. Many cars are now shod with tyres too big .... but they look good and work great when it's dry ;)

Agreed. I suggest that you find some 16" steels and shod them with some winter tyres and keep the 19" for the summer.

ScottyUK
27-12-2010, 12:15 AM
I simply don't need to due to low mileage etc.

vwawudi
28-12-2010, 05:13 PM
My winter wheels saga continues, not fitted them yet (don't ask!).

Turned up to get them fitted to winter alloys and then to mycar but the fitter said that I shouldn't fit them as there's no snow and they would be wrecked in a month with the gritted roads in their current state. I was rather surprised as besides the snow, the low temp surely required them? He also said that they didn't need to be balanced immediately!!

Anyhoo, I saked him to go ahead and fit the tyres regardless of current weather conditions but alas, I had forgotten about the alloy wheel key!! Come to think of it, I don't think I got any key for the nuts!

ScottyUK
28-12-2010, 07:41 PM
The key is in with the tools (or at least should be).

Sounds like you're being fed b.s.

However the temps are certainy rising... but I doubt winter is over.

vwawudi
28-12-2010, 07:43 PM
The key is in with the tools (or at least should be).

Sounds like you're being fed b.s.

However the temps are certainy rising... but I doubt winter is over.

Agreed, one thing unclear though, which bit is more b.s? The balancing or the winter tyre bit? :biglaugh:

vwawudi
30-12-2010, 01:43 AM
225/50 Contis TS810 fitted! Bring on the snow (not really)! :biglaugh: :aargh4: :beerchug:

Bratty
30-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Vwawudi, If the Contis do not work try getting these fitted to your AUDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg

;)Dunk

vwawudi
30-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Vwawudi, If the Contis do not work try getting these fitted to your AUDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg

;)Dunk

:biglaugh:
Looks like something from a Bond movie!

dan172
03-01-2011, 11:18 PM

I still have my original P-Zero tyres on the 19's. I have been careful in the snow and ice and have been able to reverse up the snowy drive with them on ,but, I have had the car sliding in all directions at other times. Quattro or no Quattro those P-Zeros are poor in the snow, having said that they aren't designed for those conditions so it is a little unfair to slate them IMHO...

I don't think we have seen the back of Winter yet either. So time for some 17's instead?

theskyfox
04-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I still have my original P-Zero tyres on the 19's. I have been careful in the snow and ice and have been able to reverse up the snowy drive with them on ,but, I have had the car sliding in all directions at other times. Quattro or no Quattro those P-Zeros are poor in the snow, having said that they aren't designed for those conditions so it is a little unfair to slate them IMHO...

I don't think we have seen the back of Winter yet either. So time for some 17's instead?

Agreed. Ive got a set of P-zeros and theyre fantastic in the summer, really grip the road well...but in the winter they're less than useless. I've changed my wheels over, and got the P-zeros in the shed right now...but like you say, most summer tyres will be fairly useless in the winter. The only thing I can think of as worse has to be Pzeros on a rear wheel drive in the snow >_<.

vwawudi
15-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Been snowing again in Scotland! I've got to say, there is a confidence that having winter tyres gives you. No real fear of getting stuck.
Could be purely psychological but the confidence sure is priceless!

Big Bird
15-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I came home from Glasgow around 2am on Monday morning- heavy snow, all cars crawling in lane one, but not me!! Normal tyres and quattro saw me blitz home easily in lane 2. My wife slept through it all (probably just as well.......).;)