delta925
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I have checked a couple of sites and found

H rated tyres are suitable upto 131mph.
V rated tyres are suitable upto 149mph.
W rated tyres are suitable upto 168mph.

Looking here
http://www.malaysiaminilover.com/audi-a4-performance

My 1.9 tdi 115PS has a quoted maximum speed of 124mph.

A 2.8 V6 30V petrol has a quoted maximum speed of 149mph
A 1.8T petrol petrol has a quoted maximum speed of 144mph

I can understand why W rated tyres are specified in the manual to cover all models.

Provided the load rating of 91 is the same is there any reason why I can not fit V rated tyres of the same size (205/55/16) since they are rated 25mph above the theoretical maximum speed of my model, not to mention the UK legal limit of 70mph.

In particular would a fastidious MOT tester have any reason to issue a fail if two V rated and 2 W rated tyres were fitted?

Quattros
01-11-2010, 10:28 PM
no problem at all. often you pay more for the load and speed rating, as you have just said why have 200mph rated when only need upto 125?

as long as the tyres are same size on the same axel i.e same size on front, and same size on back, above 1.6mm tread over 3/4 of the entire tread, no cuts or bulges to sidewalls, then cant be failed.

hope this helps.

delta925
02-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

All tyres would be the same size and load rating and matched front and rear.
The front pair would be the new V ones and the rear a pair of different brand/model W rated, and the spare this brand/model too.

In an emergency if a front was punctured yes I would temporarily have one V and one W rated of different brands.
Even then as I understand while not advised due to different characteristics particularly on hard braking not actually illegal.