PDA

View Full Version : A6 1.9 TDI - Oil in the intake - Help????

mrcheeezy
19-06-2007, 08:57 PM
I am relatively new to Audi and love my A6 1.9 TDI 2003 - goes like a dream.

However, I recently cleaned out the recirculation valve as it looked pretty sooty and was venting from the top (2 holes either side of the valve). It was badly sootted and oily and took a great deal of cleaning. cleaned all the intake pipe-work and put it all back together. Works fine and no sooty/oily venting. However, I have noticed oil dripping from the one of the joints and took apart to look. There is oil in the intake pipework that I presume has come from the breather - is this normal.

Ran the car with the breather disconnected and there is a lot of bypass gas which I guess is throwing some oil through with it - is the engine on its way out? - It’s only done 100k (full Audi SH) and sailed through its latest MOT emissions test. Also it doesn’t burn any oil - I'm just a bit worried re the state of the engine now - :confused: -Help!!!!

a8 tech
19-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Dont panic,there can be up to 1 litre of oil in the intake pipes/intercooler and this is normal.Over time the oil builds upin the intercooler and due to the pressure of the turbo oil is pushed around the system and the joints at the pipe connectors move when under boost and oil sepage occurs.If you are concerned about this remove the inter cooler and pipes and drain them off but there is no fault as such and its acceptable for the oil to be there.Regards Jon

mrcheeezy
19-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the quick response - will give it a good clean out. I still have concerns over the amount of bypass gasses is there no oil separator to keep the oil back?

Also, no joy resolving my hot start issue in my other thread- have changed the coolant temp sensor but still same problem. Imobiliser?

a8 tech
19-06-2007, 09:46 PM
There is a breather on top of the rocker cover and this will act as a seperator.The oil in the pipes is within v.a.g spec and they have no problem ruuning there pd engines like this,but if your unaware of this it can be alarming.