PDA

View Full Version : Diesel "Misfire"?

WeegieBob
31-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Guys,

I've been experiencing on and off over the last few months an odd issue in that when I've been on a longish drive on fast road or motorway (say 10 miles) and have to stop at a junction or lights right after slowing down my diesel GT feels like it misfires for a moment.

If you were driving a petrol engined car that's exactly what you'd say it was, a misfire - it shudders for a fraction of a second like a spark plug has stopped firing, the engine revs drop right down, but then it picks up again almost immediately never to happen the rest of the journey.

It doesn't happen every time, but its very disconcerting having the engine feel as though its about to stall in a line of traffic - is this a known issue, or has anybody else experienced this problem and taken their car to the dealers?

WeegieBob. ;)

Keithuk
31-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Well thats the first time anyone knows what you drive a GT, is it a secret? Add it to your sig.

Well I've only read one thread on here talking about a stumble/misfire with the diesel. That only happend when they drove over a hump/hump backed bridge, do a search.

Now with todays hi tech diesels its hard to speculate what the problem can be, too many gadgets and gizmos. You may as well take it back and get it checked out while its under warranty. You say this has happened over the past few months, how many times and does it happen in the same driving situation as you've suggested?

As I've suggested to other members here a great site for TDI's is http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/ you could always ask on there after you've made an intro. ;)

WeegieBob
31-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks Keith - I'll venture over to "myturbodiesel" and have a read.

And thanks for the suggestion to search for the thread about a "stumble/misfire with the diesel", but being the one who originated that thread I know this is different.

As for driving a GT - no, its not a secret, its just not that important to me to say so. Is it a rule here on this web site?

WeegieBob. ;)

Keithuk
31-10-2010, 03:07 PM
No there is no rule it just seems obvious that most users on here do it. It saves users asking ok so which model do you drive with this problem. Luckly you've said GT here but others don't. We don't know the year or what extras you have. ;)

WeegieBob
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Went into my local VW dealers this morning and spent the next hour with a mechanic tring to replicate the problem, which to be honest I wasn't confident it would appear. The time wasn't wasted however as it turned out the mechanic owned Hillman Imps (remember them!) and with me being a transport museum researcher we chatted about his experiences with them the whole time we were out. :)

In the end up we agreed it would have to go into the shop for a diagnostic check, so that's it booked in for next Monday for at least three days so that if the computer doesn't detect anything they have time to attempt to replicate the "misfire".

Ordered a courtesy car - I'm still wondering why my mate at service reception fell about laughing when I asked if they could find me a silver Phaeton as I'm not that keen on the black. :rolleyes:

WeegieBob.