PDA

View Full Version : Damm rainwater!

gareths quattro
31-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Hey all!

Does anyone else here find rainwater in the boot lid? Sometimes when i open the boot i can hear water moving about. so what i then have to do is remove the two black plugs on the bottom of the boot lid, tilt the boot up slightly and then watch the water pour out. THen have to give the boot a wiggle to get it all out. Wonder if i should leave the two black rectangular plugs out?

Many thanks in advance!

Ben
31-10-2010, 11:50 AM
i've not heard of this before. I've had my tailgate trim totally removed to fit some bits, and it wasn't obvious how any water could get in.

Primary suspect is the water supply pipe to the rear wash has come off and is filling the tailgate for you.

gareths quattro
31-10-2010, 01:10 PM
I have the saloon so don't have a rear wash. I've looked and looked, and really cant work out how the water's getting in. Only answer i can think of is water is running down the back window, over the black boot lid seal and then seaping into the material on the boot. Seems like a lot of water though!
thanks for your response mate!

Roonster
01-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I was showing my recently purchased B7 saloon to one of my mates and he directed me to the very drain plugs you mentioned, He said it was a common problem for dirt and leaves to block these drains and water to accumulate inside the tailgate. On extreme cases, there can be enough water inside to stop the boot lifting on its own when you have remote popped it.

gareths quattro
01-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Yes, it's incredible how much water collects inside the tailgate!! I'm tempted to leave the drain plugs out!

Just thinking... if water fills the tailgate, then emptied, then fills again... there's a chance the tailgate will rust prematurely surely.