PDA

View Full Version : mk3 golf electric window problems

Dan IOW
19-06-2007, 07:10 PM
hi i was just wondering if anyone new anything about electric windows on my mk3 golf gti(1995). the drivers side switch will put the passenger side window down but not up and dosn't do anything to the drivers side window. i have put a brand new switch in it and changed the drivers side window unit inside the drivers door but still it is exactly the same. if anyone could suggest anything please let me know because i havn't got a clue thanks dan iow

a8 tech
19-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Check you have 12 volts at the motor.There may be a broken wire in the a pillar.This is where the wiring loom runs out of the door and into the car and the wires can break.Also the regulator may have failed so the motor cant turn.An old way of testing without any fuss is to operate the button and watch the interior light,if it dims then the motor is consuming voltage and therefore you can assume that the motor is reciving voltage and the regulator has failed.

27motorhead
20-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Dan!

Broken wire sounds like the most obvious cause to me. My MK3 did the same. I quickly checked the wiring around the bulkhead / pillar / door area and all seemed ok and after getting a replacement switch it still never worked.

BUT on checking very carefully there was a break in the wiring! And in fact other wires didn't look too good either so I soldered and heat shrunk to repair.

Check carefully is all I can say!

And I sold the no longer required switch on eBay for more money than I paid for it :)

Ta!

Tim

Dan IOW
20-06-2007, 07:49 AM
thanks i will have a look at the wiring this evening and let you know

adbutt
20-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a similar problem with these damn windows :

All electric windows work apart from the drivers window, very annoying.
After looking over the many posts on the subject I have come to the conclusion that it is either dodgy wiring/switch or the damn regulator.
This is what I have done so far :
Checked the wiring between door and body : resulted in my re-connecting 2 wires (black & red, thick brown) as they had snapped. This solved the passenger side window, so I can now power the passenger side window from drivers switch.
Used the key in both drivers side and passenger side doors : all windows go up and down except for the drivers window.
Tested the switch with the internal light: the light didnt dim when i pressed the drivers side switch, but did when i pressed the passenger window switch.
Can one of you great people advise what to do next please??
Ps its a 1997 Golf Gti
:zx11:

a8 tech
20-06-2007, 09:09 PM
The two wires you have repaired are the earth and 12 volt feed.If these wires are 12 volt at the motor press the switch(if you know the switch to be good) and the voltage should drop,if so the motor is defective and possible regulator also

adbutt
20-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks a8 tech.. I assume from your response that I need to rip the door panel off?
I am not sure whether the switch is good, just praying it isnt the regulator

Ad

a8 tech
20-06-2007, 09:24 PM
off she comes

MD01
26-06-2007, 07:37 PM
All, I just love the internet and forums like this. Just sorted a problem - 12V wire broken between body and door - and window working fine. Free!

It's helpful diagnostic tips like the light dimming - they don't tell you that at the dealership!

Cheers

Mike

:D

a8 tech
26-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Well thats a good result.You will only get that info from old heads,well iam 35 and feel like a grandad in the workshop i work in.

AliD
24-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Hi all, just bought a neglected 1992 VR6 as a project. Having problems with passenger window. Couldn't see break in wires or dimming in light so took motor out. Is there anyway of hot wiring it direct to battery to see if motor works. I'm new to this. I don't even know which fuse yo check. Mk2's much easier ;-)