PDA

View Full Version : Hatch Clatter

Berisford
30-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I've an annoying resonance / vibration / pulsating noise coming from somewhere. Very difficult to locate or pinpoint as it's in the melee with the road and wind noise. It does seem to be exterior and low down, can't say why I think that, but it does.

Anyway, this a.m. I was tinkering with the rear child fixing stuff and thinking how lightweight the rear doors feel, anyone else noticed?

Well, when closed they (rear doors) don't feel properly closed, tugging at the handle results in quite a bit of 'play' and noise in the latch. I know they can be adjusted but another day.

I turned my attention to the hatch and found when I close it (not slam) there is a right old clatter from either inside the hatch or (I suspect) behind the rear bumper. This noise put me in mind of the annoying resonance I'm getting whilst motoring, could be something adrift I wonder?

Anyone else got a clatter when closing their hatch?

BJ, Nottingham, 1.6 Match.

VolksGolf
30-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Have the same and i spotted it when i picked the car up - Close the boot and then there's a rattle for a second. Salesman showed me other golf s in the showroom did the same

Keithuk
30-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Well you have two options. Adjust the hatch yourself or take it back to the dealer to be adjusted? ;)

Berisford
30-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Have the same and i spotted it when i picked the car up - Close the boot and then there's a rattle for a second. Salesman showed me other golf s in the showroom did the same

Interesting..............hmmmm.............if they all do I don't think I'll get far with the dealer and the last thing I want is some grease monkey pulling the trim off, possibly making it worse.

Keithuk
30-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Mine doesn't. ;)

Gerryf
30-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi Berisford, a good start may be to remove the strings that lift the hatch cover.....remove 'em from the hatch lid and tie them up tight so that those annoying balls are prevented from dangling.

I could be way off beam.....but worth a try none the less.

Good luck

Berisford
30-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Nah,....I've tried that Gerryf, even though I knew it couldn't be them it was worth a punt.

No, the noise is without doubt something metal (or onto metal) unclipped or adrift that flexes in the closing impact.

As I said earlier it could well be behind the bumper 'cause if a give it a slap I can recreate a similar noise. I don't like hitting it too hard as it don't feel that strong/thick!

It needs more investigation, I'll see later this week.

I'm cheered yet saddened by what VolksGolf had to say, if his and indeed those in the showroom did/does the same, it would appear the very latest models are prone. VW cost cutting maybe? You know what they say, a 10cent€ clip x 1000's = more profit! :(

Keithuk
30-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Off Topic:

Sorry Berisford I see you have Golf Match 1.6TDI Bluemotion Tech DSG 2011 on the myturbodiesel forum but I don't see anything on here. You could add your spec to your signature like most users do on here then users shouldn't need to ask. ;)

VolksGolf
31-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Berisford,

Mine, at the moment (touch wood!) doesn't cause any disruption whilst driving but if you do get it investigated and a problem is found then please do post on here as I'm sure there will be a few of us with the same.

The sound, I hear, is when you close the boot and there is a clatter/rattle. It seems to be coming from the lower bootlid as opposed to the bumper area.