PDA

View Full Version : No front fog lights

Harry2
27-10-2010, 01:47 PM
HI all
My new golf has just arrived in the dealership a {1.4tsi match}.
I ordered the front fog nights as a extra and just got a phone call to say they have not been fitted and as goodwill gesture was offering the three year service pack plus a full tank of fuel
Whats the alternative or should I take up the offer

Berisford
27-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, hmmmm......on the up side, £250 for the service pack & £60 for the fuel, £310 plus you get the £200 odd back from the missing fogs.

Down side is they do look good on the Match.

I think in your situation I'd take the money, forcing 'em to fit the lamps could be troublesome.

zollaf
27-10-2010, 02:21 PM
front fog lights are about the most useless thing ever fitted to cars. they are illegal to use apart from in thick fog, where they dont really improve visibilty much anyway, so i think if it were me, i would say a big thankyou to the dealer and rip their arm off.

james_tiger_woo
27-10-2010, 02:43 PM
If I had a private car, I'd rather have the servicing - I'd check the mileage limit on that though...

The front fogs are nigh on useless - and don't get me started on the "directional" lights

VolksGolf
27-10-2010, 02:48 PM
If you wanted the car with fogs:approve:, then how do you feel having one without:o, for what ever reason :(
I know, I'd always be looking at it thinking, I wish I'd ........ :zx11:

Its not the car you ordered:mad:, so see what they can do about re-ordering the correct car:aargh4: and keeping you in maybe this one till then - worth a try:biglaugh:

Then again - are the fogs worth the hassle ??:confused:

SC03OTT
27-10-2010, 02:49 PM
front fog lights are about the most useless thing ever fitted to cars. they are illegal to use apart from in thick fog, where they dont really improve visibilty much anyway, so i think if it were me, i would say a big thankyou to the dealer and rip their arm off.

Couldn't agree more. The only thing front fogs are good for is for people to show off they don't drive then entry level model of their car.

Had them on my last car and they were an utter waste of time. The only reason I put them on was to get the back ones on, as they were on the next position on the stalk.

Harry2
27-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Cheers for the advice.
I`m going to take up their offer

Eshrules
27-10-2010, 03:41 PM
If you wanted the car with fogs, then how do you feel having one without, for what ever reason. I know, I'd always be looking at it thinking, I wish I'd ........

Its not the car you ordered, so see what they can do about re-ordering the correct car and keeping you in maybe this one till then - worth a try

Then again - are the fogs worth the hassle ??

<laughing>

I love your optimism bud.

The advise regards taking the money and running, is sound. Foglights = useless.

VolksGolf
27-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Well, If you don't ask then ........

SC03OTT
27-10-2010, 06:40 PM
A dealer isn't going to give you a car for you to put miles on that they then can't sell as brand new. As it stands, if the op rejected the car it can be sold as brand spankers with delivery mileage. And given the waiting times for a factory order, it wouldn't take long to shift it on.

microwork
27-10-2010, 08:10 PM
My golf also appeared with no fog lights but the dealer fitted them with no trouble at all - I do think the car looks better with them...

VolksGolf
27-10-2010, 08:15 PM
My idea was just wishful thinking. To get anything out of the dealers is like getting blood out of a stone.

Just so people don't think my previous post was with a realistic expectation, I shall now edit it to show smily faces, moving emoticons etc.

Steve_D
27-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Take the servicing/fuel. Apart from the fact they're practically useless, I'm fed up with people pointing at my 'directional' fog lights when maneuvering in the dark and saying "You've got a light not working mate". :aargh4:

microwork
27-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Yeah - I had that problem too with people saying I had a light out. When I had my car in for a service I asked the dude could he help... He was able to disable the directional fog lights - they only come on now when I physically switch them on.
I have started to notice directional fog lights on more and more cars now though. Merc's and Volvos are using this feature.

Keithuk
27-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes I don't think they much use as already mensioned, they are purely cosmetic. Well if the car isn't exactly what your ordered you can refuse it. If you decide to reorder again you will have to wait just as long again, is it worth the wait?

You would be better of having the service plan and a full tank of fuel. I asked to cost of a service when I ordered mine they said £150 at todays rate so I had that. While its under the 3 year warranty I thought they may as well service it for the £250 which covers you for 3 years or 30,000 mile. ;)

lucid
29-10-2010, 03:49 AM
I've got the fogs and use them, they're more like extra driving lights and provide extra visibility i find.

if it were me I would insist they retrofit them and get a loaner car while they do it and get the service plan thrown in as well for the inconvenience. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

mine arrived without centre armrest and MDI kit and got it retro fitted behind the glove box and an armrest fitted and usbs wired through. They kindly covered the labour for some other extras i decided to then get fitted (seat drawer and bluetooth) and got a loaner while all work was done.

percymon
29-10-2010, 09:40 AM
VW label them as fog lights and thats exactly what they are - they are NOT driving lights. If the traffic police in this country actually did something about incorrect use of lights and failed lights (i must have seen over 50 cars with defective lights already this week) we would be driving on much safer roads.

Now back on topic - i don't have fogs on the Golf, i think cars look better with them (my golf is a bit bland), but i don't really like the bling chrome rings VW insist on putting round them either.

I've used fog lights on other cars maybe twice a year, and they don't make that much difference anyway.

Hold out for them if you want them for the visual effect they have on the front of the car, but i wouldn't be bothered about them for their actual practical use.

microwork
29-10-2010, 06:04 PM
On the whole Fog Light thing - I dont even think that they are Fog Lights.... The plot thickens....

The ones fitted on Golfs are only 900 candleabras....

Offical fog lights are 1200 or above. Therefore you cant actually be done for using them by the cops in the wrong driving conditions.

I know you would look a real smart **** saying this to a traffic cop - but I think this is the truth. Although if I was pulled over for using them I think I would apologise and hope for the warning (not the fine!)

lucid
31-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I've had fog lights on cars for the past 25 years and these as i said act much more like driving lights despite what label VW care to put on them, it would be odd to use fogs as cornering lights as they do at the moment coming on automatically. And considering what microwork has posted i'll continue to use them as such when needed. The lenses are unlike the fogs i have previously had on other golfs and fords as is the area of the road they illuminate.