PDA

View Full Version : Polo Indicator Failure

oihiggsy
19-06-2007, 10:05 AM
The indicators on my 87 Polo have failed completely. Not even the 4-way flashers don't work. When the ignition is on and the indicator stalk or 4-way flasher switch are turned on the dashboard indicator light comes on and stays on until the stalk/switch is cancelled. I have checked the fuse and it's fine and I hve replaced the relay by the fuse box. I haven't replaced the flasher unit (mainly because I don't know where it is). I guess this is next. Any ideas?:1zhelp:

Flash2
19-06-2007, 07:45 PM
What relay did you replace? The only relay in the flasher circuit is the flasher unit.

You can identify the flasher unit because it usually only has 3 terminals. If you look at the base of the flasher unit it should be marked with the numbers 31, 49 and 49a. If you short the 49 and 49a terminals together on the relay carrier (using a bit of wire or a paper clip) then switch the flashers to left or right, the flasher lights should come on and stay on constant. If that happens, then the flasher unit is faulty.

Regards - Jim.

oihiggsy
19-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Jim

Thanks for your reply. The relay I replaced had 4 pins and was sat next to the fuse box. I cannot find the flasher relay although I'm told it sits behind the 4-way flasher switch on the dash. Can you confirm its location then I try your shorting solution to see if its faulty?

Rgds

oihiggsy
25-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Flasher relay located (behind the glove compartment, of course) and all lights that need to now blinking away!!