PDA

View Full Version : anti roll bar bushes

jacko2910
19-06-2007, 08:47 AM
can anybody tell me how to change the bushes

Lord Nelson
19-06-2007, 09:13 AM
with difficulty....i did mine a few weeks ago and the result was fantastic. one side took me 5 mins, the other side nearly an hour...this is because of being right handed and was easier to get at one side than the other. the process is in the Haynes Manual, but il post a bit later how i did it (wen i have a quiet patch at work. :biglaugh:

jacko2910
19-06-2007, 09:17 AM
thanks would apreciate that as i dont have a manual for this car yet

Lord Nelson
19-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Ok, to start with, you need to get the car on axle stands. both sides at once with both wheels off. then u need to separate the ARB linkages from the Wishbone...be careful not to damage the bolt or the threads in the wishbone....its probably better to release it from the ARB (i say this because from experience i have found it is very easy to damage the threads, when removing, or crossthread when replacing, resulting in a new wishbone, unless you are able to re-tap the threads).

So, with the rollbar free from the Wishbones it will only be held in place by the clips where the bushes are, and will rotate easily.
the old bushes are easy to get out....unscrew the clip retaining bolt (one per clip). you may need a screwdriver to prize the clip back as it will have stuck over time. If you dont need the new style clip, i advise u not to remove the clip but just to pivot it back enough for you to prize out the old bush...this should come out easily.

Now the hard part..........
with the new bush positioned on the rollbar next to the clip, you should be able to force it into place under the clip. Because the new bush will be a much tighter fit, it will be very difficult to get the clip re-alligned and the retaining bolt back in.
I found that the best way to do this was using a long strong screwdriver to use as leverage to get the clip in a position where the bolt can be screwed back in.
this will either be very easy or very frustrating, so be prepared...lol

when you have both sides done, re-attched the ARB links (would be best to lift the wishbone into place, and hold it, with a trolley jack so its easier to srew everything back together with no damage) and robert is you mum's brother!

Il warn you as well that if u have large hands, it will be more difficult to do as the working area is VERY tight. i ended up with plenty of cuts and scratches from it and i have small hands.

overall this job took me about an hour to do both sides....5 mins to do one side and the rest to do the other. but i can see why garages charge plenty of labour for the job.

hope this helps. il try remember to post the Haynes manual version too (although they make it sound so simple..lol)

:beerchug:

jacko2910
19-06-2007, 04:25 PM
thanks i will give this a go

jacko2910
20-06-2007, 06:51 PM
thanks for the advice worked a treat no more knocking thanks took about 1 and half hours so not to bad

Lord Nelson
21-06-2007, 12:07 PM
no problem mate....glad i could help.

Lord Nelson
10-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Quick not to the administrator,

thought you could put the first part of this thread into the 'how to' section.
might help a few people out.

Cheers, Nelson

Ben
10-01-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm wondering what car it is?

Lord Nelson
11-01-2008, 09:35 AM
the description is for a Bora or Golf mk4.
cheers