PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Servicing Help - 2002 Audi A4 SE 2.0 (81k miles on the clock)

riscyrich
25-10-2010, 10:03 PM
2002 Audi A4 SE 2.0 (81k miles on the clock)
Guys

A little help please.... I know it's basic but I have only just purchased the above car and am keen to get it serviced before the winter sets in. I'm more than able to do oil changes etc but as I have no experience with the car I was wondering if there's anything I should watch out for.

I've determined that I need 5w30 oil for the car, will probably go with Millers XF Long Life 5w30 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W30.

Suppose questions are:

Is the oil filter easy to get to?
Do I need any special tools to get it off or will the usual ones do?
Should I use engine flush?
Is sump plug hex head, torq or allen key head?
Any particular oil filter to get? (was going to drop in at Audi and get one)
Any particular air filter to get?

Thanks in advance.

ATB
Rich

iwaters
26-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Oil must meet VW 504 00 / 507 00 spec. Check which ever one you get meets this. I use Castrol Edge 5W-30. Audi use Quantum, this can be bought from Audi or TPS.

The Sump plug is a hex head, the washer must be replaced but Audi don't supply the washer on its own so you will need to order a new plug, they are only about a £1. Get this from Audi/TPS or motor factors such as Euro Car Parts.

I've not looked at your engine before so I don't know exactly where the oil filter is but they are usually pretty easy to get to. If the car has been looked after previously you should be able to undo the oil filter with your hand, if it is tight you will need a filter wrench, any old one from Halfords will do.

I would get genuine Audi filters, they are not much more expensive than the aftermakret ones and at least you know you are getting the correct kit.

Other things to check/do:

Remove the plenum chamber cover and check the drain holes (they are under the brake cylinder and battery try). Make sure they are not clogged with leaves and debris. (If they clog, your car fills with water and you have big problems!). Shine a torch down there and use a long screw drive to clear.

Lubricate the door arresters with some grease, general purpose lithium grease should be fine. Also lubricate the door latches as they start to stick around this time of the year (use lithium grease spray, or WD40 if you have nothing else) and you will stand there slamming your door hundreds of times before it stays closed!

yaman
26-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Your oil-filter is on the left of the engine, (your sitting in the car)
close to the bell-housing and could be attached to an oil-cooler.
Its in upside-down, if you know what i mean, and is a bit tight to
get at.

Regards
Jim

riscyrich
26-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. :beerchug:

I'm guessing I have to remove the plastic tray to get to the oil filter then? Hope the clips are up for removal and re-fitting. Hate to see cheap plastic clips on something manufacturers know is going to be removed and re-fitted several times.

Do you guys use engine flush at all? I'm thinking it might not be necessary as most good oils have plenty of cleaning additives in etc.

I'll make sure I check the plenum for contamination. Used to doing things like that as MX5's suffer the same on the soft top drain holes i.e. if you don't clean them the water just dumps in behind the seats.

As for the oil filter removal, what's best tool for removal? Chain, wrench or socket (given the access and room around it)?

Thanks again guys.

ATB
Rich

iwaters
26-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Yes the clips on the noise insulation are rubbish. They get lost really easily as well. If you find you need more there is a chap on Ebay selling the full set for £15. They are about £40 from Audi.

Anyway, chain wrenchs are ok for oil filters providing you can get the chain round it and then have enough room to move the handle. I have tried these in the past:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_52 5117_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Quite a bit more expensive than the chain ones though. As I said before I don't have experince of your engine so wouldn't like to recommend one over the other.

I wouldn't bother with flush, some of the Audi engines suffer a bit with sludge build up but unless you have reason to suspect you have that I wouldn't bother. Also with flush you run the risk of losening up some sludge that then gets pulled ino the pick up and blocks the strainer.

riscyrich
26-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Ah roger that, I have a chain type and the one you mentioned from Halfords but as you have said it depends on the space around the filter, which is where the socket like type ones come into play. I'll have a look on the day and if necessary just stab it with a driver :D

I know it all sounds a bit trivial but am pushed for time this weekend and any hiccups I can avoid would be a benefit.

I think I'll leave the engine flush. I've no doubt the car has always had good oil in as I know all the previous owners, but probably not worth the risk of blocking up the gauze on the oil pickup.

Again thanks for the help...

ATB
Rich

iwaters
26-10-2010, 08:11 PM
No problem mate. Be careful about putting a screwdriver through it, oil filters are much thinner than they used to be and you might end up cutting through it. Happened to me once, took ages to get it off. Cut my hands to shreads too.

I still think you will be able to get it off by hand, I always have been able to. Its only on cars that haven't been regularly serviced that they are hard to get off.

VAGMAN54
26-10-2010, 08:34 PM
six tins of spinach will help to remove it by hand............................

riscyrich
27-10-2010, 10:24 AM
LOL - I'll get it off one way or another. No doubt I'll get angry with it but you would like me when I'm angry (Hulk stylie) :D

R