PDA

View Full Version : 1998 110bhp 142kmiles

MonmouthMarine
23-10-2010, 05:31 PM
my passat, owned 5 years.
Bought at 82k
cambelt broke at 128k put back together and 14k of happy driving.
Is due a service... Has been service always with VW505 oil but normally a bit after the interval!
now at 142k and have lost power

was over 100miles from home yesturday when it just had no power when I stuck my foot down. It had not 1min before pulled like a train off a roundabout but then nothing. Could still get upto 85mph but after a long period of time and hills were a real pain.

Checked the air filter and to be honest is very dirty so have left it out.
Have a chip box for it so removed that
Exactly the same. There is no engine management light showing.

Starts as perfect as ever and is not lumpy on tick over
Initially running if very sluggish then it kind of goes but with no real power at all, thoughts:

first thought was timming slip, now think unlikely. Belt seems tight enough.
air flow meter? but not lumpy?
EGR ? what ever that does? recircing gases or something?

I think I can hear the turbo spin and can definately here the wastegate when I back off but very quiet. Just seems its spinning up very slowly.

Turbo could be out but would expect a massive failure rather than just quietly stopping. For all the time I've had it after warming up when parked the turbo just wistles very slightly. I understand this probably isn't good?

Car never uses any oil/water worth mentioning about. One oil top up in 14000 miles and no water at all.

Going to get it plugged in on monday but any thoughts?

caldirun
23-10-2010, 06:39 PM
my passat, owned 5 years.
Bought at 82k
cambelt broke at 128k put back together and 14k of happy driving.
Is due a service... Has been service always with VW505 oil but normally a bit after the interval!
now at 142k and have lost power

was over Miles from home yesterday when it just had no power when I stuck my foot down. It had not 1min before pulled like a train off a roundabout but then nothing. Could still get upto 85mph but after a long period of time and hills were a real pain.

Checked the air filter and to be honest is very dirty so have left it out.
Have a chip box for it so removed that
Exactly the same. There is no engine management light showing.

Starts as perfect as ever and is not lumpy on tick over
Initially running if very sluggish then it kind of goes but with no real power at all, thoughts:

first thought was timing slip, now think unlikely. Belt seems tight enough.
air flow meter? but not lumpy?
EGR ? what ever that does? recircing gases or something?

I think I can hear the turbo spin and can definitely here the waste gate when I back off but very quiet. Just seems its spinning up very slowly.

Turbo could be out but would expect a massive failure rather than just quietly stopping. For all the time I've had it after warming up when parked the turbo just whistles very slightly. I understand this probably isn't good?

Car never uses any oil/water worth mentioning about. One oil top up in 14000 miles and no water at all.

Going to get it plugged in on Monday but any thoughts?
Split turbo hose, if it is whistling

MonmouthMarine
23-10-2010, 06:59 PM
I will investigate but initially think not if your thinking the whistling is it because, its more of a mechanical whistling or high pitched humming would be the best explaination.
Thanks for your reply, if it were a split hose there would be a definate blower sound? Its more like there is no turbo, or very little.

If the exhaust were blowing would it stop the turbo spoling up?

MonmouthMarine
23-10-2010, 09:07 PM
sticking turbo vanes or actuator
MAP sensor,
N75 valve
AMM

these are relevant to my older non pd model?

scotty33
24-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes,

The 110 has a similar VNT type turbo to the PD models. The 90 hp models are conventional wategate turbos.
Suggest you watch the operating linkage of the VNT actuator, this should retract when you start the engine, and slowly extend after shutting off. vacuum leaks in the small bore pipework near the airbox lid are a common source of problems, you can rule this out by sucking on the feed pipe where it branches off the large pipe that goes to the brake servo.
If you feel the vanes may be sticking, the easiest way I know of for checking this, is to unbolt the VNT actuator and stroke the mechanism back and forth, best not to alter the set position of the actuator rod, this length affects boost, so could cause problems

Martin 1810 has a brilliant explanation/troubleshooting guide on his website:

https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/home/b5-vnt-turbo-problems

https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/home/b5-vacuum-hose-diagram

If you follow a process of elimination, I think a code read is not strictly necessary, but may point you in the right direction - even then, everything is not set in stone with boost problems.

MonmouthMarine
24-10-2010, 07:45 PM
thanks that looks great, need to have a in depth read. I hope its simple! Whats the going rate for a diagnostic nowerdays?
Would it point to any inparticular that it work one second then stopped the next and has not had any power since?? Not intermitant just gutless! i had a T4 TDi that would surge power on and off, this is just a massive failure! To me that would be the MAP or N75 rather than vains? or is it just as likely to be any of the common faults?

martin1810
24-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Buy a cheap cable from ebay, get VCDS lite from ross-tech. Then do your own code read. Cost you less than £20 to identify what the likely problem.

MonmouthMarine
24-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Buy a cheap cable from ebay, get VCDS lite from ross-tech. Then do your own code read. Cost you less than £20 to identify what the likely problem.

unfortunately I have the same 400mile trip to do on wed so will have to try the quicker (more expensive) drop it in the garage round the corner from work and see if they can find it for an hours labour! wish me luck!

passat 130 tdi
25-10-2010, 11:22 AM
when it goes limp , try turning off the ignition for a second and then back on , if power comes back its overboost or underboost .

MonmouthMarine
25-10-2010, 08:22 PM
It was air flowmeter:

£20 for the diagnostic
£10 for an air filter
VW supplied meter
Total with VAT £153 :)

Not to bad really, thanks for your help