PDA

View Full Version : Advice Puhlease!

ripface
23-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi All,

My Audi A3 TDi 2.0 has started using water. I'm regularly topping up the resevoir around once a month. No obvious leaks, rad seems fine and can't see any split or leaking hoses. I popped her up on ramps today and removed the sump guard for a looksee. Again, no obvious signs of leaks ... no drip marks or coolant stains that I could see. I fired up the engine and went back below, and whilst looking up the back of the engine I noticed bubbles coming out of the side of the turbo!! There appears to be a leak at the side of the housing where there is a round plate secured by bolts and the leak is around the edge of the plate.

Some history .... when I bought the car the turbo blew on the way home!! I had to have the car RAC'd to the local dealer and was over a grand for the repair. Not a good start, but since then the car has been great. Can anyone tell me what the leak is likely to be. I presume the turbo is water cooled and that there is a seal gone somewheres. I'm just worried that this is what caused the original turbo to go, and that the dealer replaced the turbo but did not notice the water leak?

There is no sign of contamination either in the oil or the coolant.

Any help would be welcome ....

Cheers,
Ripface.

NickPicks
23-10-2010, 04:04 PM
If the dealer replaced the turbo, and the turbo is now leaking water, then it's a problem with the new turbo.

How long ago did they replace the turbo, because it will have a 2 year parts and labour warranty on it, so take it back to the dealer for them to fix.

Oh, and it's a good idea to post in the A3 forum, and tell us the year and engine code.

zollaf
23-10-2010, 09:07 PM
sounds like the head gasket has gone mate, blowing the bubbles into the header tank. a drip from a connector wont allow air in as the coolant is under pressure.
will you take £150 for it, i can come and collect it and pay cash.

zollaf
26-10-2010, 10:40 PM
have you got this sorted yet mate. my offer only stands until tomorrow.

chrislake90
31-10-2010, 07:05 PM
take the cambelt cover off and check for leaks around the water pump. this is quite common